mtbr member

Very tall, custom Ventana or other

I have researched and researched and here I am. I have a dilemma and hoping I can get some ideas from you guys. I am almost 7' (little over 6'11") and weigh about 240lb. I want a MTB. A hardtail. I haven't had one since the elementary school (I was 6'8" in the 8th grade).

Anyway, there aren't really many options. Some builders make really nice bike$ for tall people (Zinn, I believe someone here really tall has a curtlo, etc) and some tall guys also get the largest stock frames or for example semi custom Ventanas or even fully custom Ventanas.

Based on my measurements, some believe custom cranks are necessary. My goal is to get as many standard components as possible, so I wouldn't have to ship items back and forth. But if it's necessary then I'd do it.

I've heard really good things about Ventanas (I think one of the contributors to MTBR is 7' and rides a FS, if I am not mistaken). Again, I am slightly taller than an "average" tall guy and it seems like some of them (6'4"-6'8") barely fit on the largest stock bikes.

I realize that I will have to spend a few grand, but because I can't really test ride anything I am (my wife ) a little skeptical, so I hope to get some feedback from you guys.

Thanks.
    "How one becomes what one is" - F.N.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It sounds like you definitely need a custom bike. Expensive.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Get a 29er for sure. You'll definitely need custom too. There is no one who makes a long enough seat tube and head tube for a guy your size. I'm 6'5" and there are very few manufacturers who make frames big enough for me. Even the ones that have long enough seat tubes often have head tubes that are too short. My inseam (real) is 38" and my 29er has a 24" seat tube. 6'11" ....not a chance in hell of finding much (any) that will fit you. Get a custom frame. If it is made to fit, all the other components can be stock (beefy mind you). I don't know what to say about cranks; I run 175 and 180. They both work fine for me.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Former Bike Wrench
    I would probably start with a phone call to this Forum's Sponsor

mtbr member
    Thanks for quick responses. My inseam is 40". I realize that custom is inevitable.

Given that I'll go with a custom, I have a few more questions. Do I need custom cranks (probably longer than 200mm if needed)? If I do, can builders build frames around them and lift the BB (I know Zinn does this)? If I don't get custom cranks, I would just need to get a custom frame that would accommodate standard components. Would frames built by e.g. Ventana be strong enough to support my weight given the larger frame geometry?

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Have a look at Profile Racing cranks. Long but not custom. Might be a good starting point for you before full custom.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If your inseam is a true 40" (not pants inseam) you'll probably be ok with 180 cranks. Your legs are "only" 2 inches longer than mine! Like I said I run 180 and 175 with no problem and I've been riding for 15 years or so.

A custom frame will have the correct specs for the tubing if the builder knows what he is doing. There are lots of reputable custom builders who post here on the frame builders forum. They would know what to get for a guy your size. Check them out and ask. Of course Zinn build really nice bikes too!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Making fat cool since '71
    Cranks: High Sierra if you need longer than 185, period. They make the cranks for Zinn and charge about $120 or so less...for the *same* crank (well, minus the etched "Zinn"). Profiles are awesome...and heavy, but you will not ever break them on a XC bike.

Bikes: Zinn knows how to make a bike for a tall dood. Ventana as you mentioned can make some great stuff. Check out Sycip also. They build quality and make tall boy bikes. DeSalvo makes world class bikes, their wait list isn't ungodly and can get you in for a reasonable price.

Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There are many other custom bikes as well. I would not rush into it.

mtbr member

Im the Curtlo Guy

Here is what I am building with Doug from Curtlo for about $3700 built plus tax. Ventanna will also build you a bike no problem as well. I e-mailed Sherman (the owner I think) and he was happy to do it but its, expensive. The downside to Curtlo is no matter what he says it's a really long wait 7-10 months. Im 6'10" 285 lbs with a 40" inseam. It is pretty impossible to not go custom at our height.

Advanced Mountaineer 29er Frame
    XT derailleurs, chain, cassette and shifters
    Avid Code 5 disc brakes 185mm rotors
    White Industries M16 rear hub 36h (Black)
    White Industries front hub venti 20 thru axle 36h (black)
    DT Alpine spokes (black)
    Salsa Gordo 29er rims 36h
    WTB Laser V saddle
    WTB Weirwolf 29x2.55 tires
    Race Atlas AM 700 riser bar 31.8
    Thomson X4 stem 31.8
    Thomson 31.6mm seatpost
    HSC long cranks w/Race Face chainrings 215mm (Black if possible)
    Phil Woods BB
    Chris King headset (Black with Black letters)
    Oury grips
    Fork White Brothers Magic 29er 110mm 20mm thru axle (ordered with
    heavy duty crown(same crown as fluid))
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I would probably start with a phone call to this Forum's Sponsor...
    Thanks. Basically, I am trying to weigh other options against Zinn (price, convinience, customer satisfaction etc).

Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK
    Have a look at Profile Racing cranks.
    I'll check those out.

Quote Originally Posted by dru
    If your inseam is a true 40" (not pants inseam) you'll probably be ok with 180 cranks...
    It is 40". But if I use zinn's formula I get something close to 220mm. BB would definitely have to be raised with such cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    They make the cranks for Zinn...Profiles are awesome...and heavy, but you will not ever break them on a XC bike...Zinn knows how to make a bike for a tall dood...
    Thanks. Some very good info here. That's why I wanted to weigh other options (price, convinience, customer service etc) realizing that zinn would make a good bike.

Quote Originally Posted by sxotty
    There are many other custom bikes as well. I would not rush into it.
    I've been looking around for some time. Hopefully which ever way I decide to go, it won't be my last bike, so it'd give me an idea, albeit an expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtymerider
    Here is what I am building with Doug from Curtlo for about $3700 built plus tax...
    That looks really good and the price is very reasonable. I heard good things about Curtlo. I'll keep that in mind.

What do you guys think for material for big/tall riders (not trying to start up any argument here) ? I believe Ventana is aluminum, Curtlo is steel and some can also do Ti. I don't think there are many builders who can make a steel cheaper than Curtlo, so the minimum that I am looking to spend is probably little over $3,000 (frame $1,000+, fork and strong wheels $1,000+, the rest $1,000).

Thanks.

p.s. This is the first time I am quoting anything on forums, so I appologize if it isn't clear.

mtbr member

Walt Works

Walt works will build a black frame for $1100 I think and he keeps you in the loop really well with his blog. Curtlo has the best deals I found. Especially on full builds since his markup is tiny and he is getting the custom cranks for way less then Zinn from the same manufacturing company. I would stick to steel for a number of reasons. The biggest being its more forgiving. When you stretch a frame out to our size it needs a little give. With oversized tubing it will still be rigid but if it needs to give from stress it will bend instead of snap like titanium and aluminum. Either way the frame is shot but you are more likely to stay out of the ER. Dont worry too much about weight since it is all relative to size. Thats just my 2 cents after months of research. Also Ventana and Zinn will be out of that price range.

Good Luck
    Live Large

mtbr member
    bigtymerider thanks. I was thinking the same thing and I am really considering a steel frame given that there are several good options. The only downside with Curtlo is the wait.

mtbr member

Kent eriksen

I would Give Kent Eriksen call he uses the ventana rear ends on a ti frame and can do any custom job you need. He built me a bike about a year a go and it has changed my life with riding. for you who don't know kent he founded moots and sold them to make a smaller company to get back intouch with the custmer who shares the same passion of riding. www.kenteriksen.com

tell him Tom from bike tek in medford sent you aka Tommyboy

Please note this is not my bike its just what I found on google.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I only made it to 6'5" and most std bikes are too small for me

So custom is the best bet but it doesn't have to be one of the big name builders just someone who knows what the hell he is doing

29" wheels for sure.... but maybe a 36"

all depends on how you ride and what you want your bike to do

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    I would Give Kent Eriksen call he uses the ventana rear ends on a ti frame and can do any custom job you need.
    He uses maverick monolinks and the Yeti as well. Vent and Mav can have 5" of travel. I honestly don't think the prices are to outrageous in comparison to buying a stock frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    let me just ask one thing.. what size shoes do you wear? be cause i have size 17s and i'm 6'3".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    I would Give Kent Eriksen call he uses the ventana rear ends on a ti frame and can do any custom job you need...
    Those Eriksen bikes look really good. My LBS is one of the biggest moots dealers and I loved how they looked, but the price seemed a little steep. The good thing about custom Ti frames is that their price is not much higher than the stock frames.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot4300
    let me just ask one thing.. what size shoes do you wear? be cause i have size 17s and i'm 6'3".
    I wear 16. I can't believe you are 17 at 6'3". I played ball in college and very few guys shorter than me wore bigger shoes. How do you find cycling shoes? Can you fit in 52s? I think the biggest I found were 52s (two models only: Sidi dominator 5 and shimano m086).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I second the WaltWorks recommendation. He knows a heck of a lot about bike fitting. Not sure if your leg to torso ratios are "normal". Femur to ankle ratio, etc. Would "standard" geometry fit you(just everything bigger) or would you need a truly unusual frame......
    Talk to Walt!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BorisTheBlade
    I wear 16. I can't believe you are 17 at 6'3". I played ball in college and very few guys shorter than me wore bigger shoes. How do you find cycling shoes? Can you fit in 52s? I think the biggest I found were 52s (two models only: Sidi dominator 5 and shimano m086).

thanks i haven't tired either yet but this friday i might be in luck. but i do think i have a bike that might fit. from seeing this picture it looked huge the seat post is way way up there it is the AS-R Carbon from Yeti

at the bottom of this link there is the price for this bike.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

heres a picture of this bike.

i hope this helped. i saw it in a magazine last night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii
    I second the WaltWorks recommendation...
    Thanks. I heard good things about him and I was considering contacting him.