mtbr member
    May 2011

Upgrading my bike for my "upgraded" build...

Greetings all I'm new to the forums and have decided to get back into mountain biking. I've got a 2006 specialized s-works aluminum frame with some older parts that i'm thinking about upgrading and i just wanted some suggestions on what some good choices might be. Oh and i'm 6' 3" and weighing in at 260 lbs.

So here's my list of desired upgrades:

Suspension Fork (currently have an 2001 or so SID Race)
    Seat (I've always hated my seat so why not upgrade)
    Handlebar (older easton carbon bar, don't want to break it with my larger frame and thinking about trying a riser)

- I'll be changing my wheelset too but i found great suggestions for those

Thanks for all your help and insight in my attempt to upgrade my bike to one that i can beat on with no worries about durability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You'll be limited in fork selection by the frame geometry. Likely have to stick with 100mm travel unit, but the axle to crown measurement is what you need to maintain. You'rr within the weight limits for most air sprung forks. You will want something with 32mm or larger stanchions to reduce flex.
    Seat; get your sit bones measured. Specialized actually makes some excellent saddles.
    Carbon bars are a lot stronger than most will give credit for. most horror stories about "weak" carbon are from the 90's. Any easton ec series bar will still be well within it's operational lifetime. The biggest problem is when scratches or impacts get down to the weave, any impact that would destroy a carbon bar would damage a steel or aluminum bar beyond usability as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    good advice from the rat...

Depends upon how much you want to spend on the fork, but if you've got the coin, you can't go wrong with a Rockshox Reba.

Jan 2006
    Saddle Suggestions, try out the WTB Pure V saddle. I have them on both of my Mountain bikes. I run the Specialized Alias 155 on my road bike and it's a good saddle too. I Had the Sonoma Gel on my Hardtail but it separated from the rails and they wouldn't warrantee it.

As for a Fork, you can pick up a FOX 32 F100 from 250-350 which is a badass fork. I have an F100RLT that has been modded by PUSH and paid $350 for on one of my bikes and just bought a OEM Take Off Fox "ALPS" model fork which is a basic "Float". I would've gotten a Reba if I hadn't found that deal. This is going on a budget backup/buddy bike.