mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Upgrade or save up for a better bike?

I got a Trek 800 singletrack bike to see if i would get into mountain biking, and got addicted, and go every day, sometimes up to three times a day. I just finished my first 23 mile ride, and ive decided i need to upgrade or save up for a new bike.

The 800 has no suspension, wich hurts my butt, and my hands, when im going over the rocks, in fact it will rattle me so much i cant see. I like the feel of the bike (other than the no suspension part) and im not sure what to do.

Upgrade the forks to a rockshock front suspension? Upgrade the shifters? Upgrade the wheels? Or should i just save up for a new bike?

Opinions?

(my bike is on the left)

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Save up. You can only polish a turd so much...

The 800 is a fine bike, but is little suited to more than a dirt road. Always better to have more bike than you need than to need more bike than you have (but after 18 years of riding, I am still waiting for this to come true for me )
    Last edited by Pitch; 08-13-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'll agree... ride the hell outa your 800... replace only what has to be replaced (what you brake) and save the rest of the money for a new rig...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    i'll agree... ride the hell outa your 800... replace only what has to be replaced (what you brake) and save the rest of the money for a new rig...

Yep... agreed. And remember, its an investment. I bought a new bike instead of upgrading back in 1998 (and spent a good chunk of change as a teenager) but I still ride that bike 11 years later.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    +1 on saving for a new ride, and not throwing money away polishing a turd. BTDT.

Best investment on your current bike is to improve the rider. If your butt and your hands are sore, you're not putting enough weight on your legs. MTBing isn't like road biking - you shouldn't be in the saddle all the time, but up on your legs, shifting your weight around.

There are a couple of budget upgrades you should plan on. For "suspension" get the fattest, highest volume tires that will fit, and run them at the lowest pressures you can without pinch flatting.

Saddles, bars, and grips are a personal thing, and your riding position will change as you get more experience and gain strength, so budget a hundred or so for the inevitable cockpit changes.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well it sounds like ill be savin up for a nice new good bike! Thanks for the advice everyone