mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Upcoming Bike Purchase Suggestions

Hello Fellow Clydesdales,
    This upcoming season will be my 4th. I have been riding a hard tail GT Avalanche 3.0 since I first started and she as done me well. But not sure how much longer she is gonna last wheel/frame/component wise. Plus my skills have surpassed a low end bike such as this so would like to move onto the $1000-2000 price range.

I have done my fair share of research but stuck on what type of ride I should go with. Below are the 3 style of bike I could potentially go with. I weigh 250lbs at 6'3" and have allot of finesse for a large guy so not terribly hard on my equipment.

- 26 FS
    - 29r Hardtail (with a suspension seat or suspension post)(Leather springed saddles look like they would do the trick)
    - 29r FS

Now I have a vague list of bikes but do not want to include them so as to not sway your responses. I just don't want to have major issues setting up he rear suspension due to my weight. Or have issues with frame/suspension ridgity with my weight. But on the other side don't want to beat up my back with a hardtail.

Well guys just let me have it

- Pete

White Knuckle Rider
    I decided on a AM bike since I am a bigger guy... AM designed bikes seem to be a little more durable than light XC bikes.

I love my Spec Pitch... not too heavy, but feels strong.

It's a FS 26, but I admit I would also like to have a 29er!

Happy Shopping, Good Luck!!!
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Crump, What does your bike weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by crump582
    I decided on a AM bike since I am a bigger guy... AM designed bikes seem to be a little more durable than light XC bikes.

I love my Spec Pitch... not too heavy, but feels strong.

It's a FS 26, but I admit I would also like to have a 29er!

Happy Shopping, Good Luck!!!

Has anyone discovered a more more XC-type bike that doens't flex under them. I would like to not have to goto a heavier AM build.

I haven't been able to pull up any decent google searches for suspension seats (leather or vinyl). If I could find a good suspension I might possibly go hard-tail, Any thoughts on this fellas?

White Knuckle Rider
    I'm not sure what mine weighs now... I run it as a 1x9 and plan to go tubeless on some 2.1 tires instead of the 2.35 that are on it. Might be a little lighter than stock, but not much. I'm 6'1 and weigh 255... so I need to shed some POUNDS before I worry about my bike at this point.

I like the way the Pitch rides... it doesn't feel heavy to me.

If you decide to go hardtail you might want to look at the thudbuster seat post. Friend of mine loved his until he moved to a FS bike.
    EAT, DRINK, AND BE MERRY... FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Okay I am currently leaning heavily towards the Giant Trance X3. Its more of an AM bike for my extra weight but somehow people still consider it XC-esque.

I was initially put off a little with the 5" of travel since I'm coming form a hardtail and wanted a XC style bike for XC riding, since I have a 7" travel bike for my downhill needs, but I see allot of good comments about its climbing abilities. Also that the Trance X3 comes in around 29lbs *shrugs*

- Pete

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are there any clydes riding the 2011 Anthem X?

You guys seeing any flex in those frames(excluding rim flex, I can fix that)?