Large and In Charge

Cool-blue Rhythm Ultimate Clyde Custom Mach 6 Build

Ok, so I posed the question a while back about what people's ideal Clyde trail/AM setup would look like. I didn't get a lot of feedback, but I ended up building up my dream setup after a bunch of overtime shifts. I'm about 5'11" and run between 250-260 nekid depending on how much I've been riding. I live in Eagle, CO, which is where I ride 90% of the time, usually about 2-3 rides per week in the snow-free months. If you haven't heard, Eagle is the next big thing in Colorado mountain biking and is about 30 minutes from Vail. Terrain in Eagle is fast, dry, sometimes loose, flowy goodness. In Vail it is usually more rocky singletrack.

Why is she Clyde specific, you ask? I chose each component specific to me, my size, and my riding. I am fat and slow uphill, but I enjoy riding fast-ish for a 35 year old fat guy on the downhills. I was looking for something durable, stiff enough to not be a noodle under my size at speed, and fun to ride on both our flowy trails and some of the stuff I drive to. It had to be light enough and able to handle the climbs too, because after all, it's the Rockies, and what goes down, must go up first. I sacrificed weight for beefiness, and as you'll see, there are even some parts that you would find on a DH rig. Value was a factor, there wasn't a blank check, but this still was a pretty penny. I'll list out the options and the thought process:

Frame: Pivot Mach 6, Size Large, Stealth Carbon. I tired to keep it low key because I didn't want to get called out by all the skeleton leg shavers demanding to know why a doughnut eater has a NASCAR looking bike.

Suspension: Fox Float X Kashima in the rear, Pike RCT3 150mm up front. Supposedly the bike was designed around the Float X. The Pike is the beefiest, baddest, angriest trail fork to support the doughnut powered rider on top.

Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry from my old bike. Custom sizing for my ass bones. Still hurts like hell.

Seat post: KS Lev (Non-internally mounted, didn't want to pay $150 or whatever to hide 8 inches of cable.

Drivetrain: Full Shimano XT for durability and performance. 2x10 setup with the smaller little ring (24/38) XT cassette with the bigger range (11-36) keeping as low of a granny as on a 3x setup. The big ring still has plenty of gear for downhill, there is just a bigger jump from big to little when shifting in the front.

Brakes: XT with Icetech Rotors. Big moto style 203mm rotors up front for power and heat and 180mm in the rear. I learned on my last bike that clydes need serious brakes or you will be hurdling down a downhill trail at a ski resort bailing onto a fire road, then a real road, stopping by dragging your feet on the pavement (true story). I will never ride $hitty brakes (were Elixr 1's) ever again if I can help it.

Wheelset: Stan's Flow, their AM setup. My buddy has XC wheels on his Mach 6, I went beefier for my Clyde setup.

Tires: Went with High Roller II front, Ardent rear, tubeless.

Pedals: XT Trail, seems like same as everyone else I know

Cockpit: DH grade Easton Havoc 750mm bar and 60mm Havoc stem. Super beefy front end. The stem is like an anvil, may go to Haven later and may someday do a carbon bar. Installer put the KS Lev trigger on the right hand side. Not sure why, but now I'm used to it having never had a dropper post before to get used to. They installed the little indicators on the XT shifters. Doesn't bother me, but don't really need them. They are actually really small and sleek and hardly noticeable. I don't think they weigh much considering the 7lb sandwich I just ate. I run a Garmin Edge 200 and log my rides (I'm on the Clydesdale group on Strava, feel free to follow me). ODI Ruffian grips. All this stuff makes the cockpit a little busy like an F-16 or something, but I guess it kind of is.

So here are some pics, feel free to post questions about your own setup, I did a lot of research. The build was by Competitive Cyclist. If you want to ask me about them, that would probably require its own thread, but fire away.

I also looked at the Bronson AL (I would have bought an alloy M6 if I could have, I'm more of alloy budget kind of guy). The new Santa Cruz lower cost carbon offerings sound pretty interesting though. I also considered Yeti SB 75/95, Ibis HDR, SC 5010, and some others, too.

Oh, the ride: This thing is awesome. I thought picking it up would be just like riding a bike. It was, but the adjustment from my Tallboy has been a little more than expected. I broke some of my DH Strava PRs on my first ride or two. I got cocky and crashed HARD hauling a$$ probably shattering my record on a local freeride type trail in Eagle. A few busted ribs and cautious ride later, I've brought it down a notch and I am just enjoying the bike and getting used to it. It isn't super light, especially with my build, but if I had to guess, I'd say 29 - 30lbs. It climbs awesome, especially if I throw the Float X into trail mode. I'm still working on getting the suspension settings and PSI dialed in, but I think this is going to be my sled for quite a few years and will create a ton of smiles. Now if I can just get my riding worthy of such a machine, I will feel better. My next upgrade might be a skills class...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Clyde Custom Mach 6 Build-photo-4.jpg  

Ultimate Clyde Custom Mach 6 Build-photo-1.jpg  

Ultimate Clyde Custom Mach 6 Build-photo-2.jpg  

Ultimate Clyde Custom Mach 6 Build-photo-3.jpg  

Ultimate Clyde Custom Mach 6 Build-photo-5.jpg  

NotoriousMHz
    Looks like you've put some time and research in and built it up exactly the way you've wanted. Awesome.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Mr. Chaos Theory
    Sweet Ride!!

If i ever retire my Mach 5 it would be replaced with a Mach 6!!!!!!
    WeLcOmE tO tHe CoLlEcTiVe.

2009 Pivot Mach 5
    2009 Trek 6K (commuter)
    Base of Operations NH USA

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That is such a sweet ride!!!!!! I really like that the build went for "right" and not "extreme", no wasted money.

Life is good when you have the right tools in the right location. Great bike in a great place to ride. Enjoy it.
    HBSURFDAD
    2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29er evo. XXL.