mtbr member
    May 2007

Wink UBER-Clyde with a Kona Jake

Hello Community,

I am back in the saddle with another noob question.

I recently purchased (and did not receive yet) a Kona Jake and have a question on the rims.

Do I have to replace the thin rims and tires because of my 315lbs of body weight?

Can I get away with purchasing better tires and keeping the factory rims?

I would like to work this bike up to be my commuter and this entails a 35+ ride per day round-trip.

I did not post this in the cyclocross forum because I need advice from fellow Heavy weight riders.

Thank you Everyone!

-Danny

too fat to care!
    I am also an uber-clyde (yes my name is Cochese and i'm tubby) I wouldn't see why the stock rims and tyres wouldn't hold up succesfully.

Had stock rims on my 2003 Cinder Cone since I got it and only broke 1 spoke in that time

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have had a Jake since they first came out, 99 or 2000, and have put many miles on it. Currently I weigh 325 and have never had a problem with the wheels. I have had to have them respoked this year, but that is normal wear. Both rims are 32 spoke. Of all of my bikes this one is my favorite. Enjoy.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You should be fine with cross or hybrid type tires like 35 or 38, or if you want road tires go for some 25 or 28.

Members who have read this thread: 0