mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Tubeless tire pressure for 250 ibs rider

I have Gary Fisher x-cal. I had tubeless in front and tube in back, no both are tubeless. I ride tech single track mainly because closest to me but Lots of rocks, roots, rocks in creek are rounded but on trail pretty sharp.

I have risen with 35 psi but that was with tube in back. Any tips from the other big guys out there?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Carry a frame pump and experiment. Different tires and conditions will yield different 'best' pressures for your style.

Not that it will help, but at 220 loaded I tend to prefer about 25 psi for MOST of my riding. I've ridden as high as 30 and as low as 20. I carry my pump always and adjust as needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well just making sure I didn't damage wheel or anything but guess can't have a pinch flat now. I have a pump coming, I carry a tube and co2 just in case so will start back at 30 and see how she feels

Didn't want to burp the tire either too low and my weight and get stuck putting tube in on the trail !

Former Bike Wrench
    I was generally running about 28 psi on my 29er hardtail Gorilla Tape tubeless setup with 29" x 2.00" Michelin tires. No burping, good traction, no dents in my rim (not real rocky, lots of roots and log crossings). This was with me being around 230lbs plus my Camel Back which is probably 15lbs full.

On my full suspension 29er with Sun Ringle Charger wheels (BST rims) and Specialized 2Bliss 29" x 2.25" tires I was running 25 psi comfortably.

mtbr member

! am also 250 w/o gear and...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman30 View Post
    I have Gary Fisher x-cal. I had tubeless in front and tube in back, no both are tubeless. I ride tech single track mainly because closest to me but Lots of rocks, roots, rocks in creek are rounded but on trail pretty sharp.

I have risen with 35 psi but that was with tube in back. Any tips from the other big guys out there?

Thanks
    ride with the same pressure as you tubeless. 5 years without a flat so I would say it has worked very well for me. Started at 38 front 40 rear and worked my way down. 35 rear 32 front is pretty smooth with Geax Saguaro's and quality steel frames. did a 3.5 hr ride last week with zero lower back pain.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    now i am all tubeless now, i put 32 both, and seemed to have good grip and i did hit some small stumps with a little pop by accident of course, and no damage to tires, may try a little less in rear, did have some areas i wanted more grip, but may just be my bad style and not the bike

3.5 hrs ride is awesome, did hour this am, but did enjoy a few adult beverages last night, and the single track near me has about 750 ft of inlines, this may be very small for most of you but i'm a just getting back into this and my cardio SUCKS bad !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rule of thumb I go by to find the pressure that works best for different tires is to start with whatever pressure has everything but the outside row of knobs on each side touching the ground at the contact patch when riding straight on flat ground (so you can adjust this at home in the driveway).
    In my experience most tires work pretty well like this and it's a good starting point to dial in the best pressure for you, your tires & your trails.