mtbr member

Tubeless or not for a superclyde?

I was going to be swapping out my wheels and was thinking about getting some rims that will go well with tubeless tires to take advantage of the greater traction of running lower pressure without the pinch flats that are so prevalent with heavy riders.

What are you other 300 pounders using?

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Mavic 819s with Chris King hubs. Very happy with them. Get them built by a reputable builder, though.

NormalNorm
    I got some 819's and 3.1's. I love em'. The 819's if built well, are pretty much bomb proof. Once you ride with tubeless you will never look back to tubes again. I weigh 240lbs and run the front at 32psi and the rear at 35psi. About 5 psi less then tubes.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    Once you ride with tubeless you will never look back to tubes again.
    Completely agree. When I'm on the trail and see other riders with saddle bags, CO2 strapped to seat posts, and CamelBaks full of tubes, I recall distant memories of trailside frustration and appreciate Stan's and UST.

One word of caution as a clyde; you should still carry a good pump (I carry a TopPeak Harpoon). It's not unheard of when running lower pressures to lose the bead momentarily at odd angles in the rocks or roots. That can cause you to lose 10-15 psi from your tire. Best course there is to jump off and spend about 20 seconds topping the tire back off because the risk of it happening again gets greater if you're running below pressure. For context, this happens to me about once every few dozen rides, so it's still way out in favor of tubeless.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

NormalNorm
    [QUOTE=scottyperkins]One word of caution as a clyde; you should still carry a good pump (I carry a TopPeak Harpoon). It's not unheard of when running lower pressures to lose the bead momentarily at odd angles in the rocks or roots. That can cause you to lose 10-15 psi from your tire. Best course there is to jump off and spend about 20 seconds topping the tire back off because the risk of it happening again gets greater if you're running below pressure.QUOTE]

Thats so true and great tip for new tubeless riders. Yup, i learned the hard way.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, will be going the tubeless route.