Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless Clydes

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tubeless Clydes

Curious to what tubeless setups you big boys are running? I'm new to the game and in the process of building up a 29er. I was messing around with running tubeless CX tires on a set of WTB Laser TCS trails and at 250lbs they were definately burping, even when I used a Sealant compatible Kenda tire. OF course Cyclocross tires are much narrower than MTB tires so I needed a lot more pressure than your normal CX racer would use. I've read that with MTB tubeless it's much much easier because of the larger volume tires and that often times you don't need tubeless versions of tires.

So what are you guys riding on for tubeless and if you could include how much you weigh, I'd appreciate it. Specifically interested in knowing what you guys 235lbs and up are riding on. Also, any pitfalls your having with setting up tubeless would be great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Honestly, i'd get a schwalbe if i were you. I'm 250lb 6'2 clyde and i ride some specialized tires right now, which i'm not necessarily impressed with. I've tumored out several non tubeless ready tires. Make sure you get something with thick sidewalls. The specialized tires are okay, the schwalbes are nice and the maxxiss crossmark ust's and ikon ust's are nice as well. I've never had any luck running tubeless nevegals...always burp and always tumor. I think Kenda is coming out with a thicker sidewall UST tire soon though..or already has?

One thing I always do is feel the sidewalls of the tires before I buy them. I'm the big and tall guy at the LBS that feels up every tire on the rack lol.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'd go with kit that's intended for only tubeless. Big guys shouldn't mess around with "maybe it will be good enough"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ya, 10 posts now I can do stuff!

Tubeless blowout wipeout

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wheels are the tcs from wtb so they arr ready to go. Sounds like i should be definately rocking tubeless specific tires

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Run tubeless ready tires using UST spec beads and that should take care of the problem
    WTB TCS
    Specialized 2Bliss
    Hutchinson Tubeless Ready
    Bontrager TLR
    Geax TNT
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham77 View Post
    ya, 10 posts now I can do stuff!

Tubeless blowout wipeout
    good thread, very informative. thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    260 pounds down to 230 on WTB i23's, 29er. I have run 2bliss tires and Schwalable TCS tires (purgatory, escar 2, and Hans Dampf specifically) with excellent results. Just cut the escar so I'm getting a Nobby Nick w/TCS and sidewall protection ordered in. All of these tires will very comfortably run into the mid 20's pressure range. I've gone down into the high teens pressure and found that they still have impressive rim-bead grip. At 18 pounds the bike is squirming and shifting around uncomfortably due to the sidewall flex, but I've yet to burp. When you're airing up the tire you get some impressive pops and snaps as the bead seats; very reassuring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    260 pounds down to 230 on WTB i23's, 29er. I have run 2bliss tires and Schwalable TCS tires (purgatory, escar 2, and Hans Dampf specifically) with excellent results. Just cut the escar so I'm getting a Nobby Nick w/TCS and sidewall protection ordered in. All of these tires will very comfortably run into the mid 20's pressure range. I've gone down into the high teens pressure and found that they still have impressive rim-bead grip. At 18 pounds the bike is squirming and shifting around uncomfortably due to the sidewall flex, but I've yet to burp. When you're airing up the tire you get some impressive pops and snaps as the bead seats; very reassuring.
    wow, I'm surprised to hear that you are running pressures that low at your weight. that is very promising for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 6'6" and 260 lbs. Running S-works captains, 2.0 x 29 tubeless on bontrager race x lite rims. I run each tire at 40lbs. No issues yet

mtbr member
    I'm 245#. I ran the stock Specialized 2bliss tires all summer tubeless with good results. Until I slashed a sidewall on the rear tire, that is. I run about 28-30 psi in the front, 33-35 psi in the rear w/o tubes.

I run higher pressure than many for 2 reasons -- 1) I didn't like the squishy feel of the tire at lower pressure, especially the rear; and 2) most of the trails I ride are very rocky, I like to plow through rough sections, and I don't want to risk dinging the rim on a rock due to low pressure.

The flat protection from thorns, etc, is good enough reason for me to go tubeless. It was nice to go a full 'season' without a flat tire. Again, until the sidewall was cut in late September and the sealant couldn't keep up with the gash. That was a messy tube install!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=

The flat protection from thorns, etc, is good enough reason for me to go tubeless. It was nice to go a full 'season' without a flat tire. Again, until the sidewall was cut in late September and the sealant couldn't keep up with the gash. That was a messy tube install![/QUOTE]

Can't wait to go an entire season without a flat - I was getting ready to buy stock in an innertube company! Seriously, I bet I swapped out ten tubes this season!

mtbr member
    Mavic crossmax and specialized tires.im 245lbs and jump alot.air pressure in front 35 and 36 to 37 in rear.anything less and i feel the rear tire folding over on landings.ive had no burping issues so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have non-tubeless rims and have trouble with burping out back with my 330 lb girth. I have yet to try a tubeless specific rim but the best luck I had was with a GEAX Gato TNT, great looking bead but rim just sucks tubeless (MTX 33 29er).

Specialized also has the GRID tires that are a true UST tire. Super thick sidewalls and nice beads. I'd try those if you are having problems.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs without gear. I ride on Stan's Flow EX rims with Nobby Nics 2.35 front (~28-30 psi) & rear (~32-35 psi).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am 6'2" 245# and have been running Mavic 819 tubeless UST specific rims with Kendall nevagal tubeless front tire and Maxxis Larson TT or cross mark LUST rear tire. I've run this setup for years and have never had a flat or burp. I run 30 - 35 psi. Only time I had a problem was when I burped a non ust specific tire on the rear. As long as you run with UST tires you won't have a problem. I've also ran bontrager and specialized UST tire and had no problem. before tubeless I would get pinch flats all the time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is all promising. I ordered some geax mezcals which should be ideal since ill be doing some road riding on these. They are the tnt version so I should be all good. I just hope they will seat with a pump and not need a compressor. Ill find out in a couple days when they come in and report back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" 250 lbs, plus gear another 15-20lbs I guess. Running Stans wheels with the Stans heavy rim strips not the yellow tape, on a WFO 9. Running a WTB Kodiak 2.5 in the front at 35psi and a 2.2 Nevegal in the rear about 38psi. Neither tire is ust but the heavy rim strip holds them in place perfectly. I was running the Nevegals in front and back but went to Moab and put on the 2.5 on the front was thinking about doing the rear as well but left the 2.2 in the back (did the tubeless switch over at the same time for both front and rear). Loved it so much I didn't switch after Moab. Had a little trouble getting the bead and rim strip to install centered and true on the 2.5, no problem on 2.2. But haven't had any problems with them. Haven't had a flat all season long.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Looks like I need to try a little more air in my tires per the Stans website recommendation...

Tire Pressure

For me loaded at 240 with gear, I should be running 33 front and 36 in the rear. I noticed on my last ride (only have about 8 rides on the new bike) that the front end washed out a bit in some of the tight corners and the rear end felt squirrelly in those same corners. Maybe a little more tire pressure will help with that.

mtbr member
    Hans Dampf on Flows.

25psi front, 30psi rear.

6'4" 265lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    265lbs down from over 300. Stans Flow EX and Spec Purg 25-28 psi up front and Fast Trak 30-32 psi in the rear. I went with the Purgatory up front cuz I wanted a little more volume, and grip over roots and in the wet. I don't like the feel of the Fast Trak over 32 psi, as it feels more springy and bouncy, rather than grippy.

But I don't think the Control casing likes me running that low of psi, as I can see the sidewalls are starting to break down a bit. I think the Grid casing might suit me better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Stans Flow - Weirwolf 2.55 - 20psi front/ 20 psi rear
    6'8" 280lbs
    no burps and lots of traction and root/rock compliance.
    low pressure / high volume tires are the BEST suspension !

mtbr member
    More flows here. I'm 6' 225 without gear, running bontrager 29.4 tires (29 x 2.3 but they feel a bit bigger than other 2.3's I've ridden).

I run 26 in the back, 22 in the front and haven't had any problems aside from the occasional ding on a rock. Probably looking to go with a bigger tire on the flows and build up a different wheelset for smoother rides in the not terribly distant future.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    update:
    So i've got a couple weeks of riding under my belt and have tried a couple dif things. Started out around 40psi front and rear because I have to do a decent amount of road riding to get to the trails. initially didn't remember to take any air out until i rode for awhile. When i got home it appearead I had taken it down in the high 20's up front. The last couple times out I went with 32 front and 35 rear and had zero problems. I'll probably be looking to go even lower next time out. I'm 250lbs and running WTB TCS Laser Trail wheels with 2.1" Geax Mezcal TNT tires. So far so good, very happy with tubeless, had a slight sidewall tear that didn't seal but that was because I actually had used very little sealant when initially setting up the tires and there was none in there. I went home and used some Vittoria mastik tubular glue and a regular patch on the inside of the tire then remounted the tires with plenty of slime sealant and no issues with the sidewall, very slight bulge but did some extensive riding a couple days later without issue. Also ran over a sheet metal screw on my way to the train station the morning of my last ride. pulled it out, spun the wheel a few times and kept hearing air come out. rolled the bike so the hole was on the ground and applied some pressure onto the bars for about 5 seconds and VOILA! sealed up! topped it off a bit with my frame pump and continued on my ride without any incidents. Tubeless and clydes I'm a big fan!!!

mtbr member
    260#'s
    Bonte rhythm elite rims
    Bonte 29-2 team issue tires.
    Stans.
    27 PSI rear.
    25 PSI front.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast