Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless Clydes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    I've got 4 or 5 long rides in on the Hans Dampf rear and its holding air great with no burps. Split tube method is definitely the way to go on the MTX33 rims.
    After almost another 3 months of riding the split tube method is still holding up perfectly. No issues whatsoever. I think I'm gonna grab a Stan's downhill rim strip (should stretch for 29" and still be wide enough) and try it. Hoping the Stan's strip will work just as good, be reusable, and make it easier to swap tires.

mtbr member
    260 lbs without gear.
    29er with:
    Schwable nobby nic’s on WTB i25 with American classic valves and gorilla tape.
    Stans (cup and half in each)
    Currently at 18psi front and 19 rear. Gunna drop one more pound each.
    Just made the jump to tubeless. Conversion was easy. Ride feels nice. I have ridden twice so far this season and love it. I have not flatted yet.
    This forum was what finally drove me to take the tubeless plunge. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Tubeless Clydes

Quote Originally Posted by Gasket-Jeff View Post
    260 lbs without gear.
    29er with:
    Schwable nobby nic’s on WTB i25 with American classic valves and gorilla tape.
    Stans (cup and half in each)
    Currently at 18psi front and 19 rear. Gunna drop one more pound each.
    Just made the jump to tubeless. Conversion was easy. Ride feels nice. I have ridden twice so far this season and love it. I have not flatted yet.
    This forum was what finally drove me to take the tubeless plunge. Thanks!
    How wide of a.tire is it that you can run it that low?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    How wide of a.tire is it that you can run it that low?

Standard Nobby Nics that came OEM on my bike. 2.25. it is a plush ride. I initialy read through this entire forum and tabulated all rider weights and tire presures that were posted. from there I found the average person of my weight on this page was running 30/33 psi (the formula posted by stans for my weight is actualy 33/35). I did notice a small amount of people were going much lower. It didnt seem worth my time to ditch the tubes if I was only going run 30 psi as I can do that with tubes. So I decided to go lower. I stared at 25 psi and didnt notice much of difference, so like Pee-Wee Herman with a limbo stick I said 'How low can you go" My first real ride was at 20 psi. I though I can go lower with out it being squirly so I droped two lbs up front and one in the rear. Side wall at 18/19 folds but does not buckle. I think a big thing that helps is the wide rims. My rims are 25mm wide (internal) would go wider if I had the cash. With a wide rim you are less likley to burp due to corner stress. I cary a tube when I ride cause im scared of flatting. With my WTB rims once the bead is seated in the rim, it is realy stuck in there. When I was doing this job I had to redo one wheel. I had to work really hard to get the bead out of the rim. Big kudos to WTB for the i25 freeq rims. I did need a compressor to get the tires to seat. I inflated to seat the bead. deflated added sealant with an injectore and used a floor pump to inflate again.
    Tubeless Clydes-peewee3.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    wow, I'm surprised to hear that you are running pressures that low at your weight. that is very promising for me
    Im 260 lbs running wtb 125 freq rims and noby nics. comfortably and 18ps1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I cannot see it. Same set-up, running 25 front, 28 rear. Racing Ralphs came off bead in fast corner, throwing me over the bars and off the trail yesterday. I am 245 lbs. Maybe I am just faster than I thought. lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Tubeless Clydes

Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post
    I cannot see it. Same set-up, running 25 front, 28 rear. Racing Ralphs came off bead in fast corner, throwing me over the bars and off the trail yesterday. I am 245 lbs. Maybe I am just faster than I thought. lol
    I agree. Nobody 260 is running 19psi. They must have a bogus gauge. Wider rims help

mtbr member
    Just got a set of charger pros. Still sittin in the box in fact. 22.8 inside width. But at 210 lbs, I am thinking...more like 28/30. Can't imagine running anything less than 25 psi.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    About 245 in gear. Running Easton Haven with Maxxis Crossmark LUST. According to my gauge. 29 front - 31 rear.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    240 with gear, wheel has 22mm internal width, 2.4 Ardent front at 26psi and 2.35 Ikon rear at 28psi. Working great for the rocky trails here.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hans dampf front, ardent 2.25 rear on Roval Traverse wheels

Mid 20's front, high 20's rear

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Had a Kobby Nic front/Racing Ralph rear and kept them around 27 psi on Yeti SB95 and 220lbs plus gear. Went to Hans Dampf front and rear and been running around 25-27 depending on trail conditions on Enve AM wheels, LOVE this set-up. Now that it's summer I'm going to throw on another Racing Ralph in the rear but I can not see running any less then 23 lbs reliably, but I tend to be on the faster side of the scale and run in intermediate terrain in Georgia.

While a benefit to going tubeless is indeed running a lower pressure, it's also a weight benefit and where the weight is located on the wheel in terms of circumference. There will still be a benefit to running tubeless over non even at same pressures. I wouldn't be comfortable at anything less then 22/23 psi as at 25 and my weight I can feel the tire squirming on hard pack.
    13 SB95c/XT/EnveM60ChrisKing/RF NextSL/PikeRCT3SA/CCDBAcs/KS Lev
    13 ARCc/EnveAMChrisKing/XT 1x10 OneUp

change is good
    Sep 2004

Tubeless Clydes

Have to admit, my RaRa SS are pretty tough at 650gm. Notable failures - Conti Protections, Phythons, FastTrak Controls, Nano. This comes at the expense of price and wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I cannot comment on the accuracy of my guage as I have only the one gauge on my filzer zepher pro floor pump. they did feel a lil squirrely last ride. I think due to errybody on this forum telling me I shouldn't go so low and the squirrely feel I will go back up a few psi front and rear. so I will be 260 lbs running imma say 22 rear 20 front, no wait i like odd numbers so 23 rear 21 front.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Woaaaa, RaRa' SS are tough ? Man, those are the fastest wearing tires I have ever used, knobs break down after a few hundred miles….good race tires, but do not last Fast Trak Controls , which I now use on fronts have over 1000 miles and still going strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasket-Jeff View Post
    I cannot comment on the accuracy of my guage as I have only the one gauge on my filzer zepher pro floor pump. they did feel a lil squirrely last ride. I think due to errybody on this forum telling me I shouldn't go so low and the squirrely feel I will go back up a few psi front and rear. so I will be 260 lbs running imma say 22 rear 20 front, no wait i like odd numbers so 23 rear 21 front.
    Maybe the tire can hold the rim at those low pressures, but you have to watch out for dinging the rim on an impact to the wheel, too. Yeah, you can't 'pinch-flat' a tubeless tire, but you can do one worse by denting the rim and making it so it won't seal up anymore. At that weight and in rocky conditions, I'd be real hesitant to go that low.

I keep mine around 30 psi. I don't like the squishy feeling, and we have a lot of rocks here in Utah.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Maybe the tire can hold the rim at those low pressures, but you have to watch out for dinging the rim on an impact to the wheel, too. Yeah, you can't 'pinch-flat' a tubeless tire, but you can do one worse by denting the rim and making it so it won't seal up anymore. At that weight and in rocky conditions, I'd be real hesitant to go that low.

I keep mine around 30 psi. I don't like the squishy feeling, and we have a lot of rocks here in Utah.
    Okay 23/25 but no higher. till I ruin my rim and my shoulder doing it.
    Never let the reality become larger than the dream ~ P.W. Herman

change is good
    Sep 2004

Tubeless Clydes

Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    Woaaaa, RaRa' SS are tough ? Man, those are the fastest wearing tires I have ever used, knobs break down after a few hundred miles….good race tires, but do not last Fast Trak Controls , which I now use on fronts have over 1000 miles and still going strong.
    Tough for weight, but fast wearing. I got the first gen on close out for $33 with free shipping. You want tough and long wearing? Saguaro TNT. It's a beast. I'm thinking of the Fast Trak Grids as my next rear tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    300 LBS
    Stans Arch EX Rims 29"
    Stans rim tape
    Stans Sealant (the sidewalls do no seal with slime pro, believe me)
    Schwalbe Tunder Burt Race Guard 29"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBilly View Post
    300 LBS
    Stans Arch EX Rims 29"
    Stans rim tape
    Stans Sealant (the sidewalls do no seal with slime pro, believe me)
    Schwalbe Tunder Burt Race Guard 29"
    What pressure?
    Never let the reality become larger than the dream ~ P.W. Herman

Climbs = necessary evil

Tubeless Clydes

I'm riding Roval Control Carbon 29 wheels and weigh in at 230 right now but trying to get back under 220. I follow the divide the weight by 10 and add 2 psi to the rear (25 psi) and 1 (24 psi) to the front. Feels pretty good to me although I could probably drop 1 or 2 in the front.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I don't see how you guys deal with the bouncyness of some tires at low pressures, especially on hardtails. I know a rear shock can take some of the bouncyness out of the equation bc I've felt it on my Kona Hei Hei 29er and Titus El Guapo before.

On the way home from buying my 14' Trek stache hardtail, I noticed the ride was pretty bouncy in the 17mph range when pedaling sort of hard. When I got home, the pressure was at 24psi.

6'3" and 215 with gear. not quite a clyde but I would think at higher weight, the bouncyness would get worse.
    Last edited by berny2435; 06-20-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Oh you're a clyde, Berny.
    ( Clyde class is 200 lbs +).

And I agree with you. I like my tire pressure just a tad under 30 psi (so far) and I'm 210 lbs., riding 22.8 inside diameter sunringle 29er rims.

I am thinking other factors come into play however. Thickness and stiffness of the sidewalls, for example. Also, a tire that feels great climbing in the rocks at 5- 10 mph might feel totally different cornering on pavement at 25-30 mph.
    Last edited by Centurion_; 06-20-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    I would think a stiff sidewall could lend to more of a spring effect.

I'd imagine there's a happy medium in which the pressure feels real nice but a couple PSI lower or higher starts to get more bouncy and pingy. each tire having different sweet spots.

i'd guess that thinner sidewall and tread tires actually have a bigger window of optimal pressure b/c the tire doesn't have as much spring effect.

keeping a good pedaling cadence would help if running lower psi.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Climbs = necessary evil

Tubeless Clydes

If I go too low in tire pressure in the rear, my bike feels squirrelly in the corners.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast