Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless Clydes

mtbr member
    Any success with tubeless on Sun Rhyno Lite rims? I have some Hans Dampf tires going on, which supposedly work very well for tubeless conversions. Mostly, I am just not sure the rims are beefy enough, and I am pretty sure they aren't tubeless rims. I would like to try ghetto tubeless to save money, but I get the feeling that would be tempting fate... anyone have success with a good ghetto tubeless setup (using a 20" tire over the rim tape, NOT the gorilla tape only version)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    6'1" 290's

bonte mustangs
    Bonte FR4 2.35
    stans
    25psi Front/Rear

Sun Ringle Black Flags
    Bonte XR3 2.10
    stans
    27 - 34psi depends on trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    195 cm and 100 kg (6'5" and 220 lb)

Ride a fully rigid On-One Inbred 29er and use Stans Arch rims with Stans tape and valve.

Initially ran Mavic Crossmarks (non tubeless specific) for a month or so and then managed to rip the sidewall on one of them.

Changed to Specialized 2Bliss tyres and have run them for approximately 2 years without getting a flat tyre and I run at about 28 p.s.i.

Started with Fast Trak rear and The Captain front. Then went to The Captain front and rear for the wet conditions over winter. Have now switched to Renegade rear and Fast Trak front for the dry conditions of summer. I am a big fan of the Specialized tyres and have not had a single incident of them burping.

The Stans ZTR rims are fantastic and I have been able to seal tyres on the bead without any sealant installed (using a compressor) and I am able to fit the tyres with sealant using a track pump without any problems.

I only top up the Stans goop every 4 to 5 months and I am now 100% converted to tubeless and for the last 12 months or so I have not even bothered carrying a spare tube with me!!

Cheers,

Gags

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    6'2" 280lbs

WTB TCS Weirwolf 2.3 AM front/rear
    WTB TCS i23 front/rear
    Chub Hub front/Octane rear
    38 psi front/ 42 psi rear

very nice.

mtbr member
    6'4" 300lbs stock Spec Alex rims and Spec GC "2 Bliss" tires. No issues and running 35psi front and 40psi rear. Run 55-60psi on the street. Dropped almost 4lbs on bike weight since I had the thick thorn tubes and liners. Best upgrade I have done yet. Bike feels like I just spent $800 on new rims.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Unstable Corruption

Tubeless Clydes

6'4", 245 lbs ungeared.
    Running Charger Pro 26" and 2.25 LUST Ardents, oh and i use gorilla tape instead of yellow stans.
    No problems at all.
    Also tried 721+ black stans strip, had burps with non-UST tires, and absolutely no problems with LUST maxxis tires or TL ready Schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Tubeless Clydes

I'm currently running tubeless on sun ringle rhyno lite. With just rim tape. I'm using wtb Bronson and wolverine. I have to use a compressor or co2 to inflate but other then that they hold really well at 36/38 with 275 lbs above them.

mtbr member
    I heard CO2 and Stans don't go together well??? People say the CO2 tends to dry out the Stans before it's time. I wouldn't know because I've never tried it...

obsessive
    CO2 dissolves in water to carbonic acid, and the carbonate precipitates with ammonium. It's the ammonium that stabilizes the butadiene latex, when it is "lost" to ammonium carbonate the terminal carbon-carbon double bonds in butadiene polymerize to form the latex boogers you all know and love... So Zenke speaks the truth. No CO2 unless it's needed to finish a ride and get you home.
    Go out and ride your bike

mtbr member

Tubeless Clydes

255# I was running roval rims that comes stock on spesh bikes on a hardtail with non tubeless tires no problems with burping. If I ran under 32 in the front and 36 in the rear I ended up having to get the wheels trued and even replace some spokes.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psunuc View Post
    Hans Dampf on Flows.

25psi front, 30psi rear.

6'4" 265lbs.
    250 lb in my spandex, Hans Dampf on Stan's Arch, UST rims and tires. I'm running 20 to 25 PSI, but still have to hit some serious single track. I may need to bump that up a little.

First let me say what a HUGE improvement these wheels are over the stock bontrager ones. My build from Treefort came with the HD hubs, which has turned out to be a bit of a pain as there aren't many 20 mm thrus on 29er forks. Stan's has a nice adapter, and it's still a lot better than QRs.

mtbr member
    Around 265 without gear. Just started running 29" Flows with Stan's yellow tape and valves; 2.35 NobbyNic TLR SS front (32 psi) and 2.25 RaRa TLR SS (35 psi). I've been running Geax Saquaros tubed on the same wheelset for the last couple of years due to not trusting tubeless at my weight. So far, impressed with the tubeless set up. I am running a few pounds less psi than I did when running tubes. The effect of not bouncing off of every root and rock in the trail is big improvement and the increased traction is a nice benefit as well. As long as you don't go extreme on the lower pressures, it seems tubeless will be fine for us gravitationally challenged types. Although, I personally still have more faith in a true tubeless ready system.

mtbr member
    Been running Flows with yellow tape for more then two years now....and they have yet to let me down and I have 40lbs on you. Like my buddy says "Tubeless to the People!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Tubeless Clydes

I'm currently at 234lbs. 5'10". I ride very aggressively... On a HT 29er. I've been looking for this discussion for a while now.

I'm on Mavic Crossmax St 29 wheels. Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralph up front and a Bontrager XR3 team 2.25 rear. Both running tubeless.

I'm still trying to work out the tire pressures right now. I'm currently at 35 up front and around 40 in the rear. I'd like to go a lot lower in the rear but I already see it squashed pretty low at 39 to 40.
    I'm looking forward to reading what you other guys are running!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Tubeless Clydes

Quote Originally Posted by Warnerja27 View Post
    I'm currently at 234lbs. 5'10". I ride very aggressively... On a HT 29er. I've been looking for this discussion for a while now.

I'm on Mavic Crossmax St 29 wheels. Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralph up front and a Bontrager XR3 team 2.25 rear. Both running tubeless.

I'm still trying to work out the tire pressures right now. I'm currently at 35 up front and around 40 in the rear. I'd like to go a lot lower in the rear but I already see it squashed pretty low at 39 to 40.
    I'm looking forward to reading what you other guys are running!

I am 5 10 250lbs w/ the same wheels on a full suspension. I have ground controls tires 2.3 front 2.1 rear. I run 32 in the front and 36 in the rear.
    No issues.
    Rode the same set up on my stock my hardtail too

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Tubeless Clydes

That's good to hear... My plan is to keep going a bit lower abd lower until I hit at sketchy point.... This is my first week tubeless..... Only have two rodés in so far. I'll go down to 36r 32f tomorrow morning and see how that works out for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    5'10" 230 geared up. Stock Giant S-XC2 wheels, Schwalbe RaRa EVO TLR front and back ghetto tubeless with Gorrilla tape and valves out of some old tubes. Been running 40 psi all week for my commute to and from work.

Going on a ride this Saturday. Going to air down to 29 front and 33 rear. Carrying extra tubes just in case...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I posted prevously about my disdain for MTX33 rims set up tubeless. One method I hadn't tried was the split tube method. I got my front set up with a 24x2.1" split tube and a 29" Nobby Nic. Set up super easy and has been holding air with no burps at 28 psi on very rocky trails. I just set the rear wheel up the same way but don't have any rides to confirm pressure or burping. I'm about 340 lbs now. I'll post back up with experience on the rear wheel with a Hans Dampf.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rode with BigRingGrinder at Sycamore Canyon today. No burps, no flats. Just about ate all of the tread off of my rear tire though! Going to be looking at a new tire real soon...

mtbr member
    Flows plus really any proper tubeless tires that aren't silly light or flimsy. I've had great luck the the Schwalbe (NNs, HDs) and really any Specialized 2Bliss series tires (Purgatory, Captain, Ground Control, etc.). ~260#.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    6'2" 250...I have Stan's Flows, yellow tape, Stan's Valve, with Kenda Nevegals 2.35 UST front and back. I usually pump to 40 psi. I ride fast as hell on the downhill and have always run my pressure high in the past to keep from pinching. I've been riding this tubeless setup through the winter and been riding really hard since spring. Lot's of really rocky trails where I'm at. I'll hit small drops probably no more than a couple of feet. None-the-less have not had a single issue yet. I also used CO2 to pump my tires the first time just to get them to seal. Other than that it's been just a regular pump. I haven't had a single issue yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Now THIS is an interesting thread.....

I just switched to a tubeless setup.

Using 29in Easton Havens with Maxxis Crossmark UST tires. 220-225lbs. I literally have only two rides on this setup, and was looking for more information on what the "rest of the world" was doing. Being a noob this thread was a help. What I really need is a good tire pressure gauge! My last ride was somewhere around 30psi front and rear.

I hope the Crossmarks hold up as trail tires... Pumped up they are actually really good on the street - but that ain't what I wanted 'me for!

Good info folks!

Ow!

Tried all, but UST rims and tires work the best

I am 250lbs, down from 290lbs a few years ago. I have tried most tubeless setups, even the split tube method (worked OK, but not great).

Generally, the best setups are UST rims (Mavic 819/823, Easton Haven) with UST tires (e.g., Hutch Barracuda, Geax UST, Panaracer Fire UST). Generally, the UST tires seat on the UST rims with no soap and using a good floor pump (I have a Lezyne Dirt). I also have had almost as good of luck using tubeless-ready tires (e.g., Geax TNT, Hans Dampf Evo) on UST rims or tubeless ready rims (e.g., CB Iodines), but sometimes it is difficult to seat using a floor pump, so I just pull out the compressor. I also use tube tires on UST rims, with mixed ease of installing. Air pressure for all setups is 30-40 psi depending on the tire and f/r.

When I started tubeless, I converted my tube rims using a Stan's kit. Mavic 519 (719) was easy. Rhyno XLs were almost as easy. Mavic 721 was a bit difficult. All required a compressor. That setup was when I was most likely to get burping.

What combination I use depends on the bike and how I ride it. The big bike has UST rims with a UST or good tubeless ready tire (strong sidewall). I have complete confidence in dropping 4-5' (or 6-7' if I don't get skeered). The tube tires on UST rims is only for my XC HT, which sees no more than 2' drops.

So, what I have found is that using a tire and rim for what they are designed to do is always the best. Adapting for what they are not designed to do means more difficulty installing and taking more of a chance with failure on the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    I posted prevously about my disdain for MTX33 rims set up tubeless. One method I hadn't tried was the split tube method. I got my front set up with a 24x2.1" split tube and a 29" Nobby Nic. Set up super easy and has been holding air with no burps at 28 psi on very rocky trails. I just set the rear wheel up the same way but don't have any rides to confirm pressure or burping. I'm about 340 lbs now. I'll post back up with experience on the rear wheel with a Hans Dampf.
    I've got 4 or 5 long rides in on the Hans Dampf rear and its holding air great with no burps. Split tube method is definitely the way to go on the MTX33 rims.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    250 in my boxers, w/gear probably 265.
    full squish-sungringle charger experts with NoNi/RaRa combo snakeskin.
    full ridgid- stans flows RaRas on both ends with snakeskin.
    4ozs of stans in each rim.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast