Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tubeless Clydes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSCHMITT View Post
    Mavic crossmax and specialized tires.im 245lbs and jump alot.air pressure in front 35 and 36 to 37 in rear.anything less and i feel the rear tire folding over on landings.ive had no burping issues so far.
    Same wheel and specialized tires here, currently around 245lb-250lb with gear. I am running 38lb in front(Captain Control 2.2) 40lb in rear(Michilen Wildrace-r 2.25) No issues so far. I tried the Continental x-King front and rear but could not get them to hold air and the front blew completely off the rim....back to the lbs the went.

mtbr member
    6'2" 215

Carve SL's with Captains front and back (2.1)
    usually run 25 up front and 30-33 in the back

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    Curious to what tubeless setups you big boys are running? I'm new to the game and in the process of building up a 29er. I was messing around with running tubeless CX tires on a set of WTB Laser TCS trails and at 250lbs they were definately burping, even when I used a Sealant compatible Kenda tire. OF course Cyclocross tires are much narrower than MTB tires so I needed a lot more pressure than your normal CX racer would use. I've read that with MTB tubeless it's much much easier because of the larger volume tires and that often times you don't need tubeless versions of tires.

So what are you guys riding on for tubeless and if you could include how much you weigh, I'd appreciate it. Specifically interested in knowing what you guys 235lbs and up are riding on. Also, any pitfalls your having with setting up tubeless would be great.

I'm 260 and run a ghetto tubeless setup on my stock Goblin wheels. I think they are Laserdisc. Anyway, just run Stans and gorilla tape. 700 miles this year on them with Kenda smblk8's. Just went with a Geaux AKA on the front. Everything has been good. I ride rooty rocky single track mostly.

mtbr member
    Arch ex with conti race kings 30/30psi, no problems with burping or squirming @280lbs.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I've had medium luck with Tubeless. Both failures have ended in crashes, one with a dislocated shoulder.

245lb rider.

1. I run Stans Flow rims with Rocket Ron tires. This setup is rock solid so far and holds air super well. I ride at around 32-35psi normally. I have burped these only twice. Once doing down something way too steep and grabbing hold of a jutting root. It ended up with an endo ride down the rest of the trail.. I managed to save it, and had only burped a bit of air.

2. Same set up, took a small jump, landed a smidge off camber. Good night. Tire off rim, into the ground.. high speed crash.

3. WTB Team i19.. Maxxis Ikons. Non tubeless setup on tubeless rims. Rear tire lasted about 1km into the bush. Put a tube in it. Didn't heed the warning, didn't tube the front. High speed dip through a ditch, tire blew off, down I went, shoulder dislocated.

I love my Stans / UST tire combo. It really requires a lot of force to turf a tire. The i19s I have yet to try with tubeless, but I'd avoid any sort of non tubless tire on it. Its a disaster waiting to happen for a big guy.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

banned
    Dec 2012
    yeah, ya, 10 posts now I can do stuff!

mtbr member
    Been running tubeless on Stans 29" Flows for over two years with CST Caballero and Tioga Psycho Genius at 300 plus lbs (current weight is 295lbs) without issue on rocky/rooty Single Track. I normally run them at 28psi but with the snow and mud here lately I've dropped it down to 26psi...again without issue. I don't really like going Airborne because it can get expensive but it happens...and still no issues even at 26 psi. Tubeless is the Sizz-Nit!!!

mtbr member
    People if you are burping tires up your pressure, just don't go over what the rim or tire is designed for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBikr View Post
    People if you are burping tires up your pressure, just don't go over what the rim or tire is designed for.
    What are you reading? Pretty much everyone has said no burping issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's the point then?

If you're satisfied with the performance at 35...just ride 40 and you wont have any pinch flat and its not like you'll notice the difference because you obviously dont have any kind of real tire sensitive anyway.

This is actually really easy. Get a good UST rim and Tire. Run them in the mid-25psi range. Get good traction, a smooth ride, light weight running gear, puncture and pinch flat resistance, and live happily ever after.

or.

Try some half arsed tubeless conversion system. Spend more time and money experimenting with $80 tires and stans kits and gorilla tape, than if you'd done it right the first time. Plus you get to live in fear of the burp-crash as you run these experiments and maybe rack up an e-room bill or two, take some time off to heal, and if you're lucky you'll end up with something that's reasonably functional that you can safely ride at about 30 pounds, and then next week the tire you've identified as the holy-grail model that works with your system will get canceled by the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

6'5" 230lbs in bday suit

I run Stan's Arch EX wheel with Schwalbe TR (tubeless ready) Racing Ralph's and Stan's sealant. I race XC and have been able to run as low as 23psi in front and 29psi in rear with no problems. YMMV

mtbr member
    Well if people are burning at 35psi then they are'nt doing something right or bad system. But if i had to run 40 to keep from burping then least they riding out.

Edit this was supposed to be reply to post 35.
    Last edited by WVBikr; 12-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well if people are burning at 35psi then they are'nt doing something right or bad system. But if i had to run 40 to keep from burping then least they riding out.
    who the hell said they are burping consistantly at 35psi? are you even a clydesdale yourself?

mtbr member
    who the hell said they are burping consistantly at 35psi? are you even a clydesdale yourself?
    Read post 35 never said a exact Psi people were burping at. If you have read all posts #4 give link with posted burping. And yes Im 6"3 235lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Read post 35 never said a exact Psi people were burping at. If you have read all posts #4 give link with posted burping. And yes Im 6"3 235lbs.
    this made no friggin sense

change is good
    Sep 2004
    We're heavy. Don't run light tires. Ignore the lighter riders when they critique the weight of your tires. The 650gm Snake Skin RARa on the back of my FS makes me nervous. Use Stan's type rims with TR tires. Super Clydes should run UST tires/rims.

mtbr member
    this made no friggin sense
    You make no sense go troll somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Weigh 250, currently running:

2.25 Ralph front @ 30ish psi
    2.2 x king rear @ 35ish psi

Velocity blunt rims

Ralph took time to seal completely but the feel is great will not go back to tubes

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You make no sense go troll somewhere else.
    I type in clear concise sentences. Your post was not. Perhaps it was an autocorrect issue but it made zero sense. You got a of balls coming into a thread i started and calling me a troll

mtbr member
    Was typing from phone wasn't trying proper grammar.
    Done with thread was just giving my insight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Was typing from phone wasn't trying proper grammar.
    Done with thread was just giving my insight.
    Thats fine. Usually when auto correct jacks things up people can figure it out. I couldnt (and still cant) with your post

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    We're heavy. Don't run light tires. Ignore the lighter riders when they critique the weight of your tires. The 650gm Snake Skin RARa on the back of my FS makes me nervous. Use Stan's type rims with TR tires. Super Clydes should run UST tires/rims.
    There's a lot of truth to this.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    210 lbs on my Giant Anthem I run a Maxxis igniter on the front and a Maxxis cross mark on the rear with Stan's Arch's 24lbs front, 30lbs rear no problems with burping.

I run the same tires on my SS XXIX just ghetto tubeless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ovwok View Post
    210 lbs on my Giant Anthem I run a Maxxis igniter on the front and a Maxxis cross mark on the rear with Stan's Arch's 24lbs front, 30lbs rear no problems with burping.

I run the same tires on my SS XXIX just ghetto tubeless.
    I can get away with light tires, where I ride there's not a lot of rocks.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    235 pounds with camelbak.

Crossmax ST with tubeless specific Nobby Nics and Rocket Rons--- 35 rear, 28 front. No problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast