mtbr member
    Jun 2006

trying to get back in the saddle, and need some serious fork advice...

Okay, so, I just spent much more time typing this out, and my GD web browser just crashed, so I gotta go bare bones (because I don't have the patience to type it all out again):

I'm a clyde (5-11, 275-290lbs) just getting back into riding, after being off for about 10 years. These forums (and reviews) have been tremendously helpful, and I just made a downpayment on an 06 Kona Hoss today.

However, I've also picked up the vibe on the Hoss' fork. My LBS has some (what I think are) pretty decent sales on right now, and I thought that I could shell out a little extra $$$ to upgrade my fork while they're still willing to swap the stock fork out and give me a little $$$ back for it. And the thing is, while I'm slowly wading through everything on the forums and reviews on forks, I've gotta admit that I'm in over my head on this.

I'm trying to keep to a price range (before $$$ back) of $400-650 Canadian. These are the sales I'm looking at:

Manitou
    -05 Flick Plus
    -05 Stance Static
    -05 Stance Flow

Marzocchi
    -04 Dirt Jumper 1
    -04 Z-1 Dropoff-1
    -05 All Mountain 3
    -05 Dirt Jumper 1
    -05 Dirt Jumper 3

I'm also considering just getting them to order something new (maybe RockShox Reba's?) that would also fit in that price range. But I thought if I could get something that would otherwise be out of my budget for a decent price, I should go for it. The LBS guy was pretty sweet on the Stance Statics, but I figured you all were the ones who knew best on the bike, so you'd know best on the fork, too.

My riding's not going to be anything too serious yet (urban + light to moderate trails), but I'd eventually like to try to step it up (hopefully).

Also, thoughts on sticking with 4" of travel on the forks vs. going to 5" of travel?

Any advice would be more than appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmmmmm, being a reasonably big guy myself (6'3 - 230 a couple months back), I gotta say stick with Marzocchi. I have a Marathons SL myself, which is awesome, but might be a little lightweight for your needs.

I'm gonna have to go with the All Mountain. As a matter of fact, if it were my money, I would get this AM1. http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Of course, if you are planning on taking some drops you might want to go triple-clamp, but for just agressive trail riding the AM is perfect.

The dirt jumpers are nice, but just don't have the plushness and adjustability of the AM.

mtbr member
    I would go coil, and as much as I like Marz. they do coil/air. I think the best fork for you would be a Pike, but that would require a 20mm front hub. The manitous are decent forks, and the Stance are solid.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Okay, new conundrum:

I think I may want to go with something new; I figure if I'm going to be getting (hopefully) years out of these shocks, I should try to stretch the budget a bit.

Manitou Nixon Elite
    Rock Shox Pike 426
    Marzocchi All-Mountain (possibly 1)

Thoughts?

I like the features of each; I really like the range variability on the Pikes, and the price point is decent; the Nixons seem great, but a little more expensive, and the All-Mountains, well, seem terrific, too, but are pretty expensive, and have a long travel.

Again, any input would help a ton.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh yeah - in addition to input on the above shocks, would Manitou 05 Minute 3:00s be too soft for a guy like me?

it tied the room together
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus clyde
    Oh yeah - in addition to input on the above shocks, would Manitou 05 Minute 3:00s be too soft for a guy like me?
    I'm 6'4, 265 and use a Minute 1:00. The '04 and '05 1:00 used coil springs and mine are upgraded to the stiff ones. The Minute 3:00 is an air fork. Many big guys shy away from air but depending on your riding style you may not need to. I've been happy with my Minute but am looking to swap it out with a Pike for the beefier stanchions etc. once I can swap out my wheelset as well. FYI, I'm thinking about getting the Pike 454 air u-turn or double air.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'0, 255 and am using the marz 05 am1's 100mm-120mm. you can find them real cheap, found mine on ebay for aprox $300 brand new uncut

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you get the Pike, the U-Turn is a must-have feature -- I found it indispensable on my Revelation. BTW, the Revelation has been good and smooth, but I would go for the added stiffness of the through axle Pike if I did it again.

Or, If you go the Marz All-Mountain Route, you may want to check further whether it has on-the-fly travel adjustability -- or more aptly, find out how quickly it can it be adjusted. The U-Turn takes about ten seconds to stop/unclip/ turn the relatively stiff dial the appropriate amount. Not something you want to spend a lot of time doing.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by optimus clyde
    Okay, new conundrum:

I think I may want to go with something new; I figure if I'm going to be getting (hopefully) years out of these shocks, I should try to stretch the budget a bit.

Manitou Nixon Elite
    Rock Shox Pike 426
    Marzocchi All-Mountain (possibly 1)

Thoughts?

I like the features of each; I really like the range variability on the Pikes, and the price point is decent; the Nixons seem great, but a little more expensive, and the All-Mountains, well, seem terrific, too, but are pretty expensive, and have a long travel.

Again, any input would help a ton.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Okay, so after a LOT of searching, I tracked down a new set of Pike 426's at a really good price. They are currently on their way to me.

A quick question, though - does anyone know how high I should be able to crank the travel on them, given that I'll be putting them on a new Hoss - or will I simply able to use all of what they give me?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Dj3

I'm your size and have a Kona Stuff and a GF GED. I run an older z1 on the Stuff and a DJ3 on the GED. I really like the DJ3. I used the stock springs with 20w oil and set the air pressure. So far, it's great