mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek Stache vs X-cal for Big Guy

I am a novice rider, 5'10 and 350 or so and am looking for a bike to help me continue on my weight loss journey (Down almost 50 already).

My riding will consist of a combination of paved paths, off road paths ( Horse trails and old train roads) and some trails with moderate ascent/descent, nothing crazy... Years ago I rode a GF HiFi Plus and had a Trek hardtail so I have experience with both.

I have spent some time in my LBS and it looks like a 15.5" frame will fit best, 17.5 leaves no room for the boys

I was hoping to keep it under 1300 or so but with the Stache 6 coming out that creates another option.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    5'10" on a 15.5" frame? That sounds too small to me. I'm having a hard time imagining someone as tall as you needing a 15.5" frame. At that height, unless your legs are quite short, you should be getting toward 19" frame territory IMHO. You don't necessarily need a ton of room for 'da boyz', and the standover on the 15.5" Stache is only 1cm less than the 17.5" Stache. On the X-Cal, it's a 2cm difference and a tiny bit better standover for the same size in a Stache.

Get your bike based on the correct top tube length, not the standover. If the standover is that much of an issue for you, I'd recommend looking for a frame with the correct top tube length that has a dip in the top tube. Some WSD designs might be more 'nad-friendly' for you. Riding a bike that is too short in the top tube blows chunks, especially when you have to get your butt up off the saddle.

If your personal physical dimensions are a bit outside the norm, you may be best served looking into a custom frame. They will cost more, but fit is priority one on a mountain bike.

JMHO.

mtbr member
    First off congrats on the weight loss, keep it up!!! Im down to 269 from 360 1.5yrs ago thnx to eating better and riding my butt off same types of places as you. Now riding more technical challenging trails, even entered a race the local club put on just to get a feel for it. Didnt end well cause I got so wrapped up in eating right and training race day came and little over half way into the race i got sick and heat exhaustion. more your ride, the better youll get and the more fun youll have as you loose more weight.

Kinda of an apples to oranges on the bikes being stache uses same frame design but standover is slightly less do to increased fork travel. And space for the boys you need to hike your pants up till they are pulling them up against the rest of you then check standover. Pants/shorts and loose fitting underwear will give you a false sense of being too close to the top tube. Honestly you dont need much space if wearing loose fitting clothing. If commando in gym shorts the top tub makes my shorts tickle the hairs,lol. And never once in my series of bailouts, otbs, crashing what ever have I ever inflicted any pain on them from the top tube. Getting end of the bars into the jewels mid flight isnt fun though,lol.

My advise, best way choice is best components for the money but dont go higher end/lighter weight especially in the wheel department. have 32 or 36 hole wheelset, and air forks. From the 2 you listed go Xcal. Stache has more travel but 28 hole wheels. Fork is same etc. And Xcal has slightly better components, where as stache has lighter frame and wheels. And I can vouche for the Xcal 9 and how its fit. Will hold you and ride well as its very close to my Trek marlin that I have changed everything except the seatpost on. Forks, frame, wheelset will hold up well. Driveline and brakes are nice and also work great.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the feedback!!