mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Trek EX vs Top Fuel

Hi - I weigh about 220 lbs and have raced for many years. I like race tuned bikes but my LBS says the top fuel 8 would not be a good idea at all for me and strongly suggests the EX 8. Do any clydes have experience with these 2 bikes? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have ridden both and currently ride a EX9. The TF is a great bike, but feels a bit nervous in the handling department compared to the EX. I can also feel and appreciate the extra travel the EX provides being a larger rider(6' 2" - 225lb), especially with air suspension. The EX feels more like a jack of all trades, where as the TF is a more focused bike for less disiplans.....I guess it comes down to what type of ridding you do...for me hanging out with the buds on a 6hr ride, or bombing down a single track, with a few rock drops thrown in for good measure seemed like more fun on the EX.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ride an '08 EX 8 and I love it, never rode the top fuel so I can't compare. I did just have the left chainstay break on my EX 8, however, Trek has sent a new swingarm and my bike should be ready to ride again tomorrow. Even with that issue, I love my EX 8.. I am 5' 7" and a fat 225 lbs and ride the 17.5" frame, only thing I changed was I upgraded to a set of XT cranks (replaced the big ring with a bash guard) and the tires.