mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Trek Cobia for bigger guy

I posted this in the beginners forum and was directed to this one so here it is.

I am 6'2 and currently weigh 360lbs and would like to fit in healthy activities in my daily routine and biking is something that I am interested in. It would be mostly for ashpault and flat trails to begin with and as the weight comes off maybe some more robust trails in the future. I was thinking the Trek Cobia or an x-cal would be a good general all rounder bike. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Help selecting new bike

Recent thread that may help?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    I posted this in the beginners forum and was directed to this one so here it is.

I am 6'2 and currently weigh 360lbs and would like to fit in healthy activities in my daily routine and biking is something that I am interested in. It would be mostly for ashpault and flat trails to begin with and as the weight comes off maybe some more robust trails in the future. I was thinking the Trek Cobia or an x-cal would be a good general all rounder bike. What are your thoughts?
    You need an air fork if you want a front suspension, so the Cobia is good for that. A Manitou Tower Pro with an XXFirm spring is better as a fork upgrade.
    Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical
    IF you start on trail riding, which is the most fun type of bike exercise, you need FlowEx wheels or better.

A Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 with a 189 Raidon air fork upgrade from Nick at Suntour would be cheaper than the Cobia and be as good.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You need an air fork if you want a front suspension, so the Cobia is good for that. A Manitou Tower Pro with an XXFirm spring is better as a fork upgrade.
    Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical
    IF you start on trail riding, which is the most fun type of bike exercise, you need FlowEx wheels or better.

A Bike Direct Gravity Point 1 with a 189 Raidon air fork upgrade from Nick at Suntour would be cheaper than the Cobia and be as good.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    This is all true. I am 6'4" and started around 290 (< 280ish now) and have a '12 Cobia which has been great so far. Air fork works great and havent had any problems with it bottoming out or being too rigid. The wheels, however, are a different story. The stock wheels suck and I have already bent both. In the wheels' defense, I have been riding about 98% trails. I have a set of Hope Flow Ex's on the way though so that should remedy that deficiency! Otherwise, a great bike! Also heard the Rockhopper is a stout bike for bigger guys...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm 6'9 and when I got my Cobia last December I was 370, it held me up no problems. I'm 295 now and really loving it, there are definitely better bikes out there, but bang for the buck I have been very pleased with my cobia. I have been told that wheels and brakes are the first thing to be upgraded, I have yet to have a wheel issue so far but wont be surprised when I do. I am not riding to crazy, especially since im a big clyde, but I dont take it easy on my bike either, ride a lot of trails and singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the info! I am you going to the city next week and plan on test riding a few bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Also check out the Stache 7. Little bit more ($1500 ish) But well worth it. Im 6'3 290# and have about 70miles on my 21in Stache 7 and love it. Very "Clyde" friendly bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Another Trek bonus for clydes is lifetime warranty on the frame. Came across a guy in another thread that cracked 2 Superflys (I think) and had no problem getting a new frame each time. Frames are solid but this is added peace-of-mind for us big guys...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I am 6'8" and just over 300"lbs riding an 2011 XXL Cobia. The bike has held up well for the most part. I just upgraded the wheels to 36h SunRingle MTX 33 Rims with Hope pro 2 Evo hubs and triple butted Sapim spokes. Much less wheel flex. I feel I can pedal better as my rear wheel stays more round. I also noticed the front would Flex side to side, Occasionally rubbing my Bontrager FR3 against the fork. No such thing with the new wheels.

I will have to test against pinch flats. Would get them occasionally with the stock setup. Switched to higher volumes tire in the rear and with the wider profile of the sun ringles, I am hoping this will be an issue of the past. I thought about Stan's rims, but at 300+ the max tubeless pressure is too low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Trek Cobia for bigger guy-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372766167.232162.jpgTrek Cobia for bigger guy-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372766182.466489.jpg

New ZTR Flow EXs on my Cobia! Can't wait to hit the trails with them. Road around the streets and can already notice some differences.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    The Cobia is my "go to" recommendation for us big guys. You won't find too many bikes with air forks at the price and even fewer with LBS support.

FWIW, the wheels will be the weak part of ANY off the shelf bike you buy, so don't be discouraged by that. The Sun Ringle MTX33 rim should be a great upgrade for you.... you don't even have to replace the hubs, just the rim and spokes and you would have a much stronger set up. Yes, the Arch EXs are a good second choice too...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got around to test riding a few bikes a few days ago and I think I might be going with a Kona kahuna deluxe. It felt really comfortable for me to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    Got around to test riding a few bikes a few days ago and I think I might be going with a Kona kahuna deluxe. It felt really comfortable for me to ride.
    I really like the Kona hardtails. I just feel that they are built stronger than most.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    kona eh.....don't they brag about the hoss model or something that sounds like that?.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LinemanOnaMTB View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372766167.232162.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	812942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372766182.466489.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	812943

New ZTR Flow EXs on my Cobia! Can't wait to hit the trails with them. Road around the streets and can already notice some differences.

How is the clearance between the rear tire and the FD when in the smallest crank gear (granny) with the wider rim?