mtbr member

Trance X2 Opinions?

Every spring I get the itch to buy a new bike. Last year I was looking at a Demo Pitch Pro at a LBS and dragged my feet until someone else bought it. Im back looking at FS bikes (I already have a HT) with a budget of $2500 max. I keep coming back to the Trance X2 for $2200, which will keep me at my budget once tax is added. It seems to have decent components and I think would suit my immediate needs. Of course I could upgrade things as I go but it seems like a decent starting point.

Also, Im not really interested in a 29er although the 27 bikes would look to be a good middle ground.

The biggest problem for me is trying anything before I buy it. No one in my area seems to stock 21 - 22 bikes so Im forced to take online opinions into account.

My Specs
    300lbs and wanting to be around 225-235lbs this summer (down from 325lbs 6 weeks ago)
    66 with a 32 inseam

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm on the Trance 29er X1 and loving it. You would need to pump the rear shock to 300lbs for your size and the fox shock can do this but the rock shocks shock doesn't go that high. This is one of the reasons I went with this model.

mtbr member
    I don't know why but there is just something about 29ers that I'm not keen on.

Thanks for your reply though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YJGUY View Post
    I don't know why but there is just something about 29ers that I'm not keen on.

Thanks for your reply though!
    That's why it's nice to have options. The maestro suspension is about as comfy as it gets, at least for a 26 inch bike. I haven't ridden the 29er.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Went to my local Giant dealer last night and the Trance X2 is apparently sold out. I am able to order a Reign 2 though. I really hate having to order something sight unseen!

mtbr member
    The Reign is a completely different animal. 6" is a lot of travel. You better make sure that where you ride suits that kind of bike before you commit.
    He who dares....wins!

Quiet Professional
    The Reign is a great bike. I ride everything with it right now, but make sure you want 6".

mtbr member
    The trails that are 2 minutes from my house are pretty nice mix of tight technical and places where you can jump if you desire. If I drive 30 minutes I can me at a ski hill for some mild downhill or more xc trails. I think the bike will do more than I'll ever really want it too, but it should stand up to my weight in the long run. That's my thinking anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    The Reign is a great bike. I ride everything with it right now, but make sure you want 6".
    I honestly cant find a local shop with any FS bike in a XL frame size in stock, let alone a 6". I'll have to just hope it's what I need if I order it.

mtbr member
    So I ended up ordering a Giant Reign 2 and it just came in last night. Took it for a quick spin before it got dark out and it's really nice to ride. The weather is supposed to be good on Sunday so I'll take it out again and if my ass isn't too sore I'll ride to work next week as well.

All stock for now. I have some Answer pedals on the way.

Trance X2 Opinions?-20130425_192242_zps7ae89a1e.jpg

mtbr member
    Its allways tough finding bikes in "adult sizes" . Most shops never seem to have or stock them.
    Im riding a 22" giant trance from 6 years ago, absolutly love it. I did upgrade the bearings in the suspension, and i just got both my shocks tuned by Push. Loving riding it right now, fantastic ride.

Enjoy your Reign. Hope you love it.

Bill

mtbr member
    Thanks Bill, I'm looking forward to riding it this weekend. I think it will stay stock for a while until I can really use it. I'm a fat ass so just getting out and on the trails for some non-aggressive riding will be fun. As things progress I'll look into changing components including the shock and maybe fork or sending the stock items off to Push.

mtbr member
    I went out riding for an hour today. It was a mix of street, groomed gravel trails and single track. The single track was fun but there are a lot of roots and small muddy spots hiding under fallen leaves. Had to step over the handle bars once because of a root. The fork fully compressed and it was either eat some Canadian Shield or take a couple of running steps. Overall though it was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to riding every day!
    Last edited by YJGUY; 04-29-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quiet Professional
    Congrats. I love my giant reign.

mtbr member

Trance X2 Opinions?

Hey, I raced my giant trance for the first time ever yesterday. I have to say the bike was amazing at speed. I let the bike down cause it just kept wanting more.
    Hopefully I can get in shape enough to get the most out of it.

I've also had to step over the bars a time or two. That's one great advantage of long legs.

Glad you loved the bike.

Bill

My Brain Hurts!
    I am reasonably sure that whatever full suspension I get I will have the rear shock done by Push, or someone similar. That is the weakest link for those of us who push 280 or more in riding gear.

I am also changing the bolts and bearings on whatever bike I get...second weakest link...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Glad you got nice ride! At your current rate you will be a bit tough on wheels, keep an eye on them and the spoke tension. Also, I am 6' on trance X, Large and it seems short for me, I thought my midsection was long - but you're a LOT taller and have the same inseam! I guess they don't make a XXL but a long stem and setback post could help give you some room. I was just wondering the other day if I should have gotten XL, but normally a L is enough on other bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    I am reasonably sure that whatever full suspension I get I will have the rear shock done by Push, or someone similar. That is the weakest link for those of us who push 280 or more in riding gear.

I am also changing the bolts and bearings on whatever bike I get...second weakest link...
    What bolts are you replacing them with? Do you have a link to this? Maybe I'll send my stuff off to Push over the winter. For now I just want to keep on track and ride as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    Glad you got nice ride! At your current rate you will be a bit tough on wheels, keep an eye on them and the spoke tension. Also, I am 6' on trance X, Large and it seems short for me, I thought my midsection was long - but you're a LOT taller and have the same inseam! I guess they don't make a XXL but a long stem and setback post could help give you some room. I was just wondering the other day if I should have gotten XL, but normally a L is enough on other bikes.
    It seems fine so far. I don't have any experience playing around with different stem lengths or bar widths so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

And yes, my front wheel is out of true already. I have to take it in for a tune up as the front de-railer is not shifting smoothly either.

Honestly, I'm just riding it to work on back roads at this point. I'm so out of shape. There is a crew of pretty dedicated riders at my work and they want me to go out with them but I need to be in a bit better shape, I don't want to be holding them up.

mtbr member
    SMall steps bro, dont get discouraged. It all starts somewhere.

Glad yuo are loving the ride. Repairs are a normal part of riding bikes.

FYI im going to give tubelss a try. ill let ya know how it works.

Bill