mtbr member

Smile The Trance is dead....Long live the Trance

After 4 years of supporting my 125kg frame , 3 x 24 hour teams events and 3x50km races along with countless km's of trail riding in Oz and NZ my trusty Trance X developed a creak that I couldn’t get rid of.

After tightening and greasing the usual culprits I finally discovered a small crack at the base of the top tube - seat tube junction.

When I took the bike to the LBS they organised a replacement frame for me from Giant Australia, which took only a few days to arrive. I built it up just in time for the Kowalski Classic in Canberra.

From a Clydes perspective a few things were immediately apparent.

1. A tapered steerer is a noticeable improvement and is a worthy upgrade to any large guy that can put a fair bit of force through the 'bars.
    2. The BB30 bottom bracket and larger bottom bracket area has made the new frame much stiffer and is another noticeable improvement over the external BB
    3. Giants frame warranty is bloody great

Mr Bump
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Trance is dead....Long live the Trance-clyde-%40-taupo.jpg  

The Trance is dead....Long live the Trance-trance-x-old.jpg  

The Trance is dead....Long live the Trance-trance-x-new.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Mr Bump I can't see the new bike.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The BB would be bb86/bb92 not bb30

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojie View Post
    The BB would be bb86/bb92 not bb30
    Correct.... But it is still a massive improvement over GXP. I think the larger down tube helps in this regard also.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What year was the original TranceX

mtbr member
    It was an 08 X2 frame built up with custom parts.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Mine is an '09, and getting creaky near the bottom bracket. I suspected the suspension pivot in that area because creakiness continued after I had a new crankset & bottom bracket installed. Guess I need to take a close look for cracks. If there are none, I probably need to either replace or at least clean that bottom pivot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good info. I had the exact same issue with a Kona frame.

Lifetime warranty? Give me a break, the answer I got was to pay the bike shop to strip the bike, then I pay the shipping to Kona, before they will even tell me if it's warrantied or not.

I just found a new frame and rebuilt it myself. I'll never buy another Kona.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had a big boy friend who rode a Giant for a long time too. Been very happy with it, as well as the amazing customer service from Giant. Those guys seem to really care about their reputation, in a good way.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com