mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Training to Race

I am sure that there are a lot of you that race here, so I thought you might be able to give me some advice.

I am trying to get back into shape and would like to start racing. I would eventually like to work my way up to the FL State Championship Series. I think by setting a goal to race, that will help me keep to a training plan.

I am currently 6'3", 255 lbs. I was riding pretty regularly up until about 1 year ago (work got in the way).

Do any of you guys have a training plan you would recommend for a beginner racer? I am a pretty good bike handler and can ride most stuff in my area, but am trying to get started on a training plan to get ready for racing. I have never raced, so I am not sure how to train or improve to that level.

Thanks in advance.

Glad to Be Alive
    diet......diet diet...got to get some of the LBS off.....

ride a lot of XC to lose weight and get beginning endurance

for racing speed.....do 3 to 5 mintute sprints on the bike...Helps if you ride without a seat(more workout for legs)....do squats and all other weight lifting

ride your bike a lot and ride different trails.....some easy ones to get the feel of running fast
    drops and jumps for the other parts of races
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Low speed, High Drag
    I was in the same boat, but started riding again, after quitting smoking. Here's what I've been doing.

Made a plan. Easier to follow a regimen, if it's planned out.
    Ride, ride, ride. I know I've got to get in some seat time, to get in shape.
    Realize that at my age, 40 in January, I need to train smarter than I did 20 years ago.
    Rest, and more rest. Look for signs of over-training, and heed your body's warnings.
    Stay hydrated. I drink water after lunch, and Gatorade when I get home.
    Watch your diet. no reason to gain weight, when you're busting your ass to lose it.

I've done two races already, and plan to "peak" around the first of the year. I live in AZ, so our riding seasons are backwards.

One last thing, keep it fun. I ride with a bunch of different people, to keep it mixed up.
    I need a cool saying to put here.