Thread: Training Advice

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Training Advice

Maybe this question is for another forum, but I'd like to put it up here. I'm 5'11" 220lbs. terribly out of shape. Used to bike a lot but as life goes things change. Bought a new bike to get back into it, unfortunatley it won't stop snowing (or get above freezing), So I'm trying to find a good program to follow to get in shape before Spring. I thought about joining a spinning class. I have plenty of free weights and a treadmill that clothes hang nicley on and can use all but really want to find a weekly plan that i can hang on the wall and follow. Ideally I'd like to lose 40lbs. but just want to get into shape regardless of losing whatever. Anybody have a good daily/weekly cardio/strength routine they'd like to share for off season and during the months when the snowplows are dormant?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Since nobody has a plan, I'll chime in with some ideas. Make a chart:

Strength -
    Push ups from knees rather than toes, Straight Arm raises out to the side, Crunches. Squats w/o weights. Tip-toe repetitions.Climb Stairs.
    None of these require tools. It doesn't matter how many you do, just do it every day. Chart your progress.

Food -
    Don't get a Diet Book, just stop eating junk. Tea vs. Coke, Black bean vs. potato, Big Giant Salad vs. hamburger.

Cardio -
    Climb Stairs. Dance in your living room. Why - nobody injures themselves when they dance. You won't get repetitive stress injuries because you're just flopping around randomly. Throw in a run in place here and there, just be goofy but do it for about 20 min 5 times a week.

I like this "plan" because I don't have to buy anything or go anywhere to do it. Good Luck on the 40 lbs. Just be sure to start with the first pound first and go from there.
    undefined[SIZE=1]undefined[/SIZE]undefined

Slow, but thoughtful

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy69
    Since nobody has a plan, I'll chime in with some ideas. Make a chart:

Strength -
    Push ups from knees rather than toes, Straight Arm raises out to the side, Crunches. Squats w/o weights. Tip-toe repetitions.Climb Stairs.
    None of these require tools. It doesn't matter how many you do, just do it every day. Chart your progress.

Food -
    Don't get a Diet Book, just stop eating junk. Tea vs. Coke, Black bean vs. potato, Big Giant Salad vs. hamburger.

Cardio -
    Climb Stairs. Dance in your living room. Why - nobody injures themselves when they dance. You won't get repetitive stress injuries because you're just flopping around randomly. Throw in a run in place here and there, just be goofy but do it for about 20 min 5 times a week.

I like this "plan" because I don't have to buy anything or go anywhere to do it. Good Luck on the 40 lbs. Just be sure to start with the first pound first and go from there.
    Thanks for the reply. I did start to try the diet thing and definitely failed. i tried to limit my calories down to 1500/ day but no way, killed my energy. Definitely just going to try to eat better, lay off the fast food and try to limit the fermented hops to weekend festivities. I did find a site about following the Mediterranean food pyramid vs. the USDA one for eating right, probably check into that a little more.

Supposed to be in Mid 50's around here so will be getting out to ride on the new bike finally. Just curious, any opinions on bike trainers?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tallboy69

Food -
    this is the BEST advice possible on diet!

Man, 40 pounds is a tall order... For anyone. But regardless, cutting out junk food, and limiting your beer intake (Notice how i said... limit your beer intake, as opposed to cut it out completely, since thats just LAME! ) will give you great results, over the long haul. It's obviosu waht stuff is not going to help you lose fast, and maintain a healthy body. Unfortunately, it's usually all the tasty stuff... Try to eat lots of complex carbs, lean protein, and 'good fats' Try to not eat anything refined. Lots of green veggies, too.

Since its cold and wet outside still where you live, run on your treadmill, and lift weights too. Both done regularly will raise yer metabolism all day long -->burn more fat --> Make you leaner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I went from 225 to 188 in 2004, peaking with a half marathon in October 04. Currently I'm 6'2'', 210lbs, and 34 years of age. Here are my thoughts and ideas:

1. You should consider getting a 6-month membership at a local gym.

2. At the gym, you should warm up with approximately 10-12 sets of abs. This gets abs out of the way, and it warms you up for:

3. Cardio! I suggest 3 variations of cardio for you: the Spin bike; the elliptical machine where you move both your legs and arms; and a treadmill.

4. For each machine, work up to an hour of cardio 5 days a week. Take your time! I added 5 minutes a week, and started with a measly 20 minutes when I was overweight.

5. For the treadmill, forget about running. Try walking at around 3.3 mph or so, and add on to the incline when you want a harder workout. I've gotten as high as 12.0 on the incline. Your heart rate will be through the roof walking...and it's less stress on your joints.

6. For the Spin bike and the elliptical, concentrate on a mix of increased resistance/hill training and sprints. Keep your sprints around 30 seconds, but start around 10 seconds in the beginning.

7. Diet: I drank a coffee and ate a Met-Rx Big 100 bar in the morning; for lunch I stuck to the Jaret diet at Subway. Turkey sub, honey mustard, no cheese. Got the low fat Baked Lays as well. For dinner, I ate whatever my wife made me. By controlling breakfast and lunch, I conquered 2/3 of my diet.

Not too complicated: I steadily but slowly increased my cardio, while watching most of my diet. I'm not perfect, but I lost 37lbs and ran a half marathon. At 210lbs I'm heavier but overall a stronger person, so it's 6 one way, a half a dozen the other.

Good luck!

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I turn 39 this April, about 3 years ago i was around 185 and figure if i take the year I can get back to it. Certainly i don't want to set myself up for failure, so i think a year is a good measure. Part of that goal is a local race in August so i have about six months to get into some kind of shape and then use the race as a marker for what i need to work through the fall /into the spring. Some good motivation is my wife runs and my new "cell mate" at work runs marathons so when i'm stuffing a Quarter pounder and fries down my trap and she's getting up to go running for lunch, i have a guilt guilt trip of atleast eating a better lunch. i tried the lo-cal meal stuff but will try the Subway deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok my turn to chime in......
    FORGET trying to Diet..Diets don't work!!!!
    Change how you eat and what you eat. This is a new begining in your life so all you need to do is make some small adjustments and you begin the new cycle.

Try to limit portion sizes as well. Try to eat healthier...but when the beer comes around don't shy away...and no reason you can't enjoy chocolate cake every now and then either. It's all about moderation! And begin slowly and try to stick with it. There will be times it is more difficult and thats ok. There will be slipups and they are ok too.
    Now sometimes your weight may not go down as much as you'd think either. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat...so don't always just judge how well you're doing by your weight. Go by how you feel.

Good luck and keep us informed

DLP
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for all the advice.

Not to kiss butt, however I do enjoy the website and advice/support all the forums have.

Poking aroung the web I did find this which I think is a good outline for a workout and for the most part can be accomplished at home.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/training/training.htm

Not sure how helpful this is but looks very interesting:

http://www.oldwayspt.org/