blurr

Tracking Mileage and weight

Shooting for at least 2400 miles this year and have a 45 lb weight loss goal.
    Started tracking my mileage and weight yesterday and plan on evaluating my progress weekly.

Anybody else want to join me in this venture--having a community to encourage and hold accountable may help.

10 miles on the trail yesterday and 20 on the road today.

Current weight is 258 (6'1") Was in better shape but had a rough year and put on about 30 lbs

I am shooting for 213 (or a 45 lb loss) by late May--may be biting off more than I can chew, but I think it is doable if I stay disciplined.

At least every sunday I will post my mileage for the week and weight (maybe the weight every two weeks in the interest of not getting discouraged)

Along the way I will post any thoughts or insight I have gained.

Anybody want to give it a shot... and post their progress too
    Last edited by bf1101; 01-04-2011 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    I would join in, but I am afraid that my mileage would be embarrassing. Until my life calms down, I'm not getting in as much riding as I would like.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

blurr
    fattchris: No judgement... I have the same problem. I figured this would help keep me motivated. Not much interest here though, so not much point I guess

mtbr member
    No way! There is totally a point. Even if it is just for you, it is worth doing (and posting it here, even if no one else reads it, is good accountability)

Tell ya what... I will join in with ya. My numbers might be laughable, but I'll participate.

Last week, I weighed in at 350, and rode a sad, sad, 11 miles.

I'll repost on Friday and let you know how I've done!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you want I'll post mine...

I dropped a ton last year and gained some back in the last 6 weeks. It's okay though I think I have the formula to drop them and more...

I'll need to add time/cal burned for spinning though... I also picked up running. We'll see how that goes... Winter and family make it tough to get any considerable mileage in. Maybe by March when DST kicks in...

blurr
    I dropped 30 lbs last summer (thats the 30 I put back on)
    I burned out and had some health and scheduling issues that contributed to my putting it back on.

I did great last summer counting calories and riding like a mad man,(dropped 30-35 depending on the scale in less than 3 months)

Only rode 3 miles today (commute) cause the weather turned bad and I'm a little sore from the last two days so I thought I would use today as one of my break days for the week (plan on riding 4 or 5 days a week maybe six if I am not forcing it)

I did not used to track mileage, but I thought tracking mileage instead of only focusing on calories and weight would be a good way to see progress and stay motivated if I plateau for a while.

Got a spread sheet set up to track type of ride (trail or road), mileage--daily and running total), route etc as well as weight (once a week), total loss, and goal weight countdown (spreadsheets can be fun).

Thanks for the replies, post up your own miles--progress is progress, nobody cares about low miles we all start somewhere.
    Last edited by bf1101; 01-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Leg Shaver
    speaking from personal experience and not to patronize you or derail your goals...

I have learned to track Time on the mountain bike not miles when riding a mountain bike. Over the years I have added a heart rate monitor to the mix and detailed time in and out of zones.

mile goals I found discouraging on a mountain bike and the time it takes to climb may of the routes here exceeds distance on the flats and gives a better work out

just my 2cents not worth anything but a thought
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

shining bright
    I'll join you. I have been looking for a thread. There are some threads here on the forum somewhere, but I think a newer one with some freshness is cool.

My name is John, and I currently weigh 225.

I am working 12 hours a day right now, and usually 7 days a week at that, so other than night riding I am only riding once or twice a week. I don't do much night riding now that I am working 12 because it puts me home too late in the evenings and I have a little girl at home..family time I am not going to miss. I ride on sundays in the day time because I usually only work 8 hours on sunday and it leaves me with enough time to go when I get off of work. If I go by myself I usually go the 11 mile route on our local trail, if my wife is with me we will usually do the 7 mile. She is not as an experienced rider as I am and she can't push that far yet consistently.

I rode 4 miles yesterday testing out a new tubeless tire setup and wow what a difference. My previous best was 37 min, and yesterday I did it in 23.19!

My wife and I did 8 miles Sunday.

So, I am up to 13 miles total since January 2nd.

blurr
    IkeTurner: I know what you mean about the mtnbike miles. I also log time for trail rides. I list time of day, ride time, distance, route, commute miles, trail miles, road miles etc. on a spreadsheet I set up.

My trail rides are usually 2 hrs+, maybe less if I dont have time that day.

I am more concerned about time and performance on the mtn bike than miles, I just have a fairly accurate list of distances for the trails I ride and I track the miles to contribute to my yearly goal (2400). On a daily basis I am more concerned with finishing this loop or that on the trail and riding at least 10 on the road (preferably 20)

Miles would be a bit discouraging on a mtn bike if that was the only factor.
    I do not mess with hrm because the computer on my road bike is already one more electronic gadget than I like (the lights are necessary though). And I ride ss (both mtn and rd) and that means it is pretty difficult to maintain any "zone" Lungs are usually about to explode on the hills and I recover on the flats and downhills when I run out of gear.

cncwhiz: welcome! I understand about the limited ride time, just post up what you got and keep at it. Good luck!

blurr

1st week complete.

I feel like I have had a good first week. I have made some good progress towards getting back into riding shape and I am already able to ride a little harder and a little further between breaks than a week or two ago.

My total miles for the week: 74 This is a good start and I should meet or exceed my goal at this pace. I feel like this number can (and will) increase soon as my rides are already getting easier to finish.

Trail miles: 29 over three rides
    Road miles: 36 (2 rides)
    Commute: 9

Weight Sun 1/2/2011: 258
    Weight Sat 1/8/2011: 248

I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scale a couple of days ago and saw my progress and then today's weight of 248 was definitely a surprise... I weighed on the same scale. I am sure it is mostly water weight. I cut most sodas (still have a diet coke in the morning couple times a week) and I eat more vegetables and fruit. I cut out greasy fried food, sugar, empt carbs, etc.

I doubt I will continue to drop 10 pounds a week, but it is a good start and it is encouraging. Now the trick will be not to lose focus or get too disappointed next week when I drop 2 lbs or 1 or none.

I'll just keep working hard and eating right and take the weight loss as it comes. Trying to take the long haul approach. No diet, just eating right. And get out and ride!

Good luck to everybody else on their goals and post your progress!

mtbr member
    Congrats!!

Here is mine

Miles road: 2 ... so, so sad.
    Weight loss: 0 'tis to be expected with the number from above.

The weather looks better this next week, so I should report back better off next Monday than I did today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am not on MTBR often but if you guys want a 3rd I am game. My riding time and miles are going to be all over the place but at 262lbs I need to get back on the bike again. I will try to remember to stop by over here once a week or so to post up my weight distance and mileage if you guys are interested in a 3rd. I will be cheating a bit and hitting the gym in the morning.

blurr
    Glad to have ya Scuba... all are welcome

mtbr member
    Of course! The more the merrier!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll try this format
    time/distance/calories

First line - running total up to previous week.
    next line - incomplete week
    last line - total

**************Spin**************Road******Mountain *****************Run*********Swim**Weight
    1/2-1/8*****2:47/-/1961********-/-/-**********-/-/-********************-/-/-***********-/-/-****209.4
    1/9-1/15***1:56/-/1325********-/-/-********3:06/17.19/1438**** 0:57/4.81/756***-/-/-****210.2
    Total*******4:43/-/3286********-/-/-********3:06/17.19/1438****0:57/4.81/756***-/-/-

I want to do this and the weekly weigh in on the same date. However, My Garmin ends on Saturday so totals are easier per it's weeks...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good job guys! I think this is a great idea. Keep up the good work.

I definitely know the feeling. I am working on losing about 40 pounds to try and get back into shape. Unfortunately I live in the Midwest so the weather this time of year doesn't allow me much to get out and ride trails and well I am a wuss when it comes to cold weather. But I have been to some spinning classes and riding the bike at the gym. Also having a family makes it difficult as many of you have mentioned already. But it is a start. I doubt I will post weekly on my progress but I will do what I can.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, I'm working with similar goals (drop weight, get into better shape) but no scale in the house

I'd eventually like to get back to the weight I was when I was in the reserves (180#), as in the last 10 years I've crept up to the 245-250# range. Right now, all my riding is on the trainer (working to build up a new-to-me bike for the spring and the 18" of snow we got last weekend (with more coming) says the Cx bike will stay inside for now).

I'm not on as much as I have been in the past, but I'll try to get myself weighed and I'll post in from time to time to add some "weight" to the thread.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    ...but no scale in the house
    no worries. Scales are good for one part of the equation, but really, a mirror is just as good, if not better. Oh, and how loose your pants are

mtbr member
    To help myself with my eating, I will be keeping tack of what I eat online, and anyone can view it.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage.asp?id=FATTCHRIS

If anyone else wants to signup for it and log their food, I will check in on it once a week and hassle you if your eating poorly

blurr
    Not for me... I have been eating right, but I take one day a week and go out or eat pizza or something like that. This keeps me from eating bad all of the time. I basically cut out bad carbs, sugar fried etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll play (when I remember to post here too). 285# 15.75 commute miles.

mtbr member
    @bf1101 - Yeah, when I start eating consistently well, I don't log anymore. It is just a method I use to break my bad habits.

@mgreene - great to have you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is exactly what I need. Just got my first bike yesterday, after using my dads on and off, for the sole purpose of losing weight. Not sure of my exact numbers, but Im close to 300, if not a little over, and 5'10"

Hoping to ride every day, at least 5 miles. Tonight im shooting for 10 though since its a friday, and I have no social life lol.

mtbr member
    sweet! welcome!

Double-metric mtb man
    Not a lot of riding as of late....bad cold running around our house which has left me dragging my sorry butt around, rather than getting on the bike to train Once I clear the cold, I'll be back at it.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

blurr
    Sadly I rode less than 5 miles this week. Had a good first week and now this.
    Had a couple of days of really cold weather, and being in Texas I did not have any base layer stuff. So I went out and bought some and the next day the rain started and its rained everyday since. I can handle riding in the rain or in the cold, but I am not a fan of riding in the cold rain. I'll get right back on it this coming week though. Don't want to check weight right now.

Good luck to the rest of you

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bf1101
    Sadly I rode less than 5 miles this week. Had a good first week and now this.
    Had a couple of days of really cold weather, and being in Texas I did not have any base layer stuff. So I went out and bought some and the next day the rain started and its rained everyday since. I can handle riding in the rain or in the cold, but I am not a fan of riding in the cold rain. I'll get right back on it this coming week though. Don't want to check weight right now.

Good luck to the rest of you
    6 inches of snow here in alabama so no riding for me either this week lol. gonna go for hopefully a 10 mile ride tomorrow if not more. 6'1" 275-280 hoping to get down to 220-230 before my wedding at the end of the year lol
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I started eating better and exercising the first of January. I weighed 255 and am 6'3. Today I weighed 246.8. This was a bad weekend for eating but I that happens. Since we have snow on the ground I do my riding at the gym this time of year and since the distance on a exercise bike is not accurate at all I will just put how much time I spent on the exercise bike. This week I rode for 1 hour and 20 minutes plus I ran 8 miles on the treadmill

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by bf1101
    IkeTurner: I know what you mean about the mtnbike miles. I also log time for trail rides. I list time of day, ride time, distance, route, commute miles, trail miles, road miles etc. on a spreadsheet I set up.

My trail rides are usually 2 hrs+, maybe less if I dont have time that day.

I am more concerned about time and performance on the mtn bike than miles, I just have a fairly accurate list of distances for the trails I ride and I track the miles to contribute to my yearly goal (2400). On a daily basis I am more concerned with finishing this loop or that on the trail and riding at least 10 on the road (preferably 20)

Miles would be a bit discouraging on a mtn bike if that was the only factor.
    I do not mess with hrm because the computer on my road bike is already one more electronic gadget than I like (the lights are necessary though). And I ride ss (both mtn and rd) and that means it is pretty difficult to maintain any "zone" Lungs are usually about to explode on the hills and I recover on the flats and downhills when I run out of gear.

cncwhiz: welcome! I understand about the limited ride time, just post up what you got and keep at it. Good luck!
    I used to not bother with hr on the mtn bike however once I got int charting things, the biggest benefit of all charts was recovery time between intervals.

once the real dead weight is lost it will be hard to get the additional 10 you need off. I needed something else to gauge progress besides a scale at that point because the level of riding required calories and weight loss slowed

the benefit of a hr monitor is recovery time for me anyway.

on a mountain bike especially one must learn to recover under duress or load more often than a road bike; in addition intervals are inescapable given the amount of climbing a typical ride requires. Road bike you can simply turn off the go switch where it is harder to find easy recovery on a mountain bike ride apart from a down hill. My intervals are typically not as long as the climbs so learning to recover under load is key

once I got into this it took my riding to a whole new level.

good luck
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

blurr
    Ok, back on the horse. After not riding last week I jumped at the chance today to ride (sunny but chilly). I put in 20 miles on the ss road bike--not that long but a lot of up and down.
    Weighed in at 249, so thats 1 pounds heavier than last week, but I sat on my ass all week, but still a 9 pound loss since 1/2/2011.

Keep posting!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    still no riding, but with eating better, (only eating out like twice a week compared to almost every meal) i dropped from 285 to 270 in 3 weeks so i'm happy with that progress so far. hope to get riding soon, but eating better is definitely doing something until i get a chance to ride again.
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

mtbr member
    I GAINED 2 lbs.. what the heck. I also rode 16 miles on Friday (on my mtb, commuting to work... MAN I need a road bike).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It'll remain a hair behind the times...

**************Spin**************Road************Mo untain*****************Run*********Swim**Weight
    1/2-1/8*****2:47/-/1961********-/-/-****************-/-/-********************-/-/-***********-/-/-****209.4
    1/9-1/15***3:56/-/2709**3:51/53.36/1879***3:06/17.19/1438**** 0:57/4.81/756****-/-/-****210.2

blurr
    I only ended up with 50 miles this week. Too busy. I did run/jog 2 miles on tues and thurs. (which I never do). And I did about 45 minutes of circuit training on tues. and thurs. as well. I figured it couldn't hurt to mix it up a bit.

Planning a 10 mile trail ride tomorrow, and I just finished converting my ss road bike to geared so I can put in some longer rides when I do get out on the road.

Right around 130 miles this month (counting tomorrow) and a week left. If I manage to get out as planned next week I should come close to my goal for the month (200). I would be ahead of schedule if not for last weeks rain.

Will post my weight for the month at the end of the month. Not too worried about it because I feel much better than I did last month, my pants fit a little better, and my endurance is noticeably better already. I figure the weight will come off eventually if I look at the long term and just keep at it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm in! My goals are to increase my mileage over last year which was 2k and to lose as much weight as possible, I am at 287 lbs now and would like to be at 270 ish by summer and go from there. I put 10 miles on my fat bike Sunday but I am out of town for the rest of the week so I won't get any miles in until next week. Living in the Chicago area I usually don't get many Jan, Feb, or March miles but I am hoping my new Mukluk will help with that. I also want to get at least two if not three century rides in this year.

Yep.
    I'm game for tracking mileage/weight.

I'm hopefully picking up my new bike this Friday. I am currently 275, and I'm hoping to hit 200 before mid-summer. No idea what to expect for mileage, but I'll be on the bike whenever I'm not working or sleeping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Two weeks, zero rides, one pound net loss (but probably quite a few up and then down). A surprising 284 this morning. Hoping to sneak a road ride in tomorrow morning despite the below freezing temp.
    2010 GF X-Caliber
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Ventana ECDM (tandem)
    1996 Mantis Pro Floater

Members who have read this thread: 0