mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Totally new to this... what bike for 6'4" 280lb.

I'm just starting to ride again after about 18 years.

34 years old, and as the title says, 6'4" and 280lbs. I've read through a lot of posts on this forum and I'm thrilled that I found this board. I used to do a lot of sport bike stunt riding, but got rid of the bike about 4 years ago. We now have a 2 year old. I was going to get a new sportbike, but since I don't trust myself on them, (too immature to keep it at legal speeds and both wheels on the ground) I decided on a mtn bike for fitness/family fun/adrenaline rushes.

My point: Once I get comfy with a bike, I'm likely going to beat the hell out of it. I'm never content with just putting around.

I went to the LBS earlier and the bike that felt best to me was the Trek 4300. Aside from that, I'm at a loss as to what to get. Also, the LBS wanted around $550 for this bike. Seems too expensive from I've seen online.

I'm open to any suggestions around about $750 or less. I just want something I won't destroy and will be fun on trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Also, I was wondering about any 29ers that might suit me. I've been unable to really find one that will fit me and my budget. Any suggestions there? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I started mountain biking for the first time last spring and decided to buy a used bike on craigslist to start. In my opinion, I was able to get a far better bike (and spent $750 coincidentally) than I would have gotten had I bought new from a LBS. I got an Intense Tracer which was probably about 8 years old. HOWEVER, most of the components were much newer. I wouldn't suggest you buy a bike quite that old, but if you haven't scoured your local craigslist postings, then you are missing out on some great deals on bikes that would give you a better quality of ride than a new one at the same price, imho.

After I fell in love with riding, i started to understand what things were important to me and I bought a (slightly used) new bike this year -- a Yeti 575. This bike is more expensive but I knew I was into it and wanted to invest in a higher end bike. And, I have sold my Tracer at the same price I paid for it last year so it was more like an upgrade fee than buying a whole new bike.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    at 6'4", id say go 29er. i don't own one, YET, and i'm only 5'10", but i'm looking forward to getting one. i can definitely see the appeal. you might try building your own. for 750, you could build a pretty nice low end rigid 29er, even with gears. or, find a redline dealer, and they could set you up with a 29er.

this is what i'm currently lusting after: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1262

or haro has the mary, kona has one.

then this: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_28505

its up to you. treks are good if you don't mind payin premium for a nice frame, less than ideal parts.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    http://www.amazon.com/Thruster-29er-...ef=pd_sbs_sg_4

found this one. but, uh. i don't know. might be good. but prolly not.

found some others, but those are medium or small.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I would have a SERIOUSLY hard time with getting separate components, as I know almost nothing about bikes yet. I think I've decided to go with some kind of 29er. I don't think I'm going to go with the Trek 4300 after all. Hmm... still looking.

The Access XCL doesn't look bad, but I've read not-so-good things about the Dart 3 forks... I'm so confused.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speteman
    I started mountain biking for the first time last spring and decided to buy a used bike on craigslist to start. In my opinion, I was able to get a far better bike (and spent $750 coincidentally) than I would have gotten had I bought new from a LBS. I got an Intense Tracer which was probably about 8 years old. HOWEVER, most of the components were much newer. I wouldn't suggest you buy a bike quite that old, but if you haven't scoured your local craigslist postings, then you are missing out on some great deals on bikes that would give you a better quality of ride than a new one at the same price, imho.

After I fell in love with riding, i started to understand what things were important to me and I bought a (slightly used) new bike this year -- a Yeti 575. This bike is more expensive but I knew I was into it and wanted to invest in a higher end bike. And, I have sold my Tracer at the same price I paid for it last year so it was more like an upgrade fee than buying a whole new bike.
    I did take a look on craigslist and only really found one that I thought would work for me. It's a 1999 Cannondale V900 Any thoughts on this one?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    any fork you get in that price range is definitely not going to be ideal. if you step up a couple hundred, you can get a tora. lots of clydes love it. thats why i recommend rigid for now. get good grips and tires. then, pull the trigger on a good sus fork.

as far as building your own, i would be more than happy to help you with parts selection.

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'4", was 288 pounds, now down to 255. Definitely go for a 29er. Maybe a Rockhopper disc? Kinda out of your range, but you'll have it a long time. I'll never go back to 26" wheels.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and 275. I'm perfectly happy on 26" wheel bikes, you don't need to go 29er just because of your height. $750 will get you a decent 26" wheel hard tail to start out with. At that price range you'll probably find the fork to be a bit lacking after a while, and if you're anything like me the wheel set may not hold up all that well. So you may find yourself replacing stuff after a couple years, or looking for a new bike. I have a Specialized Rockhopper that I upgraded to a Tora 318 and a burly wheelset after a few years.

Outback Trail Commission

6'2" 295 Lbs. in 2007 purchased a Kona Hoss Deluxe

In '07 I decided to start riding again. I was 43 yrs. old and weighed in at around 295 lbs. I'm 6'1 3/4" tall. I searched all the local LBS's and did not really see anything. Went online and discovered that I was classified as a clyde. Saw a lot of chatter about the Kona Hoss. Read the reviews and looked for a dealer. The closest one is like 2 hrs. drive to me. I called them and they had 2 in stock size 18. I thought that that was probably too small but decided to check it out anyway. MSRP on the bike was 1199$ or something like that, I paid 976$. I have a 30 inch inseam which causes me to ride a smaller bike for standover. However the toptube on all Kona's are pretty long compared to many other brands. It might be worth your while to check it out. The parts spec on this bike was really good. they only make the Hoss now , did away with the Hoss Deluxe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've seen people say good things about the GT Peace 9er, but I can't seem to find any 2009 specs on them. I also just saw a 22" Surly Karate Monkey on ebay for $700. It has a solid fork, but you could always upgrade when you are ready to tear it up. At $750 or less, it's hard to quickly identify many candidates that out of the box would be thrash worthy for a clyde.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks again, guys.

I'm waiting for a LBS to call me back about a Redline. It's a 29er demo bike for $359. If it's got the disc brakes, I'll take it and save up for another bike.

I also checked out the Raleigh XXIX SS. I think I'm going to just go for a SS. Probably not the smartest thing to do, being so new, but I've never been accused of being smart before.

Lastly, I was checking out Rockhopper disc 29. It's a 2007 model new in box for around $750.

I think I'm getting it narrowed down. I'll be picking one up on Friday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's a good deal for a Redline 29er, discs or not. You can always add discs later. I ride a Monocog 29er and absolutely love the single speed. I also have a Marin Muirwoods 29er for when I feel the need to bang the gears.

I was about your size when I got my first good bike. It was a Diamondback Response Sport... The one with the "strong box tubing". It held my weight pretty well and I beat the crap out of it on the trails. It was about $500 brand new and came with decent components.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

Marin Muirwoods & Clyde?

Quote Originally Posted by dom98se
    I also have a Marin Muirwoods 29er for when I feel the need to bang the gears.
    A bit off topic, but you're the first clyde (my assumption...) that I've heard is running the Marin Muirwoods. How's it holding up? How do you like it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    A bit off topic, but you're the first clyde (my assumption...) that I've heard is running the Marin Muirwoods. How's it holding up? How do you like it?
    Its a nice bike for city/street riding. I'm 6'3, 225lbs now and its holding up great. (I went with the 22" frame) The only thing I had to replace so far were the pedals. I bent the stock ones digging hard up a hill on the 2nd day I had it... The stock pedals were crap anyways. Overall, I like it. Its somewhat light for being a steel frame, picks up speed quick, looks awesome, and was priced right for what you get.

mtbr member
    I would strongly advise against a single speed for your first bike. Being that A) you're new to cycling and B) you're just plain big, you're just not going to have the cardio you'll need to enjoy a single speed. TRUST ME, you should get a bike that will make you want to ride more and more. A single speed might be a good option in the future, but mountain biking can be tough for newbies, even if you have 27 gears to choose from. A single speed will just add an extra degree of difficulty that might end up being more discouraging than anything else. I'd hate to see you quit because every climb feels like an impossible obstacle on a single speed.

I'd recommend taking a look at the Giant Yukon. It fits your price range, comes with a great component spec for the money, and is available in a size large enough to fit you just right. The only weakness would be the fork, but it should hold up fine until you can afford to upgrade it. The rest of the bike should be able to handle your weight no problem.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2279/32121/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmfat
    any fork you get in that price range is definitely not going to be ideal. if you step up a couple hundred, you can get a tora. lots of clydes love it. thats why i recommend rigid for now. get good grips and tires. then, pull the trigger on a good sus fork.

as far as building your own, i would be more than happy to help you with parts selection.

Damn! I don't know how I missed this post. I appreciate the offer!

I think I'm going to be getting what you suggested and get a rigid 29er right now and in about a month from now, I'll start looking for a good frame option and build one from there. Once I get set on a good frame option, I may pick your brain about some solid components to go with.

mwcet8k. I am new to cycling and just plain big, but I'm not completely out of shape. I work a pretty labor-intensive job. I sweat a little more than I used to once I get going, but I think better strength in my legs will come soon enough.

I have lots of flats to ride on with my wife and 2 year old son. The reason for the lower budget was because I need to buy my wife a bike and a trailer for our son at the same time. I think I'm going to start building a bike next month, so shortly after that, I'll have the best of both worlds.