Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Tora 318 Solo Air (Or) Tora 318 U-Turn Coil For Clydesdales

Hello Everyone,

I need a little help, I finally have the extra funds to upgrade my fork, My current fork really bugs me to the core. I would like to know which version of Tora 318 would be more suitable for my weight. I'm 6' 2-3" and under 270 pound. The Price isn't a problem w/ these 2 forks, I just don't know which is more Stable / Reliable & Suitable for my weight.

Thanks.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you'd be maxing out the pressure on a soloair, and the extra firm spring might be a little soft for you, but either would work, and both would be reliable! rs makes good forks these days, and the tora is stiff as hell.

the stock coil spring is suitable for 130-150lbs riders, you'll need a spring upgrade right off the bat, which adds another 50 bucks onto the price.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    you're a big guy.

i'm 220ish and think that i'm at the upper limit of the solo-air.

Optimum Value
    There are people riding solo-airs that are over 300 pounds.. I think he will be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Rider
    Hello Everyone,

I need a little help, I finally have the extra funds to upgrade my fork, My current fork really bugs me to the core. I would like to know which version of Tora 318 would be more suitable for my weight. I'm 6' 2-3" and under 270 pound. The Price isn't a problem w/ these 2 forks, I just don't know which is more Stable / Reliable & Suitable for my weight.

Thanks.
    The Manitou Drake might be another consideration for you. Marzocchi told me the Marz DJ3 with a coil switchout is good for big folks. Call them and find out what years they mean. I'm not sure. No Lockout on the Marz though I think.
    Last edited by zarr; 03-07-2009 at 07:05 PM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i had near 300psi in my 29er tora 318 soloair... never a problem... based on the chart @ 80mm (29er fork at least) the psi is 1lb - 1psi... but it's more important to go with the proper sag...

I love mine... other then it's heavy... I just went to 100mm setting and WOW its sweet also runs at lower pressure (larger air volume)...

IMHO a plus side of the air fork is it's progressive in nature... the deeper into the travel you get the stiffer the spring gets... so the small stuff on the initial travel is squishy... but deeper into travel it gets harder and harder to compress
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    i had near 300psi in my 29er tora 318 soloair... never a problem... based on the chart @ 80mm (29er fork at least) the psi is 1lb - 1psi... but it's more important to go with the proper sag...

I love mine... other then it's heavy... I just went to 100mm setting and WOW its sweet also runs at lower pressure (larger air volume)...

IMHO a plus side of the air fork is it's progressive in nature... the deeper into the travel you get the stiffer the spring gets... so the small stuff on the initial travel is squishy... but deeper into travel it gets harder and harder to compress
    in other words, If I'm 270 pound, I should put about 270psi right...?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    in theory yes...

but for true proper suspension setup you need to adjust it to about 20% sag... depending on how you have your cockpit setup you might need more... or less... then ride... if you're bottoming out to much add some air... not using all the travel remove some... worked well for me...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 330 lb and run a 318 tora soloair. I only run about 210 psi for 20% sag.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the 1lb : 1psi is for 80mm 29er fork... i'm running similar pressure now that i'm at 100mm on it... still playing with the pressure... but the longer travel setting has more air volume so runs at a lower pressure (same concept as a road tire running 100psi vs our fattys running 35psi

either way... the pressure chart is on the back leg of the fork... it'll give you some guidelines... but stops at 220#... you can get a basic idea of where you need to be and then tweak it with sag and feel durring a ride... the real point was... I ran 300psi with out a problem and used every travel near every ride out... no problemo...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have been riding on my solo air for about 6 months now and it has been a great upgrade. As far as pressure goes, I weigh very close to you, about 265 and I ride slightly below 200 PSI, basically I pump it to 200 since I always lose some taking the pump off and it has been fine for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I ride the Tora 318 Solo Air and love it. I wiegh 245 (in gear) and ride it with 200psi. It is a great shock for us clydes as recommended on this site and in this forum. I have found it as low as $199.

Former Bike Wrench
    Been riding my 318 Solo Air Tora 29er for 9 months now. I'm back to riding it in the 100mm setting and I find that I only run 150psi in it (I'm about 230lbs with gear and water). I like a little extra sag (30%) to keep the HT angle on my bike good, and with a little extra compression damping, I get full travel without bottoming harshly.

Great fork

mtbr member
    Never mind....

mtbr member
    UPDATE
    I guess Air is the way to go,

I did a little searching and Found a Drake Fork, which fork do you guys think is better..?

2009 Manitou Drake Super Air Absolute + Shock Pump - $319 w/o Shipping
    Or
    2008 Rock Shock Tora 318 Solo Air - $258 w/ Shipping & Shock Pump
    Last edited by Hardtail Rider; 03-15-2009 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 for Cambria bikes, I bought one from them and so did my friend...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    That looks like a really good deal, thanks for posting it!

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! !!! ~ Update ~ !!!

Thanks everyone for the Help, My Tora Air came in today & I have a few question before I cut it tomorrow.

1. Is there anything that I need to do before cutting/installing the Fork beside setting pre-load & pumping Air?

2. How often do I need to service My Fork to keep its performance up..
    Like Adding Shock Oil or something...? (I'm Clueless).
    Last edited by Hardtail Rider; 03-19-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks everyone for the Help, My Tora Air came in today & I have a few question before I cut it tomorrow.

1. Is there anything that I need to do before cutting/installing the Fork side setting pre-load & pumping Air?

2. How often do I need to service My Fork to keep its performance up..
    Like Adding Shock Oil or something...? (I'm Clueless).
    It is air...no need for oil! you can set the preload and pump air after its installed. Just make sure you add some spacers incase you want to sell or change the height.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup spacers are good... lets you adjust it if need be in the future... or you get a different frame...

for inital use... slip a zip tie onto one of the stactions (SP?) and get the shock pump and get some air in there... use the chart on the side for a baseline of PSI for proper sag...

read this for a quick setup guide...
    Suspension Set-up Basics for the Beginner
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

29 some of the time...
    Cool, glad you got on air. I don't trust any of the mfgs to make a coil strong enough for you. I have a friend at Fox and the party line there is over 210lb, get on air. RS is the same. Some big guys don't mind riding a 30-40% sagged fork, but I can't stomach a fork that bottoms out doing a 2-3ft drop.

My White Brothers Fluid was an exception to this. It has air assist and fairly stiff springs. Worked for me all last year. I was about 225-235lb throughout the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Another Update.

I couldn't wait so I got the tube cut, I'm having a problem installing my Stock BB5 Disk Brake

I think I need something, what is it called?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Another Update.

I couldn't wait so I got the tube cut, I'm having a problem installing my Stock BB5 Disk Brake

I think I need something, what is it called?
    Adapter for your disc brakes???

The fork is IS mount, your calipers are either post or IS. If your having difficulties, and your using a 160mm rotor then chances are your caliper is post mount. If your using something bigger than a 160mm then you will need an adapter for your rotor size. Bike shop should have the part.

Look at the old fork...Is the mounting different?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast