mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Toasted my rear wheel......

I've got. A fisher advance that came with a matrix 550 wheel set. Well I tweaked the rear this weekend and a bike shop told me that the rim was toast.

Here's my deal I'm a 235 lb rider and if I've got to replace this wheel set I want something that's going to take the kind of abuse I dish out with out breaking the bank ($250 or less). Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ryno lites, around $130 for the pair. Jenson and Pricepoint.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    What kind of riding do you do?

XT hubs laced to Mavic 717/719/819 rims are pretty durable IME. I'm 200lbs. I do some small drops and bounce off quite a few rocks on my rigid 1x1 and the XT-717 wheelset from bicycle wheel warehouse has held up well. Paid ~$200 for em.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm a fairly aggressive rider. I've been looking at both mavics and ryno lites. Just not sure which is a better bang for the buck, and something I'm not going to trash either.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    The XT-819 combo is right at the top of your price range, but if I were doing it again that's the route I'd go. The 819's are a strong rim with good width and are tubeless to boot.

The 819 is an 'all mountain' rim, so it'll be a bit stiffer/stronger then the 717's I have.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    well i ended up going with the rhyno lite xl's....got 'em for $169 out the door.....

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by apache36
    well i ended up going with the rhyno lite xl's....got 'em for $169 out the door.....
    Out of curiosity, from whom did you decide to purchase the set?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got them from schellers in louisville. They had them in stock with deore hubs and swiss dt spokes. It seemed like a decent deal and I'm going out again this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I got them from schellers in louisville. They had them in stock with deore hubs and swiss dt spokes. It seemed like a decent deal and I'm going out again this weekend.

Underskilled
    You should confirm if the rim really is toast before spending cash.
    My bikesho said my rear rim was toast ages ago, it has a number of flatspots and is not completely true. So I fixed most of the flat spots with a vice and spoked back the rest.
    A rim doesn't need to look perfect to work!

just buy something designed for DH, you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    he straightened and re-trued the wheel, but then warned me that since it was a single wall wheel, that it would not take the abuse i was giving it for much longer. i had been looking at the rhynolite xl's anyway so i just went ahead and pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dinervan
    Your bikeshop probably said that to sell you another one, it's sad if you didn't know better.
    Why's that so? Not everyone knows exactly what deems an unsafe rim. If they tell me it's toast and can give a good reason, I'd listen. Wheels are safety items. I'd rather be fooled by the LBS and spend a couple hundred bucks than to prove them right on the trail and spend a couple weeks healing.

Underskilled
    Bikeshops are motivated by a few reasons, the small profit on a new wheel is nothing compared to not killing their customer by aproving a potentially dangerous wheel.

Bikeshops er on the side of caution with good reason.

I have often been told not to ride my bike because it is dangerous, Niner, my bikeshop, Niner and finally Niner.

Probably didn't need replacing, but if it did you potentially saved yourself serious injury.