Super Clyde-ish
    Mar 2008

Toasted Freewheel???

So I'm relatively new to mt biking, purchased a brand new closeout '07 Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 from Performance last year...was a great deal as they matched the price from Randall Scott...$399

So after taking some time off during the holidays....ummm...yeah that's it, I'm inspired again, and my brother buying a bike helped too. So anyway with about 40 miles on my bike and my 6'2" 325lb (ex college football player, about 220lbs lean mass according to Valens Medical) my bike won't freewheel...happened about 1/2 way thru my ride last Sunday after a long climb (Mustard Hill in Whitting Ranch for you OC guys)

advice needed. Granted I know my bike was inexpensive, but it fit my budget and I'm riding
    Satin Black 2007 Iron Horse Warrior 3.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Easy fix. You can buy a replacement freehub from the LBS. I bought a new set of rims with cheap Deore hubs and the freewheel broke after 5 rides. LBS should be able to replace it for relatively cheap, but if you want to do it yourself here are instructions.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    that bike uses a free hub not a freewheel... big difference FYI... freewheel has the ratchet mecanism built into the sprockets themselves...

free hubs on the other hand (what you have) have the ratcheting mechanism built into the hub itself.... you should just take it in to have your LBS take a look at it... it's not uncommon for clyds to kill these things... especially the cheap no namers (which it looks like they used on your bike)... if you LBS can fix it cheaply then awesome... if not you'll need a new hub... in reality it'll prob be cheaper to buy a new wheel from pricepoint or something with a better free hub...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

29 some of the time...
    That is a lot of unnecessary information. In order to give proper advice we need to know what we are dealing with. Is there a brand name or model information printed on the hub? Once we know what you have then we can make some more educated guesses. Freehubs can seize, but it is fairly uncommon in itself. Stuff like the bearing cones spinning and tightening up on it or even a bent axle are more common IME.

If there is no mfg info on it you may be best served taking it to a local shop for estimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Super Clyde-ish
    Mar 2008
    Sorry for the unnecessary info...

there is no name or branding on the hub....and I understand the brand of wheel is irrelevant. I just got off the phone with Performance Customer Service, who directed me to their shop near me, they recommend bringing it in and they will have their mechanics take a look. I'll drop it off today and let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for the replies,
    Robert

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oops, I said freehub first then I said freewheel when I meant freehub. Buy a new freehub, $20.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    see what the shop says... go from there... something may have broken that can easily be replaced (best case) or worst case you'll need a new hub... in which case a new wheel is prob cheaper... it's a hurry up and wait type game now
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Super Clyde-ish
    Mar 2008

Well

Performance took care of me, they replaced the entire rear wheel with a Forte TerraMax, it doesn't match the WTB front, but I also didn't have to pay, I'm assuming because the bike was 11months old...

Either way, I'm satisfied with their action, and I rode yesterday, so all is good.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    they say what was wrong with it? glad to hear they took care of you... would be neat to have some of those huge bike shops around here... but I am thankful for the relationship I have with my shop
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie