mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Titus El Guapo for a 240lber?

Hey guys, I'm sure the "which bike" question gets asked quite often here, but you guys seem to know your stuff.
    I'm building a new bike for next season right now. I've narrowed my frame selection down to two. The El Guapo or the Tracer 2. They both have reasonably low leverage ratios and both get great reviews.
    My concerns are the EG is 10x135mm only in the rear end.(really wanted 12mm thru axle) Tracer 2 is 12x142mm. Both bikes come an RP23. Not sure the shock can handle heavier riders.
    Any of you guys have expeirence with either of these bikes?
    I have a budget of about 1400$ for the frame. The Titus is a lot cheaper then the Tracer 2
    Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm heavier than you and have been riding a Turner Sultan (with the RP23) for a couple of years with no issues. The RP23 is fine with you and until recently, bolt thru was DH only, so you won't die because of that.
    Is it a second hand frame? I see they are shipping with Rockshox Monarch RT3 shock now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info. It is a second hand frame. I haven't been able to find a new one anywhere. On-One has no stock. Where have you seen them for sale?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just looking on the Titus website - no comment on stock. You'd be best emailing them for stock predictions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just for support for the RP23, I'm at 235 and the RP23 in my Rize works great (single pivot design). I use a 10mm through on the rear, and it is wonderfully stiff. I don't think that the 10 vs 12 would be enough for me to choose a frame (unless I was doing pure knarly down hill). The 10mm axles on my Hadleys seem more than tough enough

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. I've decided to go for the Tracer 2. It will cost a little more, but its a bike I've been drooling over for awhile now. It has everything i'm looking.
    Hopefully it works out.