mtbr member

Tire pressure for super clydes.

I'm trying to figure out what a good tire pressure is with my WTB MotoRaptor 2.24" tires. At 320 pounds I usually just inflate to 60 psi and go ride. I barely see any tire compression at this air pressure and I'm assuming I can go lower, I am just not sure how much lower.

What are you other super clydes running in the front and rear? Gonna probably buy some wider tires and possibly tubeless tires in a little but want to get some more use out of the MotoRaptors.

I plead the fizif
    I am about 290lbs and run at around 50psi. I will run a little higher psi for pavement or hardpack and a little lower for rougher terrain.

mtbr member
    How wide is your tire that you run at 50 psi?

I plead the fizif
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    How wide is your tire that you run at 50 psi?
    2.25" front and back

banned
    I am 285lbs before gear and have run all of my tires at 38 on the back and between 32 and 35 on the front. Never pinch flatted and have great traction. Use Geax Sturdy's and you'll be able to run these pressures with no worries.

Probably drunk right now

Aaarrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

I'm trying to figure out what a good tire pressure is with my WTB MotoRaptor 2.24" tires. At 320 pounds I usually just inflate to 60 psi and go ride. I barely see any tire compression at this air pressure and I'm assuming I can go lower, I am just not sure how much lower.

What are you other super clydes running in the front and rear? Gonna probably buy some wider tires and possibly tubeless tires in a little but want to get some more use out of the MotoRaptors.

Get rid of the skinny tires. Don't run anything less than 2.4's. There's no benefit in running skinny tires.

Oncve you switch to higher volume tires, you should be able to start lowering the pressure incrementally. Start at 50 psi and see how they feel. It you're still feeling okay, drop 5 pounds until your tires start to roll over or you're feeling them "thud or clunk" the rim over obstacles.

mtbr member
    Can't go bigger than a 2.35" in the back on the Ibex Atlas, I think I'm gonna order some 2.5" WTB Dissent DH for the front and 2.35" wire bead Maxxis High Rollers for the back.

In the mean time I'll try running 55 psi in the back and 50 in the front on the 2.24" and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Can't go bigger than a 2.35" in the back on the Ibex Atlas, I think I'm gonna order some 2.5" WTB Dissent DH for the front and 2.35" wire bead Maxxis High Rollers for the back.

In the mean time I'll try running 55 psi in the back and 50 in the front on the 2.24" and see what happens.
    I run WTB Mutano Raptors: Front — 2.24 @ 45 psi & Rear — 2.4 @ 40 psi. I have been liking this setup for most terrain types. I weigh about 265 (or 120 kg sounds better). I might go with the 2.4 in the front, since the 2.4 actually weighs less than the 2.24.
    —Ponyski

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Aren't there max recommended PSI for the rims, and aren't you exceeding them?

There's a guy in the shop that's borrowing a bike for his daily commute. He's 6'3" and >250lbs. Anyway, I've got slicks on the bike b/c it's all road riding and have had to pump them up to 60PSI which is within the range recommended for that tire, but I know it exceeds the recommended range from rim manufacturer (Mavic).

mtbr member
    Good question, did not know about max air pressures for rims. I emailed Sun to see how much pressure their SOS rims can take. I've ordered the new fatter 2.5" and 2.35" tires, once I install those I think I'll drop the pressure down to the high 40s. I got some 1.5mm down hill tubes to go with the new tires so I'm hoping I don't get any pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    why are you guys running lower pressures on the front than the back? any pro's or con's on it? would it help in dry/sandy conditions???

banned
    You can get away with lower pressure on the front because your weight isn't directly over the wheel. Yes the lower pressure does help in almost all situations

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks Eddie.

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    I'm about ~260 lbs in full riding gear rolling 2.35" front and rear with 35/40 psi respectively with no pinched flats in the last few years.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I like to have enough pressure that when putting your full body weight on the tire (both hands, leaning over on top of the tire) the tire sags enough on the bottom to just barely not have full tread contactact side-2-side.

To me, this is a good baseline/starting-point, is cush enough but firm enough to not pinch-flat on the first square-edge hit I find or drop I do unfortunately hard.

May be worth using DH tubes too, for the extra strength in combating pinch-flats. I don't though.

Underskilled
    I weigh 240 and run 30 on the back and 20 on the front on 2.1s.
    I use the Maxxis Ignitor LUST I cannot reccomend the tire enough, doesn't slip on anything, I mean anything!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I run 40 psi all around.

mtbr member
    Got my new tires in, 2.5" Wire Bead Dissent with 2.25mm tube up front, and a wire bead 2.35" Maxxis High Roller with 1.2mm tube in the back. I'm going to be running 40 psi in the front, and 50 psi in the back. I'm gonna be riding on rocky trails tomorrow, will report if there are any problems.

Captain Underpants
    35psi f/r on 2.35 Rampages (29er), no flats after 4 months.