mtbr member

time to make the switch to full suspension?

I'm a clydsdale at 250 and 6'4" and I'm shopping for my new bike, replacing my single speed 29er. I love the SS but I like to put longer miles on and the limited speed on flats on a single speed is frustrating (and I would prefer not to walk up the climbs as much as I have to on the ss). Anyway, I've always riden a hardtail since the late 80's.

I ride in an area that has pretty steep switch back riding and great single track downhill. I do a lot of xc riding in rocky areas as well. My last ride there on my ss (full rigid) I lost my water bottle due to the rough ride and it beat up my arms and hands bad. But front suspension will come on either option.

My budget is ~$2000 and I can get a pretty sweet hardtail 29er for that amount. Stumpjumper, Trek/Gary Fischer Paragon,

My LBS showed me the Giant Anthem 29x 3 with SLX and Fox shocks and said that's what I need. ~$2300. I can make the budget work but is it time to make the switch to full suspension? For the $ I get lower level components with full suspension than hardtail but will it make my rides faster and more fun? Will it be frustrations on the flats and pavement getting to/from my rides?

Any other die hard hardtailers made the switch recently that can contribute? Pros and cons? I've never riden a full suspension bike so I just don't know....help.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You should try and get to a demo day at a local trail where you can try out a full suspension bike. This really is a personal choice, no correct answer.

That said, I doubt the Anthem X will disappoint, even on the flats.

Whether it will make you fast, have more fun, that really depends on where you ride and what you like to do. It will certainly beat you up less than a fully rigid or a hardtail. It certainly will climb technical terrain better the a fully rigid or a hardtail. It should descend better than a fully rigid or hardtail in most off circumstances.