mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here. Ti Seatpost and seatpost shims

Hey all.

About 3 Bills here and was looking for a nicer seatpost. I came across a Ti seat post however it is narrower tubing than my bike. (27.2 vs 30.9)

2 Questions here:

Have anyone ever used a seatpost shim??

Should I be concerned about my size with the Ti post???

Thanks

Making fat cool since '71
    I have a Ti post (finally!) on my 'cross bike and it's fine. I'm only 260-ish/255 though and it is a CX bike, not a MTB. I wouldn't worry about the shims if your seatpost collar is quality, but at 3 hundred...I get skeered with thin pieces of Ti stuck way out acting as levers.

I guess I would ask: why Ti at your weight.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Two reasons really why I was looking at this seatpost.

1: I am obsessed with having top end stuff (stupid and costly I know, but I dig well made stuff)

2: I would think the Ti tubing would absorb some of the shock going up the seatpost helping ease some impact to my ass and back.

Thoughts>?

Making fat cool since '71
    Ti does flex a bit but is more suited to reduce chatter (think road vibrations) than truly "shock like" in a seatpost application. Best for one application doesn't equate to best for all. They make sense on road/cx bikes in my brain, but not on mtb, particularly with big boys. If you have the dough...do what you gotta do. Find a 30.9 though. They are out there.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    I'd spend that 3 bills on a Thompson post and the most comfortable saddle I could find

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    3bills refers to his about 300# weight

i'd goto a thompson and find a saddle that fits your sitbone well (i'm saving for a brooks myself) granted that would be an odd combo (light weight post and heavy saddle).... but i speculate that it'll be nice and comfy once the saddle is broken in... if brooks isn't for you then opt for one of the many other saddles out there... a well padded saddle doesn't mean it's comfy though

I know a lot of people like Ti... but i don't trust it when so much is exposed... thats a lot of leverage on a metal that bends (at least it doesn't snap like carbon)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    3bills refers to his about 300# weight
    Why am I even lurking in the Clydesdale forum anyway?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I called up Kent Eriksen (former founder of Moots).

He currently makes a Ti seatpost called the "Sweetpost". They said they have people 280+ riding them with no problems. He also said if I wanted he would add a support rail inside the tubing to help reenforce it (he said I need it though). I think I'm gonna go for it ($200 and it weights less than 160g.)

What saddles are you guys using???? Im currently using a WTB Lazer V

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Power V for DH and Lazer V for everything else.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by rollout925
    He currently makes a Ti seatpost called the "Sweetpost". They said they have people 280+ riding them with no problems. He also said if I wanted he would add a support rail inside the tubing to help reenforce it (he said I need it though). I think I'm gonna go for it ($200 and it weights less than 160g.)
    How much weight does the reinforcement rail weigh?

Honestly, just buy a Thompson Elite or Masterpiece seatpost, the Masterpiece is a160g nominal weight as well, why bother going with Ti when you KNOW you'll have zero problems with the Thompson?

... and it's not like the damned things are cheap or entry level
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Power V all the way.

Don't use shims, they suck.

The good thing about thomsons too is that they are designed to fail safely. Not that it's probably ever happened, but if they fail they fold, not snap. Ask your Ti guy if he can guarantee that with his post.

And yes in concurrence with everyone else, you should get a thomson. Spend the extra money on chris king stuff!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Got the Kings

Ti doesn't snap, it folds. I dont know of a lot of metals that do snap.

I'll prob pick up a thomson but these Ti posts are prett sweet. Plus I like the shop and the owners. You can call them up and the guy answering the phone (Kent) is the guy who founded Moots and made their bikes or his wife (who races as well). At Moots a Ti post (which he most likely designed) is $400. These are 200. but thomsons are 70-80 and you can't beat it.

mtbr member
    well, get the Ti then, if they say it's fine for your weight. Why can't they do one in your seatpost size? That's the main issue using shims is a pita.

The more unobtanium the better!