Lord Thunderbottom

Thudbuster worth a try?

Any clydes here have any experience with the thudbuster type seatpost?

I just bought a sawyer, I really wanted a rigid steel bike that's kinda do it all, might go single speed, I use it for light trails and cruising around town, on longer road rides I'm getting a fuzz tired in the nether region, gotta love crappy city streets, I've got a couple seats left to try out yet too

I swore there was a post like this but either the search function is not working or I'm incompetent

and I'm in the 250# range

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I run the LT(Long Travel) version and find it to be a big improvement. I ride pretty aggressively on southeast US singletrack. If you only do light trails and pavement, the short travel version would be perfect. If you buy through a Cane Creek dealer, you will get different elastomers to accomodate any weight(I'm 260).
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This place is like high school, except the morons here don't get automatically put in stupid kid classes...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've used both the ST and LT. I run both with the hardest elastomers and they make quite a difference. I ended up liking the LT more because it takes the oomph out of the hardest hits. I run it with lots of preload so it doesn't bob all over the place. I'm 220 lbs, absolutely love it.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I like the concept... but i'm over the weight limit by to significant of a margin for me to risk it (250 weight limit)... I like the idea... and when I get to that weight requirment i'll prob give it a try if I don't have a full squish bike by then lol...

side note... how you like the sawyer?... how much you drop on it?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    side note... how you like the sawyer?... how much you drop on it?
    I dig it, I'm swappng it to 1x9 for now, and already swapped to 203 and 185 rotors for my fattness, it's perfect for the riding I intend to do with it but set up right it could blast the trails too with the exception of weight

picked it up for $1150 - 2011, also got a pretty good deal on a set of tires at the same time so more like $1100

The stock rear tire is trash and I've got the road rash to prove it

I was riding it in snow/ice and salt/sandy roads so it's not all the tire's fault

after further review I'm actually going to go retro with the sawyer and pick up a brooks flyer rather than a suspension post

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    how long you had it?... my LBS has offered a similar deal out the door for a 2011... gunna test ride one tomm before I decide though lol... was thinking a brooks works for it myself
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Lord Thunderbottom
    I've only had it for a few weeks, probably less than 100 miles total but I've hit most surfaces with it, road, gravel, milder singletrack, ice/snow, although I have not hit the rocky rooty singletrack yet

It's my first trek 29er (G2) and it handles pretty similar to my spec camber 29er, if anything the little bit looser or wobbly feeling I'm getting in the bars is a combination of rigid fork and the totally different hand position from the crivitz bar, I'm noticing this less and less the more I ride it

I actually like the crivitz bars more than I expected, I'm thinking maybe the trek handles tight turns just a fuzz better than the camber but without hitting the tougher singletrack I'm not 100% on that so YMMV

I am glad I went rigid for the purpose I wanted this bike, it reminds me of the BMX days, push the pedals and all the power goes forward, the steel is certainly a little softer than my alum hardtails, I'm hoping rigid forces me to be a little less sloppy on the trails, I kinda get into a "just hit it" or sloppy riding additude with the full squish camber

The amount of options for building this frame into virtually anything you want can't be discounted either, geared/ss/belt drive

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thudbuster ST owner here on a hybrid/road bike. Mutes out a lot of the crappy roads where I live. Overall great purchase. If you're considering purchasing it, check out amazon.