mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thoughts on Kona Hoss Deluxe

Just like the title states, what is everyones opinion on the Hoss D'luxe. I an renewing my interest in riding after a few years down, I currently have a SPecialized HardrockPro and am looking at the Kona's. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I forgot, I am 5'11 250

Your bike is incorrigible
    The Hoss is a good bike. Good geometry and tough as hell. I built mine up from the frame, so I got to chose the best components. I've heard sketchy things about the stock fork and wheels. But the real question is your budget. You have a HT now. With the money you are going to spend on the Hoss, you could get into a FS. I can tell you right now that my FS is a lot more comfortable than the Hoss. The Hoss is the stiffest frame I've ridden, and it has a tendency to beat up the rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The wheels on the deluxe are Sun DitchWitch, have you heard bad things about those or the Alex rims that come on the Regular Hoss

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by csmoot26
    The wheels on the deluxe are Sun DitchWitch, have you heard bad things about those or the Alex rims that come on the Regular Hoss
    Let me explain what I've "heard" from others posting on this forum. They dislike the fork, believing it to be cheap, bottoming out and lacking rebound. That constituted the majority of the complaints I've read. There have also been some complaints about the wheelset that came with it. Now I don't know if there have been changes over the past couple of years or if they were complaining about the regular Hoss that came with the cheaper wheelset.

You can actually build up your Hoss from the frame like I did, and it won't cost that much. As I recall, the first build was about $1300, and the second was about $1000. I had some Shimano hubs on Rynolite rims and a Manitou Black Elite fork. The things that added to the original cost were a nice Thomson stem, better handlebars, expensive pedals and an XT drivetrain. Those items totalled about $450. I replaced them with a $35 stem/handlebar combo, some Ritchey Mountain V pedals and SRAM X7 rear derailleur and shifters. The total cost of those items was about $150. The only thing I noticed was improved shifting!

In other words, the frame is excellent and I recommend it. Just beware that others have disliked the stock components. Try a search on this forum for other Hoss reviews, and ask your LBS about the true clydeworthiness of the stock components.

mtbr member
    I "test rode" a Hoss las year and didn't like the way the fork felt. I liked the Specializd Rockhopper's feel much better in terms of xc rides. The Hoss is a great bike, you need to ride it yourself to decide, but I felt like the shock didn't repond well
    Just grip it and rip it, that's how I live my life.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm riding an 06 Hoss that I bought about five months ago on closeout. Didn't really dig the fork so I replaced it with a Reba. The brakes for that model year were Hayes So1e's but it looks like they're using the new Stroker brakes now. I haven't had any trouble with the wheelset at this point, except that it's pretty heavy. I'm about the same height and weight as you are.

Like I said, I got my 06 for $499, but it appears that the 08 Hoss is $999--only $100 more than last year's Hoss Standard, but with much nicer stuff on there (Marz Dirt Jumper 2, XT Shadow rear der, Hayes Stroker). I like the bike a lot overall, especially with the Reba on there.

mtbr member
    I've got a 2005 Hoss Deluxe, and haven't had any serious issues with it. I think I recently blew out the fork (Marzocchi) and am starting to look into a replacement, and I'm considering a new set of rims (more spokes and all) to hold a 2.35" or so tire, so those are my next set of tweaks. I've also replaced the seat (went with an WTB Speed V) and pedals (Kona platforms), and am looking into a new post. Aside from that, it's all good. Always looking for info on better (read: stronger and more stable) parts to avoid the inevitable breaks....

bi-winning

to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    Now I don't know if there have been changes over the past couple of years or if they were complaining about the regular Hoss that came with the cheaper wheelset.

If you have concerns about any of the specific components on the bike, take a look in the reviews section here on MTBR. I find it to be a valuable resource. But, of course, you need to use your own judgment to determine how valid the review are.

Especially when it comes to wheels. How well the wheel is built makes a huge difference. Reviewer XYZ may conclude that the Ditch Witch is a terrible rim. Well, maybe the spoke tension on his wheel was too high, low, or uneven, resulting in his unfavorable opinion of what might be a great product.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I have a 06 Hoss Delux that I use for my XC rides. The frame and geometry are excellent for an all around XC bike and i was even using it as my DH bike for a month until I bought a dedicated DH bike. I really dont mind the fork as I have it set up pretty stiff (ie. unresponsive). The Hayes brakes are fine for XC but wouldnt want to use them on my DH bike. My rear Sun DItch Witch wheel has had multiple spoke failure but I had it rebuilt at a good shop with really good DT Swiss spokes for $40 and it is now fine. Other than that, have replaced my seat and bottom bracket after they broke. My motto, if u get a good deal on the bike, buy it and replace things when they break.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was shopping around for a hardtail, checked out the Hoss among others, and for the same price as a Hoss, less actually, I picked up an 07 Rockhopper Comp disk. Really happy with that decision as it seems pretty sturdy...only time will tell. Only thing I've swapped out so far is the torture device um I mean saddle.