mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thomson Seatpost for Dale?

Hi Folks, I am buying a used MTB frame and the owner is trying to sell me the Thomson seatpost to go along, these are rather pricey and I guess he is selling it at a decent price. I looked in the Thomson review section and most say it is a great post and strong yet there is a minority who tell tales of it's weakness? My question is does anyone have Clydesdale experience with these? Thanks D

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    you have nothing to worry about...thomsons are sweet posts for us "bigger" kind

mtbr member
    no other post I'd even consider.
    you don't have to know anything to post a review on here.

Jesus loved the dinosaurs
    It's the only seatpost I have been unable to break. I've had mine ~5 years now, and riding it hard with no problems.

Making fat cool since '71
    Thomson is the *only* post I will spend money on. In 13+ years of mtb'ing I've broken 7 or 8 seatposts I can think of. One of them was a Thomson and it didn't really brake, but it did bend (looks a lot like their "lay back" post now...). I've busted (snapped) other posts on what seemed to be "lame" crashes/landings. The one Thomson that died did so when I stuffed the front side of a double/gap trying to carry a 12' gap from a lip about 10' up (almost made it; two more feet!). The post was way too high (about 7" exposed) for that move, but we had just finished an XC ride and were playing in the "parking area" and well...oops. I've had the post come out fine after totally landing dumb/haaaaarrrrddd off an 8' to flat-uphill... and the seat being broke, my nose being broke and a wheel needing "attention."

Thomson: the best seat post in my *never* humble opinion.

Brock...

PS: new they can be had for $75-$90; used <$60.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Something the others are forgetting is that Thomson makes two posts, the Elite and the Masterpiece. The Elite is the toughest post around, and I wouldn't think of sticking some other garbage on my bike. However, the Masterpiece is made to be lighter for racing. As such, it can't handle nearly as much abuse. Check to make sure the post is the Elite and then buy it. I mean, you would eventually buy one anyway.

A used one in good shape should be about $40.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    ...Elite...
    A used one in good shape should be about $40.
    And a new one is worth its price too.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have a 27.2mm Masterpiece on my road bike and the 30.9mm Elite on my Giant Reign. Both great posts and plenty clyde-worthy IMHO.

Currently 279lbs.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I have a 27.2mm Masterpiece on my road bike and the 30.9mm Elite on my Giant Reign. Both great posts and plenty clyde-worthy IMHO.

Currently 279lbs.
    I'm just trying to think of any reason for Thomson getting less than perfect reviews besides someone being a jerk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I've got a used 30.9 for sale if someone would like to par take of the Thomson goodness.

As the others have said, THE ONLY thing to ride.

$40 (US)

PM me

banned
    I weigh 280lbs give or take and have Thomson Elites on two of my bikes. Ride the hell out of the bikes and no problems with the posts. I had a Titec post on a bike a few years ago and on the third ride someone riding with me metioned that he had not seen that particular post with layback. Actually it didn't have layback it was bent. Needless to say I put on an Elite and no problems since.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

From the Thomson FAQs

Q - How much lighter is the Masterpiece than the Thomson Elite?
    A - A 27.2 x 330 Masterpiece weighs 193 grams, 30 grams lighter than the Elite and the 27.2 x 240mm Masterpiece weighs 158 grams.

Q - Is the Masterpiece strong enough to use on a Mountain Bike?
    A - Masterpiece posts are only about 7% weaker than Elite posts, the only post stronger than the Masterpiece is the Thomson Elite.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    I've got a used 30.9 for sale if someone would like to par take of the Thomson goodness.

As the others have said, THE ONLY thing to ride.

$40 (US)

PM me
    Is it a 410mm or 350mm?

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Is it a 410mm or 350mm?
    Thomson Elite SP-E128
    30.9x367
    243 grams

Uncut and ready to support ya.

mtbr member
    I would stay with the Elite post as a clyde, the small weight savings just isn't worth the sacrifice of durability. I push 280 lbs when fully geared and have ridden nothing but Thomson Elite posts for seven years without a single problem. The post on my rigid ss is a six year old Thomson that has been moved from bike to bike and is still working perfectly without even the slightest squeak or creek. I now have three mountain bikes in the stable, all with Thomson posts and stems and I will never run anything else.

mtbr member
    Thompson posts are the only posts I will ride. I have 4 or 5 floating around the garage between the different bikes.

I've broken/bent any other post I have tried.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.