Team Chilidog!

Upset Thompson Seatposts

I have broken two of the cylilnder bolts on two different seatposts in the past year. This last seatpost bolt victim included my saddle, which is now somewhere on the non-crooked part of Lombard Street in San Francisco (it came off driving back from Marin).

I weight 189 lbs, down from 200 lbs, so I can't figure out the problem.

I'm done with the @&#$* things and I'm trying a Kore Elite. Has anyone had any luck with 'em, good or otherwise? They looks significantly stronger boltwise, especially when I put my weight on it (it also doesn't seem to complain).

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I have broken two of the cylilnder bolts on two different seatposts in the past year. This last seatpost bolt victim included my saddle, which is now somewhere on the non-crooked part of Lombard Street in San Francisco (it came off driving back from Marin).

I weight 189 lbs, down from 200 lbs, so I can't figure out the problem.

I'm done with the @&#$* things and I'm trying a Kore Elite. Has anyone had any luck with 'em, good or otherwise? They looks significantly stronger boltwise, especially when I put my weight on it (it also doesn't seem to complain).
    It's possible that the bolts may have been overtorqued.

I've noticed that with the Thomson, you have to alternate torquing one bolt, then the other, repeating the process until you reach the proper torque. As durable as the Thomson post is, the bolts are somewhat soft and, IMO, are the only weak link with that post. If the bolts are torqued properly, there is no post stronger than the Thomson.

I had a Thomson, and when I popped the bolts on that post (I weigh 240), I went back to using a Race Face XY seatpost....and haven't had a problem since.

change is good
    Sep 2004

I've broken many posts

including the XY, but never a Thomson. I tend to run alot of post. I'm always surprised to hear that someone had a problem with one. The XY caused a 5cm ragged laceration very close to my tender parts. I run between 220 to 260lbs.

mtbr member
    You want to make sure that you are not overtorqueing your bolts. As previous post mentioned, you need to alternate between the bolts to tighten them down. I'm 240lbs and I have had no problems whatsoever. The first thing I do when I get bike is to switch to a thompson post.

Scotch or Bourbon?

Good job! no problems with thompson

I have had a thompson for over a year and a half with no problems. my weight is way too far into the fatass zone right now. my preveous post was a syncross titianium, (no longer in bussiness) and that one has lasted 10 years. prior to that I did break a high end aluminum post but I dont remember the brand.
    it goes without saying, and common sence would dictate altenate torqueing of the bolts. however not everyone in the mountain bike comunity has common sence. good luck with whatever you choose.
    YOU'RE NOT ME THEREFORE YOU'RE IRRELEVANT.

Making fat cool since '71
    I've broken Easton, RF & Ringle' posts (from $40-$70) before "seeing the light" and going Thomson. No breaks, no complaints, no issues three years after my first one (running them on both bikes now). The bolt tightening is key (and not as user friendly as other posts). You are pretty light so the Kore should be fine unless you case a landing or something odd happens. Good luck.

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fredrick flintstone
    I have had a thompson for over a year and a half with no problems. my weight is way too far into the fatass zone right now. my preveous post was a syncross titianium, (no longer in bussiness) and that one has lasted 10 years. prior to that I did break a high end aluminum post but I dont remember the brand.
    it goes without saying, and common sence would dictate altenate torqueing of the bolts. however not everyone in the mountain bike comunity has common sence. good luck with whatever you choose.
    I'm not sure if I should be insulted or not about the "common sense" comment.

I DID alternate tightening the bolts, and I still had problems.

Team Cspine

it's distinctly possible...

...that you got snaked by some cr@ppy bolts, seriously.

Bolts that are too soft and don't meet any specs, especially for grade 5, 8, etc., are a real problem. You might try finding some quality bolts before you throw away an $80-90 seat post.

Bogus bolts have been a problem in racing for years and even the military has had to refit some aircraft in the past because of suspect bolts that made it into the inventory. I know some race teams even turn their own bolts on a lathe for important areas on their cars.

Just a thought...
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Every Thompson post I have ever owned is flawless.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletbob
    ...that you got snaked by some cr@ppy bolts, seriously.

Bolts that are too soft and don't meet any specs, especially for grade 5, 8, etc., are a real problem. You might try finding some quality bolts before you throw away an $80-90 seat post.

Bogus bolts have been a problem in racing for years and even the military has had to refit some aircraft in the past because of suspect bolts that made it into the inventory. I know some race teams even turn their own bolts on a lathe for important areas on their cars.

Just a thought...
    I'm thinking that's the problem more than anything. I just happen to get two bad sets of bolts. *sigh*

Unfortunately, I lost too many parts to the seatpost to continue using it, so I had to get another one. I will tell you it's really annoying that bolts don't go through any QC

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I'm not sure if I should be insulted or not about the "common sense" comment.

I DID alternate tightening the bolts, and I still had problems.
    Let me ask the obvious: Did you the recommended torque on them?

I use a torque wrench to set the torque on the clamp bolts on my Thomson post and haven't had a problem with any of them since I got the first one several years ago. And I'm 250 lbs with a long prior history of bent and/or broken seatposts and saddle rails.

Using the torque wrench has shown me that it's amazingly easy to over-tighten those bolts beyond the recommended 5 ft-lbs / 60 in-lbs even with a short L-shape hex wrench or small multi-tool.