mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thinking FS 29er -- Frame options?

Been looking at the JET9 closeouts -- not a bad price for a venture into FS for a while. My back has been killing me + i'm getting older.. What do you think? 6'2" 240lbs.

I read a few concerning things about JET9 breakage (maybe pre 2010 frame?). Can anyone comment on this?

Are there other options I should be looking at? I want to spend just around $1k for a frame.

Thanks!
    Mark

Underskilled
    The Jet is a XC frame, they are designed for skinny racers, not real men.

If you can hunt down a RIP or a WFO you will be far more happy.

The frame weight differences are negligable, only a couple of lb from jet to wfo. What you get is a stronger stiffer lower maintainence frame.

If you can only afford the Jet, then get the Jet, just remember it is an awesome XC race bike, do not ride it hard.

On the plus side, if you do break it, Niner will most likely let you upgrade to a RIP for a few hundred $ for warranty.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Heh... I appreciate the candid feedback. I've been through my share of HT frames breaking at the BB weld. I think it was mostly due to the extreme torque and diesel legs. However, probably due to too much beer and chips...

Nah... No thanks, don't really want to worry about my ride breaking...

The other alternative is a thud buster on my q-ball HT? My back is killin me -- just need something to take the edge off.

Or a Voodoo Canzo?

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh? I am sure the jet would hold up if you are just looking for something to take the edge of trail obstacles, such as roots and rocks. If you are hucking or doing 3+ feet drops you may want a rip or wfo.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I rode a 2011 Jet 9 around for a few weeks and it was just fine under my 260lbs. A good bike to have if you want to take the edge off the ride of your hardtail. Most important thing IMHO is to get a good strong wheelset and a through axle fork (either QR15 or a 20mm), preferably with a tapered steerer.