mtbr member

Thinking about a Cloud Nine, input appreciated

I was thinking about getting a Cloud Nine. I like the home-servicability and obviuosly the reviews, but I was hoping for input from some of my fellow clydes because air shocks can be a tricky thing when >225lbs. Here's the situation:

I am 6'4" and 240lbs, ride a Raleigh Phase 2, and do mostly aggressive XC.

Would this shock be a good decision based on my riding style, size, and bike; or does anyone see harm in this setup? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Works for me

I have a cloud nine on my Kona A. Its a 6.5x1.5 shock with 200 psi. Seems to work fine for my XC needs. Im 225 and don't really have a problem with it bobbing. The compression and rebound damper dials have a HUGE range of adjustment. I picked up this shock used and I haven't had any trouble yet after riding this bike for 4 months and a few races.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm using a 6.5x1.5 Cloud Nine on a 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. It's a great shock for the Hollowpoint. I weigh about 205 w/o gear and between 210-215 with gear. The leverage ratio on the Hollowpoint is 3:1 and I inflate the shock to between 200-210 psi. I've used other shocks with this bike and the pressure required by the Cloud Nine is only slightly above what I used with the other shocks.

The manual states that "air pressure settings between 70 and 250 psi are typical depending upon weight and preferences of the rider; and type of bike". Note that the higher end is a typical pressure, not a maximum pressure. (I couldn't find a maximum pressure in the manual.)

The Cloud Nine is easy to service yourself. The only tools required are a soft jawed vice and a 1.5mm hex wrench. Seal kits are available from Cane Creek's web store. I lubed the seals twice though before purchasing a seal kit. My guess is that the seals were okay at the third maintenance too, but I replaced them anyway. My only complaint so far (after nearly a year of use) is that the bottom out bumper (inside the shock) is starting to deteriorate a little bit. I think that the Slick Honey I used to lube the seals prior to buying the seal kit might've caused the damage. I don't know for sure though that the Cane Creek supplied lube wouldn't have done the same thing. (The color and consistency of the Cane Creek supplied lube is roughly the same as Slick Honey.)

mtbr member
    I too am scouting the cloud...for a heckler I just bought but has not arrived.

I am 6'3 and 260 loaded, and have serious concerns about shocks in general, my only other experience is with fox float rp3 special make for a jekyll I once owned- I blew, I mean really, it blew!! And the trunion mount was STUPID on c-dales part...

The Heckler comes w/ a 5th element, but it has a #350 spring, and I know I will need at least a #400-#500. Found out today they don't make 'em anymore. Air it is, moreso because I spend most of my riding XC or light AM- no DH or free at all, and with my big arse weight is a consideration climbing...don't get me wrong, when we are talking bout weight with me, we speak in figures of 10's of pounds, not grams- but still.....

The reviews on this site speak very well of the cloud....here is my point after waisting your time....you can rebuild it easily from what I have read...no special tools, and a matter of minutes...$200 new....a fox float r is $250, and when it blows it will cost you at least $100 more to re-build....I know this as I just last Nov I sent a RC and a R to FOX for just that...$102 and $104...they did update/upgrade it to rp3, but to this day I don't really understand what that meant..just that they had to for some reason- I would guess is because outdated parts...or maybe they got me...I dunno...at least they were nice about it!

go figure,
    Cloud 9= $200 new, rebuild yourself for I'd guess probably <$20 a kit, (free from CC according to many reviewers)...
    Fox Float R (entry level air from FOX) $250, rebuild it probably once a year (depending on how much or how you ride) at $100 a go....

I am going with the Cloud dude....even though I will lose a 1/2" of travel in doing so...even if cash wasn't an issue, there are p...pppprincipalities involved.....

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by drewactual
    I too am scouting the cloud...for a heckler I just bought but has not arrived.

I am 6'3 and 260 loaded, and have serious concerns about shocks in general, my only other experience is with fox float rp3 special make for a jekyll I once owned- I blew, I mean really, it blew!! And the trunion mount was STUPID on c-dales part...

The Heckler comes w/ a 5th element, but it has a #350 spring, and I know I will need at least a #400-#500. Found out today they don't make 'em anymore. Air it is, moreso because I spend most of my riding XC or light AM- no DH or free at all, and with my big arse weight is a consideration climbing...don't get me wrong, when we are talking bout weight with me, we speak in figures of 10's of pounds, not grams- but still.....

The reviews on this site speak very well of the cloud....here is my point after waisting your time....you can rebuild it easily from what I have read...no special tools, and a matter of minutes...$200 new....a fox float r is $250, and when it blows it will cost you at least $100 more to re-build....I know this as I just last Nov I sent a RC and a R to FOX for just that...$102 and $104...they did update/upgrade it to rp3, but to this day I don't really understand what that meant..just that they had to for some reason- I would guess is because outdated parts...or maybe they got me...I dunno...at least they were nice about it!

go figure,
    Cloud 9= $200 new, rebuild yourself for I'd guess probably <$20 a kit, (free from CC according to many reviewers)...
    Fox Float R (entry level air from FOX) $250, rebuild it probably once a year (depending on how much or how you ride) at $100 a go....

I am going with the Cloud dude....even though I will lose a 1/2" of travel in doing so...even if cash wasn't an issue, there are p...pppprincipalities involved.....
    Send me a PM to remind me to look at the springs I have (I have 2 left). I used to have a Heckler w/5th and was "constantly" (felt like it...) switching springs until I found one I liked. I do not remember what the weights are I have, but I'll look if I can remember. I'd be happy to part with one if it works for you and there's a few $$ in it for me! PM me, maybe I'll remember to look...

No worries if you are set on air though (now that it's dialed-in I love my dhx-a).

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.