mtbr member
    Aug 2008

think i should attempt this?

im contemplating a 43.78 MILE bike ride. Those familiar with Toronto i would be attempting to ride from major mac all the way down to union station (which is pretty much as far as you can go before hitting the water) BTW 44 miles is from my house and back.

Now i know 44 miles is ALOT but i think if i really push myself i can do it. A couple weeks ago i walked 10.4 miles and it was pretty easy ( i think mostly because i was pretty determined)

im a 6'4, 300 pound clyde.

The things i will take are my alien tool, wallet, lock and bike, trying to keep things light.

just curious if any of you have ridden around this distance and how was it?

btw my bike is a GT avalanche 3.0 that is stock except for wheels, handle bars, stem, cranks, XT rear deraileur.

Underskilled
    This mostly depends on the terrain.

For a longer ride like this, take extra everything, not less.
    you are going to be out for a while so lots of food/water

have fun, you will feel great a few days after the ride =-)

local trails rider
    You can do it if you take your time (and have some saddle time already). Go hard and you'll burn out half way there.

You are likely to get thirsty on a ride. Bring some water. You might even need to eat something on the way.

It would really suck to have a flat and not be able to fix it...

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    did 62 miles a few weeks ago... but it was supported... i've done the 40 miles a few times unsupported though... and in all honesty it's not that many miles... granted I was rolling rigid 29er with narrow (for a MTB) slick center tires... also roll with titec H jones type bars... hand positions are good... if you don't have bar ends they'd be good just for the extra hand positions.

plan your ride... hop onto mapmyride.com and map out the route you plan... then get in the car and make sure it's a reasonably safe route... watch the weather channel for a nice day and plan to ride it... for my 40's i personaly take my 70oz camelbak (i always have this as i drink A LOT) and 2 large water bottles 1 with a sports drink (I highly recommenced HEED but have been using poweraid mix till recently) and the other with water (because near the end of the ride my camelbak will be empty)

also pack a few small "snacks"... banana is a good option, PBJ sandwich, and a few granolla bars...

drink a good swig of water ever 3-5 min... the energy drink every 10-15 min... and a "snack" every hr... also recommend an anti inflammatory before you ride (asprin is what I use)...

bring a cell phone (and make sure someone knows your ride plans so if something happens you can get a ride home)... basic tools, a spare tube + patches, and tire inflating device...

enjoy the ride... keep a steady mild pace (don't push to hard)... drink plenty of fluids... those are the big keys

granted I say all this having "trained" for a longer ride... I enjoyed the ride so much that i'm planning on a century ride come october
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    also I didn't post... when you get to a longer ride you may want to plan stopping points for snacks and top off on the drinks... that is part of the pre driving your route... figuring out where a gas station or whatever is.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks giant

i will take extra then.

It is all road riding with a few long steep hills.

I think i can do it. Biggest prob is finding the right time to do it.

mtbr member
    Go for it! Let us know how it goes.

If it's all road riding I'd seriously consider putting on some slicks.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ...if you can work yourself up to it... don't know what kind of riding you do right now... but start at 10 miles or so... bump it to 15... when you can do 25 or 30 comfortably 45 is no prob

read up on here for some good info... it's for longer distances but I followed it fairly well for the metric century (62 miles) and it worked well... was comfortable for the ride and comfortable the next day (thats the real key)
    http://www.ultracycling.com/training/centuries1.html
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigCgt
    The things i will take are my alien tool, wallet, lock and bike, trying to keep things light.
    Add helmet, water, and food (gel or energy bar).

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    gels are nasty... but if you can get em down go fer it... i'd prefer one of the good energy bars (LBS bud gave me one that was AWESOME... just haven't had a chance to go buy some still)...

that being said... different stomachs can handle different things... some are made of iron... some will have issues just from basic energy drinks... which is why you practice like you plan to ride... eat what you would on your big ride... you'll learn quickly what your body does or doesn't like
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Plus size jersey model
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    Go for it! Let us know how it goes.

If it's all road riding I'd seriously consider putting on some slicks.
    I would second the slicks. I remember some of my first 30+ rides and having enough water & food were the most important. Just go at your pace and you should be fine. Now riding 30+ mountain miles will be even tougher and more fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks for all the support everybody.

i have some vee rubbers that are slick in the middle with traction on the sides which should be good.

about the food, i will most likely stop and grab something quick.

Slave to the grind
    go go go!

and dont forget a camera so you can post the pics here afterwards.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah you can do it. Take it easy and keep the pace comfortable. even if you have to walk it up a couple of steep hills, it's still ok. 45 miles for me means 3-4 powerbars and 3-4 energy gels and lots of gatorade. You are going to want to start eating about 45 minutes into your ride to keep your energy up. For me I eat a bar at 45 minute and have a gel 30 minutes later and a bar 30 minutes after that, etc. Eat small amounts at a pretty constant rate and you will have energy to finish. Plan to stop halfway out, at the turnaround and halfway back just for a little rest. You can do it!