mtbr member

Thickest, heaviest, goopiest fork oil for a big dude.

I am buying a used '04 Cannondale Chase to use for a dirt jump clinic, it come with a Manitou Sherman Flick fork. I weight about 290 lbs and ride a 2007 Manitou Minute Super on my AM rig so I am used to running an easy to setup air fork, I will be ordering the X-firm spring and wanted to replace the oil with the thickest fork oil available.

What oil is the thickest? I know that the weight values are kinda arbitrary so some one's 20wt might be some one else's 15 wt.

I'd rather not replace the fork since this bike is probably only going to get used a handful of times.

Thanks for the advice.

This is cross posted in the Suspension forum.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've owned many manitou forks and I'm 230lbs...throwing 20wt oil in the dampener is not the solution. Stock oil in manitou forks is 5wt and usually the TPC dampener has enough adjustment range to compensate for the x-firm spring. But if it isn't, usually a minor increase in oil weight (7.5wt to 10wt) will be enough.

I personally have never tried anything more than 7.5wt in a Manitou TPC dampener, and it made a huge difference.

mtbr member
    dunno if you got the link to this page on the suspension forum....
    http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikesuspension.htm
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]