mtbr member
    Oct 2007

"thick" rider needs a bike

New to this site as of today. I am wanting to get back into my Army days weight. I am now about 295. I read the clydesdale thread but still need some advice. I ride an older Giant ALM1 with a Manitou fork. I want to be able to switch tires to slicks for riding w/ my kid on her hand cycle, but I would like to ride some trails at the local ski resort-something for all around riding. I am braking spokes on my current bike and until I get some weight off I need a bike that's a little beefier. I test rode a Kona Hoss and a Kona Dawg today. The Hoss had Marzzochi Dirt Jumper fork and the Dawg had a Rock Shox, can't remember the type. I loved the Hoss but the fork, though beefy, had a lot of give. Enjoyed the Dawg but a little pricey for me. Hoss-on sale for $719. Dawg-on sale for $1100 but components are a little cheaper. I didn't test the Cannondale Prophet 6 but it had a decent price at $1040. I do less more street/bike path riding than anything...HOSS the best bet? Also, when I tested the Dawg I could hear the spokes twanging...is that just cuz its loose and needs brake in or are they gonna break on me too? Any other bikes I need to try at my weight for my type of riding in this price class?
    Last edited by awightden; 10-04-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: wrong fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awightden
    New to this site as of today. I am wanting to get back into my Army days weight. I am now about 295. I read the clydesdale thread but still need some advice. I ride an older Giant ALM1 with a Manitou fork. I want to be able to switch tires to slicks for riding w/ my kid on her hand cycle, but I would like to ride some trails at the local ski resort-something for all around riding. I am braking spokes on my current bike and until I get some weight off I need a bike that's a little beefier. I test rode a Kona Hoss and a Kona Dawg today. The Hoss had Marzzochi Dirt Jumper fork and the Dawg had a Rock Shox, can't remember the type. I loved the Hoss but the fork, though beefy, had a lot of give. Enjoyed the Dawg but a little pricey for me. Hoss-on sale for $719. Dawg-on sale for $1100 but components are a little cheaper. I didn't test the Cannondale Prophet 6 but it had a decent price at $1040. I do less more street/bike path riding than anything...HOSS the best bet? Also, when I tested the Dawg I could hear the spokes twanging...is that just cuz its loose and needs brake in or are they gonna break on me too? Any other bikes I need to try at my weight for my type of riding in this price class?
    I weigh about 300 and currently ride an Ibex Atlas Pro, they are currently sold out so unfortunately you can't get one, the same bike in the mid range Expert is still available.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-EXP-Details.html

If you were interested in that bike though you should check with Manitou to see what they thought about your weight with a bike using a 2.5:1 leverage ratio on their Split RP shock. The one on the Pro is an ISX-4 and is an unbelievable performer for an air shock. Many air rear shocks will require too much air pressure for our weight and you don't want to make riding it at max pressure a habit, since it won't last for long. Both the Dawg and Prophet use air rear shocks so they may not be good for your weight.

Air forks are the way to go though, I just bought a dirt jump bike with a dirt jumper 3 fork. You will probably find that it is a little too heavy to use on an XC bike as they have in the Hoss. One of the downsides to these bikes is that they don't exactly use the beefiest crank/bottom bracket out there which is something us heavier riders demand.

Either way at this price point it is going to be a little tough to find something that will be the perfect bike, I personally love full suspension and wouldn't ride without it at this point.

The Hoss will be totally rideable, the fork may have been too soft because the air pressure was too low.

If you want to keep looking a few things to look for IMO are:

1. Air or Air/Coil Fork
    2. Freeride Crankset/Bottom Bracket
    3. Coil rear shock

Any bike you buy will get you started and if you later decide (or if the bike decides for you) that you need a Saint crank or DHX 5.0 coil you can always upgrade

You can always buy used, I'm sure you could get a hold of a very sweet used bike for the price you're looking at.