mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Tel me about stems for clydes

I am wanting to order a stem for a bike I am building up. weigh 240 and am about 6'1". I need the components to be tough. So far I think I have sold myself on the RF Atlas AM bars 31.8 and need a stem to go with it. However, I don't know what size (mm) a rider my size should choose. What seems to be the average?

bi-winning
    It's impossible to make a solid recommendation, as bike, and human geometry are so variable.

On a large XC bike, you will typically find a stem that is 110mm +/-10.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Way too many variables, what kind/style of bike, what size, how tall are you, what have you used before and been comfortable with etc. Personally on my XL bikes I run a 70mm, a 90 mm and a 100mm length, each depending on the model of bike and style of riding.
    Best option is to try and borrow different stems from a local shop and then buy one from them for the first one, buy a cheap one if you want and upgrade later.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    stems are trial and error... hopefuly you've got a few spacers on your steerer tube...

heres a neat little thing to show how you can get the same location of fit with various stem fits
    http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

and a bike fit calculator which will calculate "overal reach" and could give you a good starting point
    https://www.wrenchscience.com/Login....dM&stylecode=M

when you are figuring out the stem fit you also have to take into account the type of bar you use... if you are using a flat bar with a given stem then using a high sweep bar will be similar reach of a shorter stem with a flat bar, a very wide bar will stretch you out further being like a longer stem and flat bar...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Former Bike Wrench
    I like 31.8 and I stay away from the stupid (and excessively expensive) light stems. I think I paid about $10 for my current one (Easton EA50) on E-bay

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    good point about the super light weight stems... thats one of those places that you don't want malfunctioning... it's bad enough having a bolt loose and having your bar twist on you during a hard effort... same reason I won't run super light weight bars... or a carbon seatpost... some parts won't be so bad if they snap (not a fun idea but some things are more important then others)

but for starters i'd always go with the cheapest stem i could find anyway... when you find the right measurment then go spend a little more on a higher end one thats both strong and light weight if ya want
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    never had an issue, but that's b/c I got a Thomson.

Go get a bike fitting. They have the stem fitter thingy that you can use (most places do).

Allows you to vary the angle and length. Try it out in the parking lot and then get the proper sized/angled stem.

Clyde Stem = Thomson.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    Clyde Stem = Thomson.
    QFT
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    I would also look at Sunline stems also. I am 225 and have no problems with my Sunline V One stem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wight 95kg, I`m using thomson x stem 140mm with no problem so far. A year of abuse. I recomend thomson seatpost too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just picked up my Thomson Stem...Definitly visit your LBS and have them size it up. Before I ordered mine I took my bike down and put on a few different stems to try different sizes and angles. When you get into 80 dollar stems, you want to make sure you get the right size.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll throw a vote in for a Hope stem, assuming you find they make the length/angle that fits you. I'm the same general size (6', 240) and haven't had any issues with mine.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me