mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tallboy LTc vs. Niner Rip 9

I've narrowed down my search to these two bikes and wanted some input from guys my size. I'm 6'6" 240lbs and ride mostly trail, with some aggressive all mountain (Downieville) in the mix.

I'm looking for specific feedback from people who have ridden the new Rip 9 and the Tallboy LT. Climbing performance, descending performance, overall trail performance such as cornering and braking. I'm currently on a Stumpjumper Evo 29 and it just doesn't climb how I want. I was set on the Tallboy LT but started to think that not having a water bottle inside the front triangle might bother me. I use a ton of water in the summer time here so a water bottle to supplement my camelbak is a must. I realize it can take one under the downtube, but this is less convenient and reduces clearance.

I'm not interested in other bikes. I've done a ton of research and other bikes either won't fit, don't appeal to me, or there are no local dealers that sell them.

Thoughts? Thanks.

mtbr member
    you def need XXL frame in tallboy LTc, you may also go for regular tallboy XXL (only comes in carbon.

Do you like to sprint downhill or go superfast downhill? If not then you really dont need 135mm of rear travel and can do just fine with 100mm of rear travel of regular Tallboy XXL.

Regular tallboy XXL is lighter and has slightly longer top tube then XXL Ltc

Does other bike comes in XXL frame size or is their XL top tube length comparable to XXL tallboy?

see this spreadsheet for comparison:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There are enough trails around here where I bottom out my 135mm as is. My previous XC bike was downright scary. I firmly believe that I need 125-135+ in the rear. A lot of them I could get by with 100mm in the rear or even a hardtail, so I don't want MORE than 135-140, but any less and I'm outgunned on the rockier/steeper trails. Even with a Pike up front and massive tubeless tires I'm riding my Stumpy as close to the limit as I care to. Thanks for the spreadsheet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    There are enough trails around here where I bottom out my 135mm as is. My previous XC bike was downright scary. I firmly believe that I need 125-135+ in the rear. A lot of them I could get by with 100mm in the rear or even a hardtail, so I don't want MORE than 135-140, but any less and I'm outgunned on the rockier/steeper trails. Even with a Pike up front and massive tubeless tires I'm riding my Stumpy as close to the limit as I care to. Thanks for the spreadsheet!
    Let me know if you want to edit it to add more bikes, if you want to edit pm me your email and I give you editor rights

mtbr member
    Fit is so important, I would think that test riding would be even more crucial for a guy your size than for the average guy. No XXL for the Niner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Geo on the Stumpy in XL, Niner in XL, and Tallboy LT in XXL are about the same (stack/reach).

Has anyone ridden these two bikes or can compare VPP vs CVA for a heavier rider? I'm ~240lbs pre-gear.

mtbr member
    I would also steer clear of any frame with press-fit bottom bracket. My friend is a bike mechanic and he says there always people coming in the store with creaking BB. Being a clyde we are prone to destroy press fit bb plastic and other adapters much faster. So if you want a low maintenance , silent and trouble free ride pick a frame with threaded bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Both the Niner and Santa cruz have threaded BB's

JHH
    mtbr member
    I own a TBc.

I've rode a TBLTc for a week on my local trails. I found that adjusting the shock (SAG, air pressure, rebound) was pretty vital in getting the suspension to load and work the way I wanted it too for climbs. (Mandatory lockout as compared to my TB where I can leave it open unless I'm grinding) Once I got that sorted. I got used to the extra travel and how to work the load dynamics. The LT climbed pretty well. It's not as nimble as the TB but they are altogether different bikes with different geometries and my TB weighs about 3 lbs less than the TBLT I rode. At times I miss the travel of the TBLT.

I'm 50/50 climb/descent in nearly all my rides. So climbing is important to me. Have you considered the Ibis Ripley? Not as much travel as the bikes your looking at but a very agile climber and solid on the descents from what I've heard from people who have rode both.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The ripley is like 4cm shorter than the tbltc or I'd be all over it. Such a sexy bike. I'm just sure it won't fit me. Too much shorter to overcome with a longer stem

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm a 6'4 290# super clyde. I demoed at XL Tallboy LTc and a XL Niner Rip 9 last year. I will start by saying that the XL Tallboy was too small/cramped for me, the XL rip 9 felt perfect. With that being said. The tallboy did climb very well but the Rip 9 Climbed a little better ( different trails ). Both bikes felt good in the trails (east coast single track) on the down hills I like the tallboy just a little more over the Rip 9 ( splitting hairs).If money is not issue I would go with the XXL tallboy ltc. I know how much fun I had on one that was a little too small...... I was all but ready to pull the trigger on a XL 2 star Rip9 knowing that I would need at XXL Tallboy LTc and carbon was not in the budget. But for some reason My local Niner dealer did not feel like emailing me back. So for shits and giggles I emailed my Local Santa Cruz dealer, explained my budget and he got back to me right away. Long story short, My 2015 XXL Tallboy LTc w/150 mm Pike Rct 3 will be shipped out next week. Not sure if that helps or not. Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That does help, thanks. I'm reading that the Tallboy is a little better up/down, but the Rip9 corners better and is a little easier to toss around. Up/down is more important to me so I'm leaning towards the TB LTc. Just wish it had a water bottle inside the front triangle.

mtbr member
    That does help, thanks. I'm reading that the Tallboy is a little better up/down, but the Rip9 corners better and is a little easier to toss around. Up/down is more important to me so I'm leaning towards the TB LTc. Just wish it had a water bottle inside the front triangle.
    Come on, water bottle will fly away on the first real descent, besides, even on average ride you need total of like 3 or 4 water bottles, which means you still need 3 liter Camelback HAWG or Osprey Manta 36..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Tallboy LTc vs. Niner Rip 9

Yeah ... Have to agree on the water bottle. Tried it one ride , picked it up 3 times. Last time I ever had a bottle cage on any of my bikes. camel bak MULE doesn't fall off. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've never lost a bottle in a mount inside the front triangle but I imagine it can happen if mounted under the downtube... I have a 100oz camelbak that I drain along with a 25oz bottle during summer. My loops allow for me to park my car in the middle though so I could easily leave water in the car and refill or put my bottle in my camelbak storage compartment. It's still a pain compared to my current option, but might be worth it to get the bike I want.

mbtr member
    I haven't ridden either of those bikes, but the king cage iris and a water bottle like this one-
    Name:  gub-1000ml-pe-bicycle-water-bottle-sports-water-bottle_5.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  7.9 KB
    work very nicely together. You get some downtube protection and no cow-turds in your drink. I've had downtube water bottle cages in the past and they don't get bashed even if you abuse your cranks; they're fine. That specific cage has proven to be very very reliable as far as retaining water bottles goes, and the steel cages let me tweak them a bit to suit my occasionally goofy bottles and don't crack after a few seasons.

JHH
    mtbr member
    I don;t ride with a hydro pak much anymore. I found the same issues on the TBLT and was happy that the clearance never became a problem. But grabbing water while moving was more challenging and of course the bottle gets a good dousing of dirt, dust , mud.

I bought a Platypus 1L water bag and stuffed it into my jersey on longer rides. I drink that down first.

Frankly I wouldn't let the bottle cage issue be the deciding factor. there are plenty of workarounds. Hydropaks are no bueno on your back.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JHH View Post
    I don;t ride with a hydro pak much anymore. I found the same issues on the TBLT and was happy that the clearance never became a problem. But grabbing water while moving was more challenging and of course the bottle gets a good dousing of dirt, dust , mud.

I bought a Platypus 1L water bag and stuffed it into my jersey on longer rides. I drink that down first.

Frankly I wouldn't let the bottle cage issue be the deciding factor. there are plenty of workarounds. Hydropaks are no bueno on your back.
    My camelbak is 100oz and I'll finish that on a longer ride even during winter. During summer I'll drain that, and the 25oz bottle, and still be empty on the last 5 miles of a 25 mile ride and I only ride in the morning when it's <80 degrees that time of year.