mtbr member

tall winter bike pant recommendation

Looking for something in a 37" or 38" inseam that's appropriate for winter biking. Don't really want lycra but don't want them baggy either. Ideally they would be synthetic, close fitting (but not skin tight), and of course LONG.

Thanks folks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 6'8 and bought a pair of tall Arc'teryx pants a couple years ago and they've been great. They're a little loose, but not baggy and have zippers at the ankle to keep them tight and away from the chainring. Not completely waterproof, but pretty close.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

I swear there's an untapped market out there for cool outdoor clothes for us tall guys...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've also bought a few tall jerseys from www.aerotechdesigns.com. They're well made and fit well, but kind of plain looking. They also have some pants, but I've never tried them. I'm about to buy some of their bib shorts.

Underskilled
    Arc'teryx are not cheap, but they are worth the investment.

They make excellent equipment, kind of like what North Face used to, before becoming a fashion label.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

turtles make me hot
    I have a 35-36" inseam and have Aerotech Designs fleece lined bibtights. They were cheap and awesome.
    I like turtles

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul
    I've also bought a few tall jerseys from www.aerotechdesigns.com. They're well made and fit well, but kind of plain looking. They also have some pants, but I've never tried them. I'm about to buy some of their bib shorts.
    I have a pair of the tall pants.....they are wonderful.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Another Option for Long Pants: Sugoi

Hey y'all

6'6" and 230 here with a 36" inseam. A long/lean body type. Usually wear size large tops and long large or x-large shorts/pants/tights. Bike specific stuff generally is an XL for me, other stuff generally fits in large.

I found this thread last week when in the market for some new winter riding/running pants. I don't ride in the winter, too much snow, but do snow shoe.

None of the pants mentioned above are available around me, but by checking here and checking online I found the ones mentioned. They all looked good. I also really liked the looks of the Craft Storm Pants, rumored to be long too.

Before ordering online, and taking another chance (my last attempt inline was an abysmal failure; long thermal pants from the running room are definitely NOT long!) I went to our local running store to see what they had.

I found the craft pants. In XL, definitely not long enough and tighter than I wanted. For some a bit shorter/smaller, they would fit. Were SUPER comfy and I can see eh would be AWESOME for winter activity.

I tried the RPM Thermal Pant from Sugoi however, and they were FREAKING PERFECT. Long legs on these. In XL they were just perfectly loose. Not too tight, not too baggy. No sagging crotch. I have literally never had winter training pants fit like this my entire adult life.

I like them, can you tell?

Not as heavy as the Crafts, but with a pair of tights underneath, they will be perfect down to -25C, I'm sure.

Just thought I'd share. If you have long legs, these should do you just fine!

Cheers

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    6'8" with a 36 inseam. I've been wearing Olympia Recon motorcycle pants with a pair lycra tights underneath. They're made of ballistic nylon with pads in the hips and knees. The legs zip off at the knees and they also zip at the ankles. I generally just wear them as shorts, because it has yet to get really cold here in philly. with Neoprene knee braces on as well, I'm plenty warm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Lou at Foxwear | Custom Sized Sports Outerwear | Made in Salmon, ID will make you custom fit clothes for very reasonable prices. I had him make me some custom pants last winter and the quality is nothing short of impressive. For you fellas needing hard to find sizes, give Lou a call.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just bought a pair of PI Barrier wxb pants in xxl and they are meant for very tall people ( im 6'2" and they come up past my belly button), but I don't know if an xxl would be too large in your waiste.

I use them as a windbreaker, and they seam to be very nice pants, but I have only had them for one ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For my winter riding i wear under armor cold gear under my Hoss biking shorts.

undercover brother
    Any good climbing/hiking pant with a cinch system at the ankle works well. I use a pair of Outdoor Research pants. They're slimer, with a lot of stretch and cinch at the ankle so they don't snag. I also ride SS, so I don't really run into the chainring snag that often anyways.