mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tall riders vs. BB height ?

Currently on an AM bike that has a 14.5" BB height - I am 6'4" running 180mm cranks. I came off a frame that had a 13.75" BB height and thought the 14.5" height was a no no according to modern thought , lower center of gravity etc. Anyways I have less to none pedal strikes and a little more leg lift over the seat all seems ok. Any thought on tall BB heights for taller riders ? Thanks.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Currently on an AM bike that has a 14.5" BB height - I am 6'4" running 180mm cranks. I came off a frame that had a 13.75" BB height and thought the 14.5" height was a no no according to modern thought , lower center of gravity etc. Anyways I have less to none pedal strikes and a little more leg lift over the seat all seems ok. Any thought on tall BB heights for taller riders ? Thanks.
    I went the opposite way. I had a bike with a 15"+ BB and 175 cranks. New bike had 14.5" and 180 cranks. I'm always hitting my pedals. I miss the higher BB. The lower BB is much more stable though,I also like the easier climb on height.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.