Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

tall riders/ 180mm cranks?

How many tall (6'2"+) are using 180mm cranks? I've been running 180mm for the extra leverage but others are trying to convince me that 175's will lessen the pedal strikes, etc.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    How many tall (6'2"+) are using 180mm cranks? I've been running 180mm for the extra leverage but others are trying to convince me that 175's will lessen the pedal strikes, etc.
    6'3"+ w/ 180mm on mtn and road. I can't imagine going back to 175mm on mtn. Road is another matter. More important for gearing to match the rides I guess w/ the longer cranks.

Yes. Pedal strikes increase. My airborne adventures have been more numerous on 180mm. Leverage? Imagine the crank being a long lever... you are at speed.. pedal slams on rock coming around... UFO!

mtbr member
    6'4". I've ran 180mm and 175mm cranks. i can't tell the difference in leverage or # of pedal strikes. If I were in the market for new cranks I'd try to find some 180s. but if I couldn't i'd go 175 no issue.

Laker and a Trail Blazer
    I have 180mm and want 175mm. I've started riding more aggressive and pedaling DH on rocky stuff so pedal strikes is an issue. Not sure 175mm will make a huge difference but willing to try. 6'4"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would really be beside myself if you could, blindfolded, on the same exact bike, tell the difference between 175 and 180mm.

mtbr member
    6'2" 175's. Don't want the extra pedal/crank strikes.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have 175's on my FS and 180's on my HT.....hard to tell any difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    6'8" and 200mm mtn and 205mm road. Once you go long you never go back.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Long and thin goes further in, but short and fat is where it's at!

Oh wait, wrong crank type

I would probably benefit a little from longer crank arms, and have briefly tried them, but couldn't immediately perceive any real benefit. However, I have no desire to go out of my way to purchase a set (usually at a premium) only to increase the likliehood the pedal strikes with little benefit. Pedal strikes suck bad enough when climbing, but pedal strikes at high speed REALLY SUCK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    180 on one road bike, 210's on the other.

175 on the MTB.

Definitely notice the difference going to/from the 210's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeve View Post
    I really need to hit you up about trying those monster cranks the next time I'm up on that side of town.

I've got 180s on everything now and love them. My knees get upset on demo bikes with 175mm cranks and I love the slightly lower center of gravity the longer cranks allow.

If your bike has a tall enough bottom bracket to minimize pedal strikes with 180mm cranks, do it! Power output might not change but comfort cannot be measured as a performance metric.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What size cranks come on an XL bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    What size cranks come on an XL bike?
    I've never seen a bike come from the factory with more than 175mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    6'3". Recently switched from 170mm to 180mm. Definately more pedal strikes but I love the extra leverage. I won't be going back

Craig Mac

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ran 175's for 10 years before I made the switch to 180's. Definitely noticeable imo. I built a light duty commuter /mtn bike and thought 175's would work as they were cheaper and more common. I found it took more effort to climb steep hills. As far as pedal strikes most mtn bikes are designed w/ such low BB heights they pedal strike w/most crank sizes.

turtles make me hot
    I swapped to 180's from 175 on an XL Stumpjumper. I'm 6'4". They definitely feel better to me.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Curly, I guess maybe I got a few more strikes early on... I used to ride with CB Mallets. I switched to Eggbeaters and worked on my technique a little. Not so many strikes any more.
    I like turtles

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

May I ask what cranks you are using, were they custom made?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 6'05" and when I had a custom road frame built several years ago, I was talked into going with an uber expensive TA 180mm crank. I could not get used to it and eventually went back to a 175mm. I was surprised I noticed a difference but I sure did. I think if you push the pedals more as most people do on a MTB, the extra leverage would be good. If you spin more, as you should on a road bike, the difference is more pronounced due to the bigger circles you are making. I have always had week hip flexers and speculating the longer arms made me feel weaker on the return/up stroke.

From reading the other posts it appears most taller riders like the longer arms so I stand alone here. I hated to take off the TA Crank since it was easy on the eyes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'll speak up for the custom length crank options.

Zinn has a couple options - his Zinntegrated cranks or old school 3 piece. Additionally he's managed to source some cranks likely from his supplier for the KHS bike. My impression: His cranks are the reference standard. Beefy and well done. Down side? Price - like $700.

High Sierra Cycle also has them. Looks like they made Zinn's 3 piece for Zinn, so those are a little cheaper. I'd avoid their "new" integrated design like the plague. Their detachable spider has been nothing but headaches for me.

LAXPatrick

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, the trend toward lower BBs has pretty much ruled out anything longer than 175 for me - most of where I ride, there would be a dead spot around BDC that you just couldn't pedal most of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run 180's on my Cannondale Prophet - yes had more strikes but learned to be a little more aware - the longer cranks really helped my knees and power..
    When I upgraded to 650b's that raised the frame just enough to remove any issues (I love the 650b's all around)... I would never go back to 175's, 180's a big difference for me. 6'4" age 56..

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    That is double good...

...180mm cranks and upgraded to 650B

Ultimated Outsider
    I been riding with 180 for over 25 years. I few years ago I try 177.5 cranks to try and minimize pedal strike and could not get used to them,and 175 were worst. Had to put my 180 back on.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do 200's really help that much? with real long legs you spin bigger circles and in theory which is probably fact it should allow a long femur bone to apply more torque driving straight downward rather than having your knee bent pushing down at more of a angle with shorter cranks rather than straight down with cranks that match the length of your femur?.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast