mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Tall Rider Needs Help!

Hi All - used this forum in the mid '90's to buy my Raleigh M800, but took the bike in last week to my LBS for a tuneup and apparently the steering head tube (?) is fatally cracked. Therefore, I am in the market for a new bike. Searched this forum extensively but can't gleen anything definite, so I will post. A bit about me...I an 6' 6" and about 220 lbs. Inseam 34" - 35"....so most of my height is in my legs. Arm length about 36" (that is the size of the shirts I buy, anyway). I intend to use the bike for pavement, fire roads, and mild two-track. I'm too old to kill myself like I did on my Raleigh ten years ago! Kind of wanted to keep to the component set I had on the Raleigh (Deore LX level), want to stay around the neighborhood of a grandish ($1,000 area), so custom frames are out.

Anyway (if you're still with me!)...from what I've seen here, my choices are down to the Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disk 23" and the Kona Hoss Deluxe 21". My concern about the Kona is that it is more of a heavy guys bike, rather than a tall guys bike. Don't get me wrong, I'd still like the durability provided it fit someone of my specs.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Dave
    Bikeless
    Houston, TX

T
    Just something to consider....you could look at either a 24" Trek 4500 or 24" Giant Yukon and possibly upgrade the components. I am 6' 8" and currently ride the Trek. Both of these bikes are under $600.

Tyson
    Also in Houston

I railed it like Kong
    Look around for 29ers. I'm 6'2 and though not as tall as you, feel much more comfortable on a larger wheeled bike. Especially where you are talking about riding a 29er would be a phenominal upgrade to the old Raliegh. Jamis makes a couple under 1000, Haro makes one, Kona makes one. Try one out before you buy something.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks guys - been scoping the 29er forum also.....the only one I've seen in person is the Haro Mary XC in ChroMoly and at $1,500....I got the impression from reading the forums that the 29ers were pretty pricey because the were fairly new. Liked the Cannondale Caffeine, but seems like Cannondale is too small.

Dave

President, CEO of Earth
    Make sure before you buy that you can get proper leg extension and not have the seatpost out past it's maximum (preferably in past the line by a couple inches).

Also make sure the handlebars aren't too much lower then the saddle, unless you like it like that.

Also, in my opinion, at 220 lbs, while not a giant, you certainly at the upper edge of the type of person companies are expecting to buy bikes and put on some serious milage. I have no personal experience with the Kona, but I on paper the bikes look to be very smartly designed, and maybe to be a bike that you keep riding for years, if you don't go crazy.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, on my old Raleigh, I had installed downhiller bars (if that's what they are still called) to increase the rise relative to the seat.

Dave

I Ride for Donuts
    I'm 6'2" or 6'3" and I ride a 2004 Kona Dawg in their 'XL' size. I believe that's more like 20" instead of 21". I have an inseam of 34" and a fairly long torso. I absolutely love this bike. I added a longer stem...not sure the exact mm measurement, I pulled it off an old bike. But with the long stem this bike fits me well. I'd totally recommend riding a Kona or two, but whatever you wind up with, a stem change can make a world of difference.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

legs

OP your legs are short for your height. I'm 6 5 and my pants are 36, but my actual inseam is nearer 38 " You will be able to fit most 21 inch frames if your legs are as short as you think. My frame is 22 inches to the top and I am still running a ton of post. Have an uncut steerer on the beast and a 150 stem. Steers like a truck and fits OK just barely. If you're 6 6 make sure you find a frame with a long enough head tube and top tube. I'd sat 24.5 min for the latter and 6 or 7 inches for the former. Many many frames are way too low in the front for us giants.

Drew

just along for the ride
    I'm 6' 4 riding at 215# with the pack, shop for a used freeride frame my rig is under $1000 all used but the discounted frame but now its all abused.. god bless stem risers on 19 inch frames, oversized downtubes and craigslist.org
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the replys all - what do you think of the Karate Monkey frame? May have an opportunity to get one built up. Also looking at Gary Fisher Cobia or xcal if I can find one in 21"....looks like i'm leaning to a 29er now.

Dave