• 11-14-2012
    trek1969
    I applaud all the above. 6'7" and I know what you all are going through.
  • 11-14-2012
    rossluzz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post

Why does everyone think they need to say "you're tall!". Do you think he wasn't aware of that before you pointed it out?

"Do you play basketball?".

You don't hear people saying, "Wow you're so short! Are you a horse jockey?"
  • 11-14-2012
    digthemlows
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post

I saw a Tall guy wearing a shirt that said "No I don't play basketball, do you play table tennis"
  • 11-15-2012
    Arebee
    I laughed like Hell because I got the "Boy you're tall!" when I walked in the Bike shop to buy my current bike.

My Dad was 5'10 and my Mom is 5' even. People look at my three 5' 10' brothers and ask me where I got my height. I always say "Our mailman was tall."
  • 11-15-2012
    Surfdog93
    6'8" here, but you know it comes down to attitude.
    If someone acknowledges your height, you can take it as a positive or negative......it's all in your head

Back to sports....for me in windsurfing (25+ years), height was always a non-factor. Now in mountain biking it's a little different ....not as many "cool" XXL bikes to choose from. That said, I absolutely love my Carbon Superfly and really am comfortable (and competitive) on it
  • 11-15-2012
    rossluzz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    ....not as many "cool" XXL bikes to choose from.

Santa Cruz has a XXL carbon Tallboy frame for sale right now at $1500, tempting but not sure if it would be a bit too big for me at 6'4".
  • 11-15-2012
    PixieChik
    Quote:

Exactly. I do agree with Surfdog, attitude matters. We embrace our tall-ness. Someone asked me why I was wearing high heels today.."aren't you tall enough?". I just shot her my million dollar smile and said "I cant hide it, I might as well run with it!". It took me a lot of years to come to that place.

I notice that my son gets a lot of female attention, based at least in part on his height. Girls love to snuggle him.
  • 11-15-2012
    fishrising
    I just tell everyone I'm 5 - 19. You'd be surprised how many people don't get it for a while.

And a con: can't hear squat talking to friends in a bar because my ears are higher than their heads, so my ears usually have unobstructed sound waves hitting them from the loudspeakers.
  • 11-16-2012
    RidingMyTrail
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    Why does everyone think they need to say "you're tall!". Do you think he wasn't aware of that before you pointed it out?

Quote:

As far as comments go, tall is to short as beautiful is to ugly.

People tell someone they are beautiful but don't tell someone else they are ugly.

Being tall is considered a positive attribute. I've never been uncomfortable being told I'm tall or a Jolly Green. I laugh and appreciate the awe of the Lilliputians. :p
  • 11-16-2012
    nemebean
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    I just tell everyone I'm 5 - 19. You'd be surprised how many people don't get it for a while.

I might have to try that one sometime. :)

Quote:

And a con: can't hear squat talking to friends in a bar because my ears are higher than their heads, so my ears usually have unobstructed sound waves hitting them from the loudspeakers.
    I wonder if that's why I don't like loud bars. It would explain a lot.
  • 11-16-2012
    fishrising
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    I might have to try that one sometime. :)

Usually goes like this:

RANDOM PERSON: Wow, you are really tall.

ME: Not really, I'm only 5 -19.

RANDOM PERSON: <<silent awkwardness>>

ME: Well, have a nice day.
  • 11-19-2012
    benevis66
    That Moore's ad was too true

Life must be so much easier in the States though.I can't get shoes (sz 17) or clothes or a bike either here in Greece...although, apart from coming within an inch of my life due to a bus mirror nearly knocking my head off and not being able to fit into a bumper car anymore:), i love being big...6'7 255...as mentioned before i love this forum!

Also if all the 1%ers of the world got together they would easily kick all the 99%ers a@*
    Ben.
  • 11-22-2012
    BareNecessities
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkaemingk View Post
    I hit my head on everything. Especially chandeliers.

6' 7" I feel your pain.

Or at least I used to, before I lost all the feeling in the top of my head :D

Door frames are my nemesis.
  • 11-22-2012
    BareNecessities
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Door frames are my nemesis.

Hmmm? I think I may have just found my quote:idea:
  • 11-22-2012
    SkiNBike
    Haha. That's a good one.
  • 11-25-2012
    TooTallUK
    "Wow - you're tall!"

"No - I'm normal. You're short"
  • 12-11-2012
    76gator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HelmutHerr View Post
    Pro:
    - Women like height
    - Men respect height
    - Good view at concerts
    - Top shelves actually usable

Con:
    - Entire built environment is too small
    - Clothes don't fit
    - People make assumptions about you
    - Old age won't be much fun

It's a bit bratty to complain about being tall, but when people say, "oh, it must be so nice!", I sometimes fantasise about building a theme park of normal stuff that's a third smaller than usual, so everyone else can feel tall for a day.

:thumbsup: LMAO funny stuff
  • 12-11-2012
    Yogii
    Quote:

Old age won't be much fun
    With a higher morbidity rate, less to worry about in old age...
  • 12-11-2012
    digthemlows
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    With a higher morbidity rate, less to worry about in old age...

ouch............:)
  • 12-12-2012
    michaeljw
    6'8" and British (where on the upper deck of buses the roof height is around shoulder height). All the doorways in my home are 2m so I dip automatically as I move from room to room.
    Bike choice definitely a problem - I'm currently saving for a Surly Ogre.

On the morbidity subject, I read of an alternative view that bigger animals work slower (including the heart) so last a bit longer, just like a mouse only lives a year or so. Could be complete rubbish but my glass is half full.
    Mick
  • 12-12-2012
    michaeljw
    p.s. enjoy the scary movie:
    Blog | Surly Bikes

Mick
  • 12-13-2012
    visser
    I'm only 6'5, but with proportionally long legs.

And my height has taken it's toll. Office desks. Chairs. Kitchen counters. Everything is too short.
    Also back surgery at the age of 26 years old is no fun either.

Can't ride a 21" bike; needs to be a 21.5" with a Thompson post (that extra 10mm makes it) or a 22" or larger.
    Really sucks that bike companies won't just increase the seat tube on some of these bikes. Honestly; how many guys riding 21" bikes do you see that have their seat slammed with no post sticking out? Why not just leave the geometry and sizing the same but just make the seat tube 1-2" taller? They can even call it / label it a 21" bike for all I care.
    I had that conversation with Niner; they didn't get it.

On a practical note - anyone aware of long seatposts? If I can find a 450mm seatpost, it will suddenly open up a whole new realm of bikes.
  • 12-13-2012
    visser
    I'm only 6'5, but with proportionally long legs.

And my height has taken it's toll. Office desks. Chairs. Kitchen counters. Everything is too short.
    Also back surgery at the age of 26 years old is no fun either.

Can't ride a 21" bike; needs to be a 21.5" with a Thompson post (that extra 10mm makes it) or a 22" or larger.
    Really sucks that bike companies won't just increase the seat tube on some of these bikes. Honestly; how many guys riding 21" bikes do you see that have their seat slammed with no post sticking out? Why not just leave the geometry and sizing the same but just make the seat tube 1-2" taller? They can even call it / label it a 21" bike for all I care.
    I had that conversation with Niner; they didn't get it.

On a practical note - anyone aware of long seatposts? If I can find a 450mm seatpost, it will suddenly open up a whole new realm of bikes.
  • 01-03-2013
    Pollution Warrior
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nemebean View Post
    I have a deeply ingrained hatred of public transportation as a result of being tall (and public transportation being designed to cram as many of the 99%ers into as small a space as possible). ;)

Double-decker buses in China have roughly 6 foot ceilings and trvel on rough roads. I'm 6"2". No fun when you can't get a seat.
  • 01-04-2013
    76gator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by visser View Post

The problem with fitting into a short cockpit is the bike still doesn't fit just because you can bottom out the pedal stroke. The angles and leverage will still mean we have more strain on our knees and can't really get the power out of the pedal stroke. Longer cranks help but then the bottom out factor on rocks roots... comes into play...

Just like with some clothes companies, if a bike company would just charge a little more (if need be) and build at least one model to fit the 1% it would be great. Even if you had to order it and wait but still treat it as a production model so your not building a 'custom' bike and paying 'custom' prices.

I have a custom road bike and when my PARKPRE was stolen I was really aggrevated because it came really close to fitting well. And without the $$$ for a custom bike virtually everything since has been a serious compromise.:madman: