mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Tall guys on Specialized

I am 6' 5", 198 lbs. and replacing a broken Yeti 575. I was at a LBS and they have an Epic Carbon in an XL. I have done a couple of parking lot rides on the Tallboy XXL, felt too big also rode the SB 95. I am currently on a loaner Niner SIR - single speed, fun but not for me.

Concerned that XL will be a bit small or perhaps a bit dainty for a big rider.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    im 6'3 on the xl and it feels good.. it actually feels slightly too big, I would be ok with it being a tad smaller, but the L was too small. id say the xl would be just fine. in your height and weight, you want the smallest frame that would properly fit you, so u can still be nimble and fast on the bike.
    Rockhopper 29er

-FSA Carbon handlebars, stem, & seatpost
    -2011 Rockshox Reba
    -Stan's Flow Wheelset
    -Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by serranoguy View Post
    I am 6' 5", 198 lbs. and replacing a broken Yeti 575. I was at a LBS and they have an Epic Carbon in an XL. I have done a couple of parking lot rides on the Tallboy XXL, felt too big also rode the SB 95. I am currently on a loaner Niner SIR - single speed, fun but not for me.

Thoughts?
    Can you get the shop to fit you up properly?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    6'4" on a newer XL Camber... it feel ever slightly big to me, so I would think you would be perfectly fine. I put a shorter (90mm) stem on mine and it feels perfect now.

SC's website doesn't list the geometry for an XXL frame, but their XL frame has a slightly shorter just about everything over the Epic XL, so their XXL might be closer to the Specialized XL measurements. I can't be sure, but the Spec XL should fall right between SC's Xl and XXL.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    6'2 on Large, and I would not have an XL. My inseam is 32". I like a bike slightly on the smaller side. Slightly only.

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'4 3/4", 260 pounds, 34"inseam. I'm riding an XL Stumpjumper FSR.
    My bike is an '09. I made some changes to mine to make it more comfortable for me... Slightly shorter stem, wider riser bars and 180mm cranks. Oh yeah, I built up some quality wheels to stand up to my clydeness. I've weighed as much as 288 and the bike holds up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by serranoguy View Post
    I'm 6'2" and ride a Large size 2012 Stumpy FSR. It's as big as I would want to go. I imagine an XL would fit you. It's definitely not going to be too small.