Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010

Tall guys.....Ibis Ripley LS or Camber EVO?

6'4" 220 kitted up. 37" inseam and knuckle dragger arms. I have been looking closely at a new Ibis Ripley LS or a 2015 Specialized Camber EVO. Both would ideally and eventually have a 130 fork on it. Just wondering if anyone has any time on either of these. I have found reviews/threads that extoll both as awesome bikes, and I believe they both are. Haven't had a chance to demo either, but have had Specialized in the past and liked them and had an older Blur and didn't like it, not sure if that was attributed to the DW suspension. I know the older bikes are in a different era. The stack is higher on the Ripley and the reach longer on the Camber. FWIW I have a burly 31# 160mm bike for my everyday ride. Trying to justify the N+1 equation. Any input from the taller crowd or anyone else is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm 6'7" & 260 lbs on an Ibis Ripley & LOVE it. I rode the Ripley LS last week & love that too. Also, Ibis is an awesome company. Do it.

-PittsburghRic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    That seems to be a resounding theme that Ibis is great to deal with, not so much for Specialized.....for a full carbon frame, a good warranty is good piece of mind....

_____
    Jul 2007
    I love ibis and have been on an HD for the last 5 years, but they are too small for me at 6'5 with a 36" inseam. I've demoed the ripley LS and it's not much bigger than my HD. After two years of looking I finally setteled on the Santa Cruz Hightower. Of course soon after I ordered it Santa Cruz announced their new tallboy in XXL with a reach of 505cm compared to the ripley xl at 448 cm. I'd buy a ripley if I was 6'2 though.

mtbr member
    6'2" with long legs and arms. I bought the XL Ripley LS last fall and love the bike.
    I am always surprised at how nimble it feels and how well it climbs.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    6'4" and I just ordered an Ibis Ripley LS. If you can shed the notion that you have to run a 50mm stem or else your bike is out of style, then I believe the Ripley LS is a great option. I'm building mine with an 80mm stem but I think I could have gone with 70mm. But the 80mm stem will give me approximately the same reach as my S-Works Enduro 29 with a 65mm stem. "Tall Tom" over at Ibis, who is 6'5", says he runs a 90mm stem on his LS.

RC at pinkbike, originally from MB Action, had an interesting quote where he said he didn't care how long or short the stem was as long as the bike worked. While the XXL Tallboy 3.0 looks cool on paper, Santa Cruz does not scale their frames like Norco. So you end up with this really long front center and really stubby chain stays... that are the same size as the small frames. Not saying the bikes don't still work well, but interestingly enough, Santa Cruz scaled the geometry when they developed their pro level XXL V-10 DH bike (though it's not available to the public). As the front center of the bike grew, so did the chain stays... intentionally.

So what's the point? I guess I"m just trying to tell myself that the Ripley LS is long enough for me and am putting my logic down on paper... or in the forum. I'll have it built in about a month (lots of stuff on order) and will put out a full review w/pics. FWIW, the Ripley LS is replacing an XL Jet 9 RDO with an identical reach measurement (449) and I'm running a 70mm stem on that.

mtbr member
    My opinion: buying a new bike in 2016, if you need to run a 90mm stem, the frame is too small. I see why Tall Tom runs one that long - Ibis doesn't make a bike that fits him.

Worth noting: OP, your Blur did not have DW suspension. VPP is very different. For as popular as they are, I've never been all that impressed with any Santa Cruz bikes I've demoed (old Tallboy, current Nomad and V10). Suspension is something Ibis does right, my opinion much better than Santa Cruz. SC does offer the big sizes though.

I'll never own or recommend a Specialized, and I won't even go to their web site to see geometry numbers.

I'm riding a Canfield Riot now. If you aren't hung up on carbon, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not looking at this bike. It has an inch more reach than the Ibis, the head angle is slacker, chainstays shorter, and it's $800 cheaper. The only thing the Ibis has on it is the capability to run a front derailleur, but who cares about that these days?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    6'4" 220 kitted up. 37" inseam and knuckle dragger arms. I have been looking closely at a new Ibis Ripley LS or a 2015 Specialized Camber EVO. Both would ideally and eventually have a 130 fork on it. Just wondering if anyone has any time on either of these. I have found reviews/threads that extoll both as awesome bikes, and I believe they both are. Haven't had a chance to demo either, but have had Specialized in the past and liked them and had an older Blur and didn't like it, not sure if that was attributed to the DW suspension. I know the older bikes are in a different era. The stack is higher on the Ripley and the reach longer on the Camber. FWIW I have a burly 31# 160mm bike for my everyday ride. Trying to justify the N+1 equation. Any input from the taller crowd or anyone else is much appreciated.
    6'4" with 36 inch inseam, and I spent time on the Ripley LS size XL (one week rental in Utah this March where i got in about 150 miles off road). Yes, it will fit you.

I enjoyed the bike a lot, but will say - even when properly set up - it is the bike with the most pedal strikes I have ever ridden in the 29"er wheel size.

The bike was amazing on the slickrock on the mesa trails (Gooseberry, Guacamole, Little Creek Mesa). That's the type of terrain where I felt the Ripley LS really shined - going up and down the ledges because the bike just ate it up. I was less impressed on the dirt and buff dirt of Utah compared to other bikes I ride and have ridden.

I liked it so much I did consider a purchase, but the pedal strikes ended up being the deal breaker for me.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    My opinion: buying a new bike in 2016, if you need to run a 90mm stem, the frame is too small.
    When one is in the 6"4" and taller category with long arms, getting the seat back far enough for fit is or can be problematic. Once that is settled, a short stem is going to require one goes really wide with the bars which may or may not be shoulder friendly depending on a tall man's physical make up. For guys that are tall and lanky, that can put a lot of strain on the shoulders to be running 760mm and wider bars. So running longer stems has remained a solution to address the cockpit and not have to go so super wide with the bars. Tight and twisty tree lined trails in some areas of the country have many tight spots where the width between trees is less than 760mm - so again, it might not be the solution for all to say "if you need to run a 90mm stem the frame is too small".

BB (color me at using 120mm stems on many of my size XL 29"er bikes, but I do use 70mm with wide bars on two bikes)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    When one is in the 6"4" and taller category with long arms, getting the seat back far enough for fit is or can be problematic.
    you say that like I'm not in that size category or don't live in a part of the world where bar width conflicts with tree spacing. I don't know what you're basing that on, but it's incorrect. I stand by the statement;you're bikes that need 120mm stems are too small by today's standards and don't handle nearly as well as they would if they fit.

A lot of bikes don't come in a size to fit tall people. The Ripley is an example - 450mm reach is too short for someone 6'4 with long arms. I'd need a 80-90mm stem to get the bar where I'd need it, but it would handle like crap with a stem that long; I remember in the 80s and 90s when that was normal, and there's no way I'd go back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm almost 6.5" (195 cm) and very happy with my slightly modified Camber EVO XL, because Specialized has a nice stack height for tall riders.
    It has a 3T bar/stem combo with a 10° 55mm stem and a 30 mm riser bar, the reverb is a 125 mm. The fork is a fox 32 130 mm. I the saddle is about 3-4 cm higher then the bars.
    Tall guys.....Ibis Ripley LS or Camber EVO?-img_1615.jpg