mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Tall Bar Question

I want to run a direct mount stem but i am 6'4" so i want some tall bars to make up the difference. Anyone know of any companys that make a taller bar than normal. I have searched and can't find one.

just along for the ride
    This works for me

19" frame 6' 4".... got to adapt and fly
    Attached Images Attached Images

mbtr member
    ns bikes makes the jalepeno/habernero 70mm rise, Truvativ makes 50mm rise holzfellers, Spank makes the ***** stick and spike in 50mm, azonic makes the b52 and some others in 60mm.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

long standing member
    I was using a no name steel bar that I pickec up at the local bike shop up until yesterday. Four inch rise and 27" wide, and it was just about perfect until it bent in my hands during a particularly vigorous hillclimb. I'm not sure what I'm going to replace it with because I haven't seen anything in the standard MTB marketplace with those dimensions.

The best option (if money was no object) seems like a custom bar from someone like Thick Bikes.

29 some of the time...
    ^^^What??^^^

re bars, they can only do so much. Most dh bars are in the 1.5-2.5 rise. Some huck bars like pc posted post up at 3-4in. bmx bars come in 4-7in rises, but few are over 26in wide and you would have to shim the stem. Better off ditching the direct and getting a more fitting stem.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    along with the riser bar you can play with the stem... both height on the steerer tube and it's rise... i've got a retarded looking 30* riser stem but it puts the bars up where I need em...

sorry don't know of any bars off hand over 3" rise (i belive it's padre in the 29er forum that uses those)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I'm 6'4" and run DMR Wingbars
    WBARBLK.jpg

Not quite a 3-inch rise but I like them. In the end I did go for a longer stem to get the fit I was after...

Tom P.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank
    I'm 6'4" and run DMR Wingbars.
    I spotted those in my searching but it seems like they only come with a 22.2mm clamp diameter. I've got an oversized, high-rise stem that I like and I wouldn't want to have to use two shims to install this bar. If only it came in MTB sizing. Plus, I couldn't find it in stock anywhere (even BTI doesn't have it in stock).

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Yup, DMR = 22.2mm diameter. I ran a BMX stem initially, but you can't find them longer than 65mm reach. The Wingbars come with a set of shims for 25.5mm stems. So, I just picked up an 80mm DH stem (25.4mm clamp)...

If that doesn't do it, I'll have go to oversized bars and stem (!).

Tom P.

@adelorenzo
    VSixty also makes a 50 mm rise bar. They are nice and cheap. I was in the same boat as you, wanting to use a FR stem and needing more rise.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    I switched stems this weekend. Went from a 53mm BMX (22.2mm) to an 80mm DH (25.4mm). I used the DMR shims (included with the Wingbars). It worked perfectly - really solid...

Tom P.
    Last edited by one piece crank; 04-06-2009 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    +1 for BMX bars. I'm afraid that my headtube will break before my S&M cruiser bars will. I'm running a 5" rise on a 50mm stem and it seems just about right for my riding style.

NJC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Paid spam - ti riser bars

I am a tall clyde who was frustrated by short headtubes and needed to get my bars higher. Dean made some heavy gauge ti bars for me that worked out great, but I don't need them anymore - they might help someone with this issue - 3.5" rise

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=33885&cat=14