Zach Kowalchuk
    May 2007

Taking a shot at it again.

I'm a little embarrased to admit this, but I'm 14, 5'10"(aprrox) @230lbs.

I've been trying to lose weight for the past I don't know how long, but I kept giving up because of not much support and I was born with depression. There's a chance I could already be or soon coming be diabetic as it runs in the family. So I need to do something about this now.

I ride often but mostly short trails that last 10-15 minutes. But I do ride to a friends house 30ish blocks away from where I live to go riding with him, then back after a couple hours of riding with him. So in 3-4 hours, I can put out 50-60ish km according to my bike computer(that time includes about an hour down by the river though).

I already know a few things I need to cut out of my diet which is energy drinks, coffee, pop and candy. Oh and fast food.

so what I need help with is, what are some good workouts that I can do during the day for 30 minutes or so without leaving the house. I still have school work and I'm homeschooled all online, so I'm stuck at a computer all day normally.

we have an elliptical trainer, mini trampoline, stationary excercise bike and a treadmill. and some dumbbells.
    At the end of the day, my bike is a bike, whether its made for XC singletrack or DH, I can make it do what I want.

slow uphill
    here's my $0.02 based on the progress I've made:
    get on the stationary bike for 30 mins a day - put the resistance at a point that keeps you at 60-70rpm - not where 60-70 is easy, where it takes some work. augment this with your normal trail riding. replace the bike with the elliptical a day or two per week - the cross-training will help. duration is your friend so the longer you can go, the better.

on the diet, cut out what you mentioned. also cut out simple starches - all white bread, baked goods - essentially anything that isn't whole grains/wheat, including processed wheat. eat dark green veggies, fruits, and lean meats - chicken, salmon, lean steak.

the following is subject to your doctor's opinion: at 14, your body is in a great position to recover and improve, and you can still influence your metabolism. diet will be huge here. and you're right - make the changes now.

commit for 1 month to all of the above. you'll see a difference, and that is killer motivation.

The more the better
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    here's my $0.02 based on the progress I've made:
    get on the stationary bike for 30 mins a day - put the resistance at a point that keeps you at 60-70rpm - not where 60-70 is easy, where it takes some work. augment this with your normal trail riding. replace the bike with the elliptical a day or two per week - the cross-training will help. duration is your friend so the longer you can go, the better.

on the diet, cut out what you mentioned. also cut out simple starches - all white bread, baked goods - essentially anything that isn't whole grains/wheat, including processed wheat. eat dark green veggies, fruits, and lean meats - chicken, salmon, lean steak.

the following is subject to your doctor's opinion: at 14, your body is in a great position to recover and improve, and you can still influence your metabolism. diet will be huge here. and you're right - make the changes now.

commit for 1 month to all of the above. you'll see a difference, and that is killer motivation.
    Agreed, my biggest problem was just having snack food laying around and being bored. If your bored you want to find something to eat that isn't necessary. If you even get bored, get your bike and ride somewhere, where you haven't before or take nice walk somewhere. Set goals as well. Say, I'm going to work out 15mintues a day for a week. Once done you will be proud of yourself for not quitting. Now, keeping that goal up, add another. I'm going to replace my snack food with a apple or a healthier snack. Just keep building. I think slowly building up is a lot easier so it just becomes natural and you do it on instinct other then feeling down that you HAVE to work out tonight and so on. Stay with it, and you will have a boost in self-esteem for sure! Good luck
    [SIZE="1"]~~Wicked Sick~~[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Well, for one thing too, DON'T be embarrassed. You are absolutely, positively NOT the only one!!! Even when I was at my best fitness ever, I still had to pay attention to what I ate. Now that I am approaching the big 4-0, and am coming back from a seven year stretch off the bike, yeah...it's not super easy to simply change all your habits. But...I will say that habits are just like muscles, the more you "flex" good habits, the stronger they will become, and then using them will become easier and easier. There have been some great pointers already....veggies, whole grains, etc, etc... here are a couple more..

Personally, I don't give my kids (10yrs and 12yrs) much soda at all. If they are asking for pop, I give them water, or maybe a glass of 2% milk and then magically...they're not thirsty anymore! lol Also, I just never buy sweets to have in the house...those are things that are only "once and while" treats...and that's just what they are, treats. To be had sparsely. So, since your home-schooled, simply ask your mom and/or dad to stop buying high sugar/low nutrition food and drinks. Don't be shy to go shopping with them, and talk about what, and why they are buying what they are. You may be surprised how beneficial this will be for the health of your entire family! It may feel a bit "odd" at first, but anything new, feels just that way.

As for fitness, sounds like you've got some good options. So, I would do whatever you feel like at the time...if you want to ride, go ride...if you want to get on the trainer for a while...do that. Heck, if you want to get on the trainer in the morning then feel like going for a ride in the afternoon......do that! The point is, once you feel like you "have" to do a certain thing...you tend to resist.

I've been on both sides of the spectrum too. When I was growing up, I spent much of my early teens overweight, and sluggish. I fell in love with riding when I was about 15, started doing some races for fun and then found my niche in ultra-endurance riding. Now that I've started riding again, I find myself having to lose about 50lbs!!!! Stick with it, and you'll start to see amazing changes in your body......and mind too!!!!
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

mtbr member
    I agree with what everyone is saying. The hardest thing you will face in trying to loose weight is will power. That is my problem. I know how to do what I need to do to loose weight. Implementing it is the hard part for me. Once I get things going I can go well.

As far as things to do other than riding a bike, sounds like you have some good tools at your house. Use them. Mix it up. I would do 30 minutes every other day. You should be working hard enough to where you can just barely be able to talk to someone if they were standing next to you having a conversation. Also, another tip to weight loss is doing your cardio when you wake up in the morning and BEFORE you eat ANYTHING. The idea behind this is that your body is void of any food for fuel so in order to power you through your workout your body will tap in to fat stores.

Muscle burns fat. Build some. You said you have some dumbbells. Use them. Do some simple movements and build some muscle. Do pushups. Find someplace to build a pullup bar. Do crunches and other body weight exercises. You don't have to be a muscle bound powerlifter but adding a little extra lean mass can only help you overall. It will help burn fat, help you in riding, make you look better and feel better.

BIG and Bald
    Weight training isn't necessarily going to help you loose weight but building muscle will definitely contribute. As mentioned earlier, the longer you can ride on the stationary and the eliptical the more fat you will burn. 30 minutes isn't a bad start but you want to work up to an hour if possible as it typically takes about 20 minutes before your body will actually start to burn fat during a cardiovascular workout. Your HR during this 20 minutes plays a key as well but don't worry about that right now. Just concentrate on making exercise a part of your life.

Don't let your depression get in the way of your fitness or anything else for that matter. On the days you "dont feel like" exercising and riding, do it anyway. This is a bit of mind over matter. You KNOW what you must do so just do it. Easier said than done, I know, but the more you practice it the easier it will become. Don't let ANY excuse keep you from working out. If you're like me, you can justify just about anything at any time. My weight loss motivation typically lasts 2-6 months BUT I never give up. I just regroup and start all over.

If for some reason you do miss a workout or you gain a few pounds or eat something you know you shouldn't, don't worry about it. You can always burn the calories off or make up for it on the next go round. Stay in touch with us. You'll find you'll get ample support from us here. And don't let ANYONE tell you that you'll never loose the weight. Don't listen to ANY negativity that may dampen your spirits. You'll do just fine.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    If You an Elliptical Trainer I suggest You to:

According to the manufacturers, you will be able to shed off a maximum of 720 calories in an hour when working out using an elliptical trainer. This is just a general estimate, however. The actual number of calories that you will burn during one hours of working out using an elliptical trainer will still depend on any of the following factors:

* Interval training.
    * Settings of the elliptical trainer.
    * Upper body usage.
    * Your muscle-to-fat ratio.
    * Your cardiovascular system Ė whether youíre a fitness enthusiast or if itís your first time to exercise.
    * Your gender and weight.

Source: Elliptical Machines

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    You will lose the weight. Your biggest obstacle right now, from what I hear in your speech is self esteem. I was a big kid at your age too, it was shitty, but it does end, like all things.

All I can say is, try something new, crazier maybe, outside of your original comfort zone and stimulating enough to pursue, ride out to somewhere you've never gone and make it your place. Ride out there to do your homework, find a way to stay dry if you could.. you need to break with whatever psychology has put you into your situation and weight. Share your stories with a friend, start throwing your excursions and stories on something like here, in the motivational section, or even Facebook.

Reading Zen & the art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and the followup book, Lila, has taught me personally to see the quality in crazy, chaotic, seemingly miss-placed things that I would normally dismiss, and it has been like going back to when I was 14. I dont know if you can wrap your mind around it yet, but make the things you do in your next 6 years as chaotic as possible.

Develop a feel for the quality in the unusual things you do, and things like self esteem will resolve themselves, and the validation you might seek from others will be replaced with a thirst for bewilderment... follow that path.

I feel like I'm talking to a 14 year old me

Edit: Just remembered.. at this age, if your image is something you feel you need to work out for a girl or to be attractive to them.. just remember that while guys find guys disgusting, and you'll see yourself as such, a girl likes the look of a guy more than that guy likes his own. Just keep that in mind.. they like you and enjoy your company more than you like & enjoy yourself. Its the truth.
    Last edited by The Red; 07-30-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    At 14 years old I went from 265lbs and flabby after trying to recover from 9 months of broken leg and rehab to 235lbs of 7% body fat XC mountain bike racer in just a few months by doing nothing more than riding my bike, and riding it hard. My diet was basically broccoli, pasta, and baked chicken.

12 years later I am a little smarter about the whole deal but the principals are the same.

Stop drinking soda (or at least cut back), that can make a big difference. My problem was milk, switching from 2% to skim is an easy 1-2lbs a week for me. Doing for your future health is whats important - you're young and like others have said, if its hard now it will only get harder as you get older so getting a good pattern set at this point will benefit you for the rest of your life. I'm not as fast or light as I was then but I always know that I can hop on the bike and feel better mentally and physically. I don't have to guess what will work for me... and its all because of what I did when I was 14.

mtbr member
    nothing new to add here regarding cutting out soda and sweets (or at least cutting those down a lot), but just wanted to say good job to posting something out here. you feel it's important enough to ask for advice and that's great! it's easier said than done to just not feel embarrassed, but really focus on things you like about yourself- that works wonders.

as orangedog said, seeing results is killer motivation- you will feel a ton better about yourself and that goes a long way to keep the ball rolling! hang in there and if you ever need a boost in motivation, confidence, self-esteem, don't hesitate to post here.

good luck- start those good habits now and you'll be well rewarded later in life!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Avoid processed foods and drinks in any quantities. As you stray from whole foods, you can start to mess with the feedback mechanisms that tell your body it's hungry. Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables help you feel fuller.

The biggest thing is it has to be a lifestyle change, and at 14, your peers probably aren't exactly the best decision makers, and probably won't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Stay positive! Keep up with the forums here, start a journal, seek out blogs from others going thru the same process. Don't get frustrated. These changes come over time. Stick with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Do your schoolwork during the day. As soon as your done, get on your bike, get some headphones, fill up a few water bottles and ride the bike until dark. Do it everyday. Use that time to both clear your head and exercise your body. Train your brain that the pain it feels is just temporary. And when your done riding, don't come home and stuff your face. Calories in < Calories out. Simple math.

AZ
    banned
    How about a progress report from the O.P.