Gangsta Rappin' Pirate

Swinger 3-way users: How are they holding up?

I posted recently about my older Trek needing a new rear shock as the stock Vanilla R is too old for places like PUSH to rebuild. So, I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to a Manitou Swinger 3-way, but I'm just curious as to how they're holding up to Clyde abuse. From past threads I've gone through they seem to do the job just fine, but I'm wondering how they're holding up for those of you who have had them for a while. Thanks!
    -Big Ben
    Trek VRX Big GREEN MONSTER

Hard as nails

200lbs

With gear and stuff! I ride it on a Giant Vt doing aggro all mtn type of riding. Love all the tech lines and few drops along the way and it has done well. No problems with leaking air. No probs to report as of yet. Good shock

mtbr member
    I have mine on a Raleigh Phase 2, the shock was great! It didn't bob during pedaling but reacted to bumps. I say WAS great because I noticed it was leaking air (it was brand new). These things happen though, I'm sure it was something from the factory.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    So, I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to a Manitou Swinger 3-way, but I'm just curious as to how they're holding up to Clyde abuse. From past threads I've gone through they seem to do the job just fine, but I'm wondering how they're holding up for those of you who have had them for a while. Thanks!
    A Swinger 3-way is the shock that came on my 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint. It needed to be rebuilt twice in a year's time. It hasn't been rebuilt at all in the past year, but that's because I've stopped using it. (I'm using a Cane Creek Cloud Nine now.) I weigh around 205 lbs w/o riding gear; probably between 210-215 with gear. I would inflate the main chamber of the Swinger 3-way to 190-200psi and ran minimal pressure (50psi) in the SPV chamber.

mtbr member
    Wow, it really isn't good for that shock to be set up incorrectly. SPV is set up according to weight. At ~210 on the bike with gear, your SPV should never be under 105psi. I'm not surprised you aren't happy with it. You can download the user's manual from the website

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by psunuc
    Wow, it really isn't good for that shock to be set up incorrectly. SPV is set up according to weight. At ~210 on the bike with gear, your SPV should never be under 105psi. I'm not surprised you aren't happy with it. You can download the user's manual from the website
    The Iron Horse Hollowpoint doesn't do well with a lot of low speed compression damping. Setting the SPV chamber at 105 PSI for this bike results in a terribly harsh ride. That figure of 50-70% of rider's weight is a ballpark to get into the "right" zone for (presumably) some other kind of suspension. I've just looked over the manual again and it does not appear to me that these percentages of rider weight represent any sort of minimum or maximum value. The manual clearly states that the pressure range is between 50-175 psi. I chose to run the shock near the minimum in order to eliminate as much platform from the shock as possible.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got about 400 miles on mine so far this year (since early May). It was the stock unit on my Fisher Cake 2DLX.

I'm running 110 psi in the SPV and 160 in the main (I'm 6' 235 w/o gear and likely closer to 250 with all my junk) and it treats me fine. I run things little higher up as the Cake is a single pivot and I find it seems to feel sharper and more efficient running a little more stiff and with more platform...still not what I'd consider harsh, though.

Just my thoughts.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Gangsta Rappin' Pirate
    Thanks for all of the great feedback guys! 165mm (6.5") shocks are getting tougher to find these days and the 3-way seems like it might make a good fit for me. Are any of you using the 3-way on a single-pivot? My VRX is a single-pivot and I've since e-mailed Trek about this situation to make sure that the leverage ratio won't be too much for the shock. I'll probably e-mail Manitou directly as well just to get their take on it. Any of you tried to rebuild/service your 3-way yourselves? I've read several reviews about it that indicate the job is relatively straight forward & simple, but I just want to get a better veiw of this. Thanks again!
    -Big Ben

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for all of the great feedback guys! 165mm (6.5") shocks are getting tougher to find these days and the 3-way seems like it might make a good fit for me. Are any of you using the 3-way on a single-pivot?
    I don't ride a single pivot, but I believe that the swinger 3-way will be a good match for that type of suspension. FWIW, the leverage ratio that I was using with my Swinger 3-way was 3:1.
    Any of you tried to rebuild/service your 3-way yourselves? I've read several reviews about it that indicate the job is relatively straight forward & simple, but I just want to get a better veiw of this.
    Can you post links to these reviews? (Perhaps I'll rethink my decision not to do work on this shock...)

I considered trying to service the shock myself, but in the end decided against it. The shock was still under warranty at the time and I figured that doing my own work on the shock might void the warranty.

The service manual, which is downloadable from Answer's web site, is very good -- one of the best that I've seen. That said, some of the procedures require special shock-specific tools which I do not have. (I've lubed and replaced the seals in my Fox shocks and Cane Creek Cloud Nine. By way of comparison, these procedures are relatively easy and do not require special tools.)

Have Cake and beat it 2
    I was going to say I going to watch this thread with interest as I have a fisher cake 2 dlx on laybuy with the swinger 3 way, but psycho_mike is running almost exact weight to me with the same bike, with no problems. But I will still keep an eye on the thread to see how others went.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    swinger are ok but in the long run just like trek they suck. if you are over 200 look at dt swiss or roco with spring assit if you ride off road.

Gangsta Rappin' Pirate
    Kevin, the one review that I can find quickly that speaks of a rebuild (actually, it's more like maintenence/servicing I guess) is the 4th or 5th one down the page here:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Sho...t_121945.shtml

It's not very detailed of course, but it may give some insight into it.

I received a response from Trek yesterday about this and the rep said that the 3-way won't fit the bike. I'm not sure exactly why as he didn't say, but I'll inquire about that today. Assuming the shock itself is the correct length (6.5") and the stroke the same (1.5") the only other issue I can think of is that the housing itself might not be shaped in a way that will fit the mounting brackets. Anybody else ever come across a situation like that with any shocks (not necessarily the 3-way)? Sorry for all the questions, but this might turn out to be a pain in the butt.
    -Big Ben

Gangsta Rappin' Pirate

Upset

Ugh, well I guess it turns out that the ol' VRX' use an odd-sized shock: 6.5" x 1.25" so I guess finding a replacement won't be so simple after all. Back to the drawing board....
    -Big Ben

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    no that is a odd size your only option if money is a question is tho make a clamp that fits over the shock body and have a coil made for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ugh, well I guess it turns out that the ol' VRX' use an odd-sized shock: 6.5" x 1.25" so I guess finding a replacement won't be so simple after all. Back to the drawing board....
    Contact PUSH and see if they can sell you a 6.5x1.5 RP3 which has been travel reduced to 1.25. (I bet they can install a thicker bottom out bumper for you.)